BIS 2010 Triennial Central Bank Survey

The [B]BIS Triennial Central Bank Survey for 2010[/B] has just been released by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Basel, Switzerland.

This report, issued every three years, is one of our most important source-documents for studying the size, distribution and evolution of the worldwide forex market.

Here’s a link to the 95-page .pdf of the 2010 Triennial Survey — http://www.bis.org/publ/rpfxf10t.pdf

The change you will notice first in the 2010 Survey, compared to previous Surveys, is the use of more graphics to illustrate relationships, sizes and percentages.

The 2010 Survey appears, at first glance, to be longer and more detailed than the 2007 Survey (which has been our reference manual for the past three years). However, the apparent difference in size is due to the fact that the entire 2010 Survey downloads in a single .pdf, including the section titled Statistical Annex Tables. In the 2007 Survey, those tables are contained in a separate .pdf.

The BIS Triennial Survey covers the world — the whole $4-TRILLION-per-day global business of buying and selling money.

There’s no better source for information on the big picture. We can learn a lot about our market by digging into this resource.

More later.

[B]An overview of the BIS 2010 Triennial Central Bank Survey:[/B]

[B]1. [/B]The 2010 Triennial Survey reports the results of two very large, very distinct statistical analyses of the worldwide foreign exchange market:

[B]a.[/B] The first analysis is a study of [B]total foreign exchange turnover[/B] during a one-month period (April 2010), reported as per-day averages in 6 categories (spot forex plus 5 categories of derivatives). Then, these averages are further sliced-and-diced and reported by country, by currency, by currency-pair, by counterparty, by maturity, and by method of execution.

[B]This is the part of the 2010 Triennial Survey that concerns us directly, as retail spot forex traders,[/B] because all of the data gathered on the size and distribution of the spot forex market is reported in this half of the Survey.

[B]b.[/B] The second analysis is a study of [B]notional amounts outstanding[/B] in 5 categories of foreign exchange derivatives, at one particular point in time (June 30, 2010). The 5 classes of derivatives are: outright forwards, foreign exchange swaps, currency swaps, options, and “other” products. (Yes, apparently, foreign exchange swaps and currency swaps are different things.)

This half of the Survey deals with all the elements of the foreign exchange market EXCEPT spot forex.

[B]2.[/B] Keywords to look for, when skimming the Survey or its Table of Contents, are [I]turnover[/I] and [I]amounts outstanding[/I]. Our market, the retail spot forex market, will be included in tabulations of turnover, but not in tabulations of amounts outstanding.

[B]3.[/B] The first thing we get from the 2010 Survey is the overall size of the foreign exchange market. But right away, there’s confusion, because 3 different totals are reported in different places in the Survey: $3.98 trillion/day, $5.06 trillion/day, and $5.53 trillion/day. We have to dig down to Table D.3 on page 38 to get a readable explanation of these numbers. There we find out that the $5-trillion figures are “raw” figures, compiled directly from the data submitted to the BIS from the 53 participating central banks; and we find out that these “raw” figures are subject to a variety of adjustments and corrections.

$3.98 trillion per day is the [I]adjusted/corrected[/I] total daily turnover in the worldwide foreign exchange market, including spot turnover, and turnover in the various foreign exchange derivatives. The BIS refers to this $3.98-trillion figure as the [I]“net-net”[/I] figure — and that’s another keyword to watch for when reading the various charts and tables in the Survey.

[B]4.[/B] Of this $3.98-trillion-per-day total, $1.49 trillion per day is the “net-net” daily turnover in the worldwide spot forex market (our market). This $1.49-trillion figure includes retail spot forex (our corner of the market), and institutional spot forex (hedge funds, etc.).

[I]Spot turnover[/I] essentially means the notional value (in USD) of all spot forex trades. Thus, if you open a 1-mini-lot position in USD/JPY, or USD/CAD, or any other USD-base pair, you will be contributing 10,000 USD to spot turnover in your country.

If you open a 1-mini-lot position in a GBP-base pair, you will be contributing the USD-equivalent of 10,000 GBP to spot turnover in your country. And so forth.

