I hope that I'm right

Hello everyone,

Recently, I started to bring my attention to S/R levels. I am still leaning my way up for technical analysis for my trade decisions.

So here it is: It is sitting on quite a support level here that has been tested for several times in the past. For now my decision about this chart is that I want to see what happens after. It’s either a retracement or reversal of trends. However, selling this pair is extremely difficult, as there are tons and tons of support. I’ll wait for a price refusal at some point of the retracement, and enter with a buy position, target for 0.8353.

I kow that AUD/USD and NZD/USD are some difficullt pairs to trade, but there are not that many other major pairs with clear direction.

Thanks for your commets!

Wllen1

I dislike the word “hope” in your title. Hope infers that you’re unsure. That’s not good. What are the criteria you have defined in your trading plan for executing a trade with the highest probability of success? We want to take out the hesitancy and lack of surety by absolutely knowing when we step into the market. That way when we have a clear yes, we can act with confidence. Everything else falls into the “no” and no action column.

That being said; I’m watching the AUDUSD for long opportunities as well. I want to see a pull back and a rejection on a strong/recent S/R level with a candlestick formation confirming price is ready to move in my favor. If I don’t see those things, then I don’t trade.

Hahaha thank you buddy. I’m not that sure of my decisions these days, but hopefully they will come back with time and success.

Regarding S/R levels of AUD/USD, I am watching at 1.0407, and then 1.0367 if the previous one doesnt hold.

I’m pretty positive about my analyse this time, and also expect to see a retracement in the days to come, as the rejection pinbars near some obvious resistance level tell us that this trend needs a break.

As far as fondamental environment is concerned, they are not that bad and isn’t likely to change in the months to come.

Sounds good to you?

Wllen1

For the most part, yes. I take a slightly different approach when I analyze charts.

I don’t know what strategy you trade; so take this as solely an opinion and not necessarily pertinent to your strategy but…

1. I don’t worry about fundamentals at all. I’m a Price Action trader. The only thing I care about is potential news events that can cause erratic movements. So before I take any trade, I always check an economic calendar to see what’s coming up before I enter. That’s the extent of my fundamental analysis.

2. I don’t bother worrying about S/R levels until I see a candlestick formation. Why? Because you can spend all day mapping S/R lines on a variety of charts and never have a real opportunity develop on them. Instead, I’ll go through probably two dozen charts and just look for the candlestick formations I want to see. If they are there, then I look at S/R levels and whether or not this trade has potential.

By doing so, I’m not limiting myself to just a pair or two and the absolutely perfect circumstances required to execute a trade.

Also- if this is an OANDA chart and you’re trading on Daily, you should know that you’re going to be reading a different chart than many other day timeframe traders. I think you were the one I was talking to about the NY close charts. (Short-term memory is less than great sometimes.)

yes I was the guy asking for NY close chart, as I realized that mamy mentionned that Oanda is not NY close charts.

So if I get what you mean, we consider seriously one pair once we see a candlestick formation (pinbar, hammer, shooting star, doji, etc) by checking whether it’s at an important level or not.

Just asking, because this is so difficult for me to do… But even if these two conditions occur, I still have to see what they do next day right? Because on a level means that they could POTENTIALLY do something, but the whole thing could evolve elsewhere, as the candle keep progressing though the day.

Thanks for your help!

Wllen1

A candlestick is not considered valid until it is closed. This is the rule. That’s why people that trade dailies off the NY charts tend to do their analysis between 5pm and 7pm (eastern) right after the candlestick closes so they can get their trades set up before Tokyo opens which is a much higher volatility time overseas. It’s a nice, quiet time in the markets that won’t have your trades too off from additional data that’s emerging. You just ignore the candle that is presently open.

So my analysis would go like so.

5:05 pm I sit down and open EURUSD. I see a Bearish Engulfing sitting at a strong point of resistance on a pull back that is in favor with a trend. I now have a majority of the information I need to decide if I want to take this trade. Now I check S/R levels that would be in front of the price and look for economic events with a High Volatility potential that would affect the Euro or Dollar specifically. If everything comes out favorably, I take the trade.

Candlesticks are a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. That’s why you want to be on the same page as a majority of the people in that time frame. If other traders see the same formation on that same level, they’re going to pile in because they see that price is wanting to move that direction.

You want to see a nice, strong signal where others are going to say “Hey, that’s a nice strong signal”. That’s what you’re looking for.

In fact, I am also looking at EUR/USD, and it seems to me that this pair is actually on an important support level. I believe that this pair will continue it’s downtrend bias, and once it pierces the level of 1.28520, there is plenty reasons to go lower and sell the rallies above the level of 1.28520 (i.e. a pin bar).

Is that right?

As you can see, I am still trying to learn how to analyze like a real trader…

Thanks!

