Wanted: Forex API that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I’m a software developer and I am interested in building a web based trading platform. However, in looking for an API, I realise that some brokers require you pay them truck loads of money, before you can even think of using their API’s.

I looked at Forex.com, as well as Oanda, but these guys want money I am not willing to invest right away.

Is there an API out there, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, or perhaps something that I can use in “demo” mode, and pay the provider once we are starting to make a profit?

Also, is there a “demo” forex data stream that I can use for free?

Would supporting the FIX protocol be the best approach, to support a bigger number of brokers? Also if so, is there a FIX mockup for Forex that can be used for development purposes?

Have you tried mashable.com?

Have a look at FXCM.

I’ve been using Dukascopy’s JForex. It’s free to use and pretty easy to develop with…although the documentation is not the greatest in the world with some trial and error you should be able to figure it out.

I’m a developer as well if you ever feel like discussing some ideas give me a shout.

Cool stuff, it seems Dukascopy would be my best bet. I’m only concerned about getting CSV historical data for last year at present. Will be using this as test data for graphs etc. playing it back as if it is this years data.

I suppose the format of data does not matter as much, as we can always develop adapters to deal with different types and formats of data.

Why why why Oh why would you want to waste your time on such folly? I’m intrigued!

In what way does your reply contribute to this question? If it’s such a waste of time to you, why bother posting?

Like I said I’m intrigued, is it some kind of special facility you require, or you just think it’s an interesting project, I’m quite an accomplished programmer and have programmed using API’s, I’m also an experienced project manager, and the first rule of project management is to establish and understand the end goal.

Ok, my opinion at the moment is that it’s a total waste of time and I think your efforts and skills may be better used otherwise, but I’m still willing to help if that’s what you want to do!

The above response has given me the answer I initially wanted. I appreciate your participation.

I’m using apirates.com for my web application.
They provide real time Forex Data API in JSON format with 20 seconds updates. It is perfect for web apps and web based trading apps/indicators as well.