[B]5.[/B] Of this $1.49 trillion per day in spot turnover, $745 billion per day (50%) is transacted in U.K./Europe; $399 billion per day (26.8%) is transacted in North America; and $294 billion per day (19.7%) is transacted in Asia/Pacific. The rest of the world accounts for the remaining 3.5% of total spot forex turnover.

[B]6.[/B] Rounded numbers:

[B]Global foreign exchange turnover (spot plus derivatives) — $4 trillion per day.

Global spot turnover — $1.5 trillion per day.

U.K./Europe spot turnover — $750 billion per day.

North America spot turnover — $400 billion per day.

Asia/Pacific spot turnover — $300 billion per day.[/B]

[B]7.[/B] Trends, from 2007 to 2010:

Global foreign exchange turnover increased 21%, from $3.3 trillion per day (2007) to $4 trillion per day (2010).

Global spot forex turnover increased 50% from $1 trillion per day (2007) to $1.5 trillion per day (2010).

Global spot forex turnover increased as a percentage of global foreign exchange turnover:
from 30.2% (of the $3.3-trillion market) in 2007, to 37.4% (of the $4-trillion market) in 2010.

The USD was involved in 84.9% of all foreign currency transactions in 2010, down from 85.6% in 2007.
Percentages for other major currencies: EUR 39.1%, up from 37%; JPY 19%, up from 17.2%; GBP 12.9%, down from 14.9%; AUD 7.6%, up from 6.6%; CHF 6.4%, down from 6.8%; and CAD 5.3%, up from 4.3%.

The 6 major currency pairs accounted for 66% of turnover in the $4-trillion-per-day global market in 2010:
EUR/USD 28%; USD/JPY 14%; GBP/USD 9%; AUD/USD 6%; USD/CAD 5%; and USD/CHF 4%.

Concentration in the banking industry continues. In 2010, 75% of all foreign currency turnover in the U.K. was handled by just 9 U.K. banks, down from 12 banks in 2007; and 75% of all foreign currency turnover in the U.S. was handled by just 7 U.S. banks, down from 10 banks in 2007.

[B]8.[/B] The $1.5-trillion-per-day spot forex market consists of a [I]retail[/I] portion and an [I]institutional[/I] portion. The market we trade is the [I]retail[/I] spot forex market, and many of us would like to know how large this market is, and how it is distributed geographically.

The BIS does not furnish this information directly, which means that the best we can do is to attempt reasonable estimates (or guess-timates) of its size and scope. I’ll leave that attempt for another time.

For the first half of the BIS 2010 Triennial Survey (the portion which deals with foreign exchange turnover), the BIS collected data from 53 central banks around the world. Each central bank furnished data (collected from large commercial banks, and other sources within their own country) on foreign exchange transactions occurring during April 2010.

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York (the NY Fed) is the branch of the U.S. Federal Reserve System tasked with gathering these data for the U.S. market, and submitting them to the BIS. In July, the NY Fed released their data. Then, in September, the BIS published a preliminary summary of worldwide data, followed in early December by the final 2010 Survey.

Here’s a link to the NY Fed’s Semi-Annual Survey (FXC Survey) — http://www.newyorkfed.org/fxc/volumesurvey/2010/aprilfxsurvey2010.pdf

Table 2f.in the FXC Survey has information on the average number of trades placed daily, along with average daily turnover in dollars, for spot forex transactions and 3 categories of derivatives transactions, in North America. Here’s the Table:

I divided the average daily turnover (next to last column on the right) by the average number of trades placed (last column on the right), for each of the 4 instruments listed, and came up with the following average trade sizes:

Spot forex --------------------- $1,279,844 average size of trade

Outright forwards ------------- $3,771,071 average size of trade (almost 3 times the size of the average spot forex trade)

Foreign exchange swaps — $47,672,848 average size of trade (over 37 times the size of the average spot forex trade)

OTC FX options -------------- $21,786,999 average size of trade (17 times the size of the average spot forex trade)

These trade sizes illustrate why we should try to segregate spot forex trade data from all other foreign exchange trade data when we talk about the size of our market: because to do otherwise is to mix apples and oranges.

Our market, the $1.5-trillion-per-day spot forex market, is not like any of the foreign exchange derivatives markets.

And, when we are able, finally, to isolate retail spot forex trade data, from institutional spot forex trade data, I think we will find that retail and institutional are very different from each other.