Wllen1

Here’s what I don’t like about EURUSD on the daily chart. The pair has been choppy for awhile and it hasn’t had a very significant, specific movement. Yeah, it does have a slight downtrend but the past few weeks it’s been fairly confined.

I’d be looking for a breakout to the downside that is clean and clear. The present candle doesn’t look good to me because it has that tail on the bottom. I’d want to see the price close near the bottom of the stick. Since it hasn’t really cleared the previous candles, I’d still view it as range bound. If I wanted to try and trade the range, I’d be more interested in coming in as close to the 1.3000 mark as possible until I see a clean break below.

To define a clean break, I’d want to see a close at 1.2825 or lower which would put the price outside of the past week’s price action.

I don’t particularly like this pair at the moment just because it’s been so congested compared to like… late Jan early Feb. That is nice, clear, tradeable movements.

Look at EURAUD. See how today’s bar closed well below the recent price movement? That’s what I’d want to see on EURUSD.

I see. So let’s say that EUR/AUD closes below this very significant support, does it mean that we will get in after a pullback?

In term of entering a pair, I usually get in after any kind of retracement, small or bigger than small (lol). Obviously, I don’t have any kind of idea how to fine tune my entries, and always get in while the pullback isn’t over yet, making me feel upsed…T_T. How do you usually find your entry in such a pair, where you can see a clear and clean direction?

Btw, so far I only trade with majors (USD/JPY, EUR/USD, USD/CAD, USD/CHF, AUD/USD and GBP/USD) due to it’s high liquidity. Are there any other pairs that maybe are not that big, but still tradeable for retail traders like you and me?

Thanks for answering so much questions, I am learning much more here than in any Forex courses lol!

Wllen1

In the case of the EURAUD; this is a typical Break Out set up. If you watch the price movement, it’s very likely that price is going to sharply descend in that direction. It is very common for this to happen once price pushes outside of a consolidation range. For more information on that, I would advise you look at Break Out strategies. I don’t particularly want to generalize it because it has it’s own specific mechanics.

As for seeing clean and clear indicators. Let’s take a look at the the EURUSD chart.

As you can see, I’ve circled four formations.

The first one is a large bearish engulfing bar. Note how leading up to it we have a series of gains, and then boom; a drop. This is an entry point because price clearly wants to head down when you compare the size of that candlestick with the previous and the fact that it closed near the bottom of the range. See how small the bottom wick is?

The second could be construed as a doji. Note the two bars before it are indicating a pull back, it has a nice tail wick on the upside and a narrow one on the bottom. It is a pullback and a rejection that is in favor of the downtrend. This is another tradeable signal.

The third is another bearish engulfing bar that comes after a period of consolidation. Note the slight pull back and two previous doji candles. Price was hesitating, trying to figure out where it was going to go. But since we’re in a downtrend, bias is going to be in that direction. This is later confirmed by that large bearish engulfing bar giving us another entry point.

Each one of those three signals is crystal clear and would have given 2:1 returns at least provided we were patient enough to wait for the market to give them to us. You have to let the market do what it’s going to do. Sometimes it takes time.

Now, let’s look at number 4. The fourth circle has a pull back and another engulfing bar that signals that price should continue down. But it does not. Why doesn’t it? Well; if we had seen that signal and looked at our economic calendar, we would see that United States Non-Farm Payrolls occurs near the beginning of every month. Even though we see a good set up here, we don’t trade it because the NFP is a really high volatility event. As we can see, if we had placed our stop behind the engulfing candle where it goes; we would’ve been stopped out. It’s never a good idea to have an open position in a dollar based pair when the NFP are looming.

Since we knew this event was coming, we’d stay out of the market and wait for a different opportunity.

That’s what I mean by clear and concise. You can look at any of those set ups and they are crystal clear. Those are the ones you want to trade. All this crap in the last couple of weeks is just muddled noise on the daily charts. Might have been able to find some opportunities on the 4h or smaller; but I don’t really focus on those so I can’t comment.

As a Price Action trader, the strategy is applicable on any pair. I just look to see where the clearest signals are. I check probably two dozen pairs for set ups.

And learning from other people is the best way to learn. It’s easy to get the mechanical knowledge on how things work. It’s another to see it applied.

Thanks mate! So each time that we see some candlesticks formations going opposite of the trend, we can probably say that this is a pullback, and that the trend should continue next time the candles starts. Of course, I tend to not trade huge news either, as it could run much against me.

BTW, I’m looking for other alternatives than dollar. What do you suggest like trade able pairs? Tradeable means that this pair has sufficient liquidity and decent margin so that at least my orders will be filled quickly!

Thanks!

Wllen1

You are correct. When it starts to pull back, that’s when you start monitoring it more closely for a potential entry signal.

As for tradeable pairs; your other major options are Japanese Yen and Euro pairs if you’re looking for “primary” type currencies.

And you’re welcome for the input and help!