How long do you trade?

I am curious how long you would stay in it? Should it be constant and you spend your days watching the Forex, or do you trade for a bit and take some time off? I am kinda lost here, and very curious as to what experienced traders do. I just can’t see myself watching day in and day out, all day long.

I think for most it is a daily thing, I think once you start it gets in your blood. I suppose you could do it for a bit and then stop, but you aren’t gonna make much money like that probably.

I agree. You have to watch Forex like you would watch the weather, and learn it’s subtle signs.

Well, perhaps as long as it challenges you when you are losing

and motivates you as well by winning…

In short, it will always get into your nerves if you allow yourself to be addicted to it…

I want to be consistent in Forex and want to trade on daily basis. It is very necessary because if we do Forex in intervals it is not good for us and we can loose our focus on Forex.

roughly 12hrs when I don’t have job. If I have day job, 4-6hrs or LO/NY session.

Not really an “experienced” trader yet, but I hold my trades for about a week or so. It really depends on the personality and time available for each trader. Some like to exit after only a few pips while some like to buy/sell and then hold their position for a couple of weeks.

I normally trade above 01 hour chart. So 02 - 03 hours per day is enough for me.

24/7… When I am not working, eating, sleeping…:smiley:

I trade all day every day. Otherwise I just miss too many good signals.

VictoriaJensen, that is the crux of the matter: what is meant by ‘trading’?

The greatest traders of history would be watching the markets a lot, but placing relatively few trades on;

think, for example, of Jesse Livermore…

When it comes to ‘trading’ all day, there is often a mismatch between perception and reality: I suspect that

a lot of more experienced traders soon understand that it is a game of ‘quality over quantity’… Timing a

risk aversion move in the current markets (think of shorting the S&P 500 at the heights it is at, for example)

could make you millions in a single trade, if your timing was right, and over-write hundreds of smaller trades

in one swift move… Sorry for jumping on you, it was more that your words made me want to drop in this

observation… x

You’re right, I should’ve expressed myself more clearly. By saying “I trade all day every day” I mean that I am looking at the charts all day, waiting for a signal. Placing a trade for the sake of placing a trade is not wise. That said, I won’t see the signal on time if I’m not looking at the charts all the time though.

That’s fine…Are you a full-time trader? If so, would you share with the group how/when you made the jump to going full-time?

i trade with 4h time frame. i think it is effective with me. i keep my order about 1-2 days

PS: nice blog!
Victoria Forex: EUR/USD Will Continue Range

Keep up the good work!

Oh, thank you so much!

I’m not exactly a full-time trader. I just work at home and because of that I have no set work hours, so I am able to combine the two successfully enough.

Excellent! We hope that you are feeling better, now!

Feel free to contribute to this thread:

http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/67570-working-full-time-trading.html

I am feeling a bit better, thank you! And I will check it out, thanks for the recommendation.