Just an addendum to Clint’s very thorough and insightful analysis above. :cool:

Kathy Lien reported that the BIS last week released an in depth report (pages 27-40) explaining what is behind the increase in FX volume over the past 3 years.

As Clint reported above, daily FX volume has reached $4 trillion, a 20% growth from 2007.

Here’s a summary of the BIS’ findings:

[B]1. Greater Activity by High Frequency Traders[/B]

• EBS Spot Ai was a key turning point for the algorithmic trading market
  • Introduced in 2005, it gave major institutions access to the inter-dealer market
  • Between 2007 and 2010, its share of trading on EBS grew from 28 to 45%
  • CME also launched an algo platform in 2002 and over the past 3 years, the turnover in FX volume has more than doubled
  • High Freq trading is estimated to account for 25% of spot FX activity
    [B]
  1. More Trading by Smaller Banks[/B]
  • Greenwich Associates estimates that more than 50% of total FX volume is conducted electronically
  • The cost effectiveness and increased competition have lowered transaction costs, giving smaller banks and retail investors better access to the market which has in turn increased turnover
    [B]
  1. Emergence of Retail Investors[/B] (US!!!) :smiley:
  • BIS estimates that retail investors accounts for 8-10% of spot FX volume ($125-$150B a day)
  • In Japan, retail investors represent 30% or more of spot trading volume

Also, the financial crisis occurred between the 2 survey periods which means that some of the increase in trading volume can also be attributed to the use of spot FX to hedge risk exposures in other markets. For example, it was quite popular to hedge the decline in U.S. stocks with long Japanese Yen exposure.

Interesting stuff huh?

Also, there’s a great discussion going on in this thread on the 1st topic - Algorithmic Trading and “the death of retail trading”.

Hello, [I]inspira[/I], thanks for your post.

For anyone who hasn’t followed the link to the [B]BIS Quarterly Review, December 2010,[/B] which [I]inspira[/I] provided, here is a key section (copied and pasted from pages 39-40).

This section describes our market — the retail spot forex market — in more detail than the BIS has offered previously.

I have re-formatted these paragraphs to fit this forum, and I have removed the footnotes. Otherwise, the wording has not been changed.

Growing importance of retail as an investor class

More than any other customer segment, electronic trading has opened up the foreign exchange market to retail investors – a trend highlighted already in the discussion of the 2007 Triennial survey (Galati and Heath (2007)). Trading by households and small non-bank institutions has grown enormously, with market participants reporting that it now accounts for an estimated 8–10% of spot FX turnover globally ($125–150 billion per day). Japanese retail investors are the most active, with market estimates suggesting this segment represents 30% or more of spot Japanese yen trading (ie more than $20 billion per day).

Retail FX trading takes place over the internet via a new type of financial institution, the retail aggregator. A retail aggregator is a financial firm that acts as a FX intermediary, aggregating bid-offer quotes from the top FX dealing banks and facilitating trades by retail investors. Some retail aggregators act purely as FX brokers, matching retail trades with quotes from banks. Other retail aggregators combine a broker model with a dealer model; they may act as the counterparty for some retail trades while passing others directly to the banks. Based on the quantity of business transacted by their customer base, retail aggregators secure a commitment from the biggest FX banks to provide them with tight bid-ask quotes. Competing quotes are streamed live to customers via the retail aggregator’s online platform, typically with a small markup of one pip or less for the major currency pairs. Retail customers primarily trade spot in the major currencies, although the number of emerging market currencies offered is growing.

Retail investors are attracted to FX by the long trading hours, the deep market liquidity, the low transaction costs and the ability to generate leverage. Retail customers create leverage by trading via a margin account with the retail aggregator. The initial cash deposit is used to secure the larger notional value of their positions, with the margin requirement varying across jurisdictions. When a trade is executed, the retail aggregator settles it against the margin in the customer’s account.

The rapid growth of retail FX trading has led to increased regulation. Regulators have introduced registration of online FX dealers, raised their capital requirements and introduced other measures to protect consumers such as requiring the segmentation of customer funds. The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission recently reduced the cap on retail leverage from 100:1 to 50:1 for major currencies (and 20:1 for other currencies). Japan’s Financial Services Authority also reduced leverage to 50:1, with plans to reach 25:1 by 2011. Greater regulation has led to consolidation in this industry, with the number of retail aggregators in the United States declining from 47 in 2007 to 11 today and in Japan from over 500 in 2005 to around 70 today. In the United Kingdom and continental Europe, however, there are currently no limits on leverage and limited regulation, creating the potential for regulatory arbitrage.

