Brokers with commission

What is the advantage of a broker offering a narrow spread plus commission if the total fee is the same as a broker with no commission?

I am specifically reffering to Pepperstones Razor account (commission plus minimum spread) and am wondering what the advantage is over the standard account (no commission normal spread).

Nobody has a broker with commission?

Hi Richhand,

With regards to Pepperstone: the Razor a/c was designed with scalpers in mind, while the Standard a/c is mostly designed for longer-term traders (swing,position traders). So it depends on your style of trading.

[ Info Credit: Johnathon Fox: View Profile: Forex School Online - BabyPips.com Forex Forum ]

Hi dudest,

I understand that but I feel that someone like Oanda with their low spreads and no commision would be better than Peppersone Razor since you can take into account the total fee (via the spread) when you are planning the scalp. With commission there would be a missing price element that would only be seen with the execution of the trade.

But I understand that trading is very personal and some may prefer this, I just don’t think it is for me.

One more thing that you should factor into cost is slippage, there are some brokers that are worse than others in this area. As a rule of thumb brokers with tighter spreads will have more slippage.

I personally don’t think a commission broker offers advantages that a none commission broker does.

I tried Pepperstone Razor account because of it’s tight spreads but when my first trade went through I had a $.40 profit but it took out $1.50 worth of commissions plus swap fees and I was down $-1.68.

For my small account I generally only makes $2 - $3 per trade. So the profits will mostly be sucked up by commissions and not leave much to grow the account. For my small account this is not the right kind of broker that is good for me.

I have another account with FX Choice that has reasonably tight spreads and it doesn’t take out commissions, it works out a lot better, at least I don’t see unreasonable deduction coming out of my profits.

The commission charges for each trades, is like being punished for making that trade. It maybe more bearable when you make more per trade to leave enough profits behind but if it doesn’t, you’re really taking a beating each time a trade happens.

makes no difference. trading costs are trading costs, be it a dime or two nickels. compare the total cost of each trade (round trip) and if they’re very close, look at other aspects such as slippage control, deposit / withdrawal fees, dormant account times & fees, etc.

and then ignore the broker and get on with the actual trading. if the broker is a good one, you won’t notice them and you’ll just notice your account going up (or down).

it is just a business model chosen by a broker.

you should also consider other factors, like execution, slippage, chart features, connection stability, customer service, among other things.

The account you are talking about is ECN.

ECN will give you more accurate rates and ore liquidity. Very important for scalpers.

Personally I prefer trading with ECN broker.

I trade with Pepperstone myself…my last trade i made £320 in around 30seconds scalping. (cost me £45 in commission)

If i had done this trade on a standard account and paid a spread instead I would of paid less to the broker but would of made less money off the movement as it would not of been as liquid

Find what works for you and stick to it

Yes, of course have related brokers with commission in demo account of forex trade.

One more factor that you should aspect into price is slipping, there are some agents that are more intense than others in this place. As a concept agents with more restrictive propagates will have more slipping.

It would seem foolish to me to sign up with Pepperstone without going through the Aslan Group as an introducing broker. I read somewhere that the rebate adds to to be almost 30% of your commissions fees. Since your broker fees are your biggest expense in this business (assuming you’ve got positive expectancy in the trades themselves) it would be like a clothing retailer getting 1/3 off the cost to produce their goods. Or maybe being able to pay their workers 1/3 less…I dunno if paying people to work at their stores is more expensive than the cost of the actual goods for places like Old Navy and stuff. I guess another example would be the cost of the raw ingredients at a restaurant or something.

Taking a 1/3 bite out of your biggest expense is no joke imho.

Interactivebrokers.com
mbtrading.com

tdameritrade.com

4xp.com?

What do people think?