In the second paragraph, above, “retail aggregators” refers to retail forex brokers.

The BIS describes one group of retail aggregators which follow a “broker” model in their handling of customer trades; we would call these brokers “STP brokers”.

And they describe a second group of retail aggregators which follow a “dealer” model — that is, they operate as counterparty to some or all of the customer trades which they handle; we would call these brokers “market makers”.

I think it’s interesting that the BIS recognizes a “broker” model, and a “dealer” model; whereas the U.S. CFTC refers to ALL of them as “dealers”, and says that ALL of them operate as market-makers, and ALL of them trade against their customers.

Thanks, [B]cubanpip[/B]

I don’t know why it didn’t work for me, the first time. I’ll edit that paragraph out of my post, so as not to confuse anyone.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I’m trying to discover (or to estimate) the dimensions of the [B]retail[/B] spot forex market vs. the [B]institutional[/B] spot forex market.

Specifically, I’m trying to determine:

[ul]
[li]the average size of a retail spot forex trade, and the average number of retail trades made globally per day, and
[/li]

[li]the average size of an institutional spot forex trade, and the average number of institutional trades made per day.
[/li][/ul]

I’ve been using three reference sources: the [B]BIS Triennial Survey[/B] (December 2010), the [B]BIS Quarterly Review[/B] (December 2010), and the [B]New York Fed FXC Survey[/B] (July 2010). These sources contain a wealth of information, but none of them offers details on average trade size, and average number of trades per day, for the two segments of the spot forex market.

So, I have taken the available data and made some estimates, and I’ve arranged these estimates in a table which I call Worldwide Spot Forex Market Metrics.

Before I post those estimates here, I’d like to get them vetted by someone qualified to confirm, or refine, them.

Two weeks ago, I sent an email to the FX Committee at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (the NY Fed) asking for their estimates of retail and institutional metrics (for just the U.S. market).

Then, one week ago, I requested the same information from GCPfx, an institutional forex broker in New Jersey.

I’m sorry to say that neither of them has (yet) bothered to reply to my inquiry.

Yesterday morning, I sent an email to Michael King at the BIS in Switzerland, asking for his input. He’s one of the authors of the article on retail forex in the BIS Quarterly Review, part of which I quoted in a previous post.

I received a robo-reply to my email, saying that Mr. King will be out of the office until Wednesday (tomorrow), and will answer my email at that time.

So, [I]Lord willin’ and the crick don’t rise[/I], maybe within a few days we’ll have some useable numbers.

I have received a very prompt reply from Michael King at the BIS, giving us some very useful information on average trade sizes in the retail and institutional segments of the spot forex market:

Dear Clint,

Thanks for sending me this analysis. I agree with most of your estimates but think your estimates
of average trade size are incorrect. Let me explain.

As you can tell from the article in the BIS Quarterly, we do not have any data on the actual size
of the retail market. Like yourself, we had to rely on estimates from various sources. I interviewed
a number of US-based retail trading platforms (eg FXCM, FX Dealer Direct, Gain Capital) and read
whatever I could find published on the web or in the industry press. I attach several articles, one
from Greenwich Associates and one from the Bank of Japan. Such sources consistently point to an
estimate of 8-10% of the daily spot FX turnover, which you use below. But I stress that this is an
estimate.

In terms of the average trade size, we did get indicative sizes from several retail aggregators that
suggest the weighted average trade size is around $50,000 per trade, with a range across 4
platforms from $12,000 to $68,000. These estimates do not include Japan, where we know retail
trading of FX is very important.

Based on proprietary data shared with us, the average trade size on 10 multibank trading and
broking platforms is around $2,000,000, so much smaller than your estimate. I think the problem
is your estimates of (f) and (g). I suggest that you use the estimates above of $50,000 and
$2,000,000 and then back out the average number of trades per day based on the total turnover.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Michael

Based on the figures suggested by Michael King, here is my estimate of how the spot forex market divides up: