Backtesting on FXCM Trading Station (Demo)

…does anyone know how to do this?

According to the promotional video, there should be a Strategy Options button next to the Charts one but I do not see it… If anyone uses FXCM Trading Station please let me know (maybe it is only available for live accounts)…

Thank you

PS - I have been e.mailing my contact at FXCM with some questions but they have been (unusually) slow - I even called and
left a message - so I thought I could see if anyone here could help.

PPS - If you know of other ways to backtest a strategy, please let me know - I have never done it.

hi PMH,

I use their instant chat feature or call their reg cust serv no. They are alwys willing to answer questions.

Thanks ricvaa; I was unaware of the ‘chat’ service - I will try that…

Out of interest to others, I went on the “Chat” tonight and somebody, very patiently, answered all of my points, including the one listed here…

It seems that the Web version of Trading Station does not have all the features as the Desktop one; as I did not know any different, I was trying to find these features (such as the strategy back-testing one) on my version, which is the Web one…

As it happens, I use a Chromebook, which is entirely web-based (and uses Linux OS), so I will have to kindly ask my girlfriend if I could borrow her laptop, which has a Windows OS…

We will see how it all goes…

Other things that you cannot do on a Web-based version of (FXCM) Trading Station:

1. view the actual PRICE next to your Fibonacci levels;
  2. right-click/point on chart candles to view Open/Close/High/Low data…

This may change in the future, but that is how it is at present.

Now you know!

Happy trading.

Hi PMH,

As Ricvaa mentioned, for assistance in real time from our 24-hour live support team, it’s best to use live chat or to call one of our international toll-free numbers.

Another alternative, if you’d like to use your Chromebook is to access Trading Station Desktop through a Virtual Private Server (VPS). That way Trading Station Desktop could run 24 hours a day on a virtual machine even when your Chromebook is turned off or disconnected from the internet.

Speaking of which, what do you think of your Chromebook so far? I was thinking of getting one. Do you experience any slowdown when viewing web content?

Thanks,
Jason

Dear Jason,
thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I understand about a VPS - a new concept to me - although I am on a standard BT Broadband contract, so I doubt I will investigating other options (at further expense). My girlfriend’s desktop’s battery charger has been playing up just this week, so when it is fixed I will just load the trading station and install it as a desktop item on there, and it will be easy enough. However, I should tell you that the Chromebook is absolutely fantastic and infuriating in equal measures: it has annoying limitations (like the file management system) around which you have to find ways to cope, but the Linux system is very light and nimble, allowing you to do everything on the go in zero time. With 100GB of free Google Drive space as part of purchasing the machine, you can type thousands of documents that you do not need to save - autosave kicks in the second that you stop typing - and find on the cloud. Forget desktop-based software: this is a light, low-cost, low-power machine, so anything like photo-editing (of a more data-hungry type, e.g. PhotoShop) cannot be dreamt of here!

I hope this helps!
F

The VPS is a server side application and does not run on any of your machines. You connect to it like you would to a website (not exactly but close enough for understanding). FXCM offers the service free with live accounts, I have one and use it when I travel as I don’t care for the web interface or the fxcm app for making trades. The apps are great for checking in or making quick closes, but for placing trades and such I use the desktop program or connect to my VPS and use it exactly like the desktop program.
One major benefit of the VPS is if you have automated strategies they will run non stop as long as you exit the VPS properly. No need to keep your computer on at home/office/wherever. I run both my demo account (running automated strategies right now) and my live account (nothing automated) from the VPS when I travel. I use a MS Surface to connect to the VPS.
(side note, I hate my Surface, slow and crappy compared to my Samsung Tab 3)

Thank you [B]mymopar[/B]!

I did not know about this…
I see what you are saying… and, obviously, this means that you
would not lose your chart patterns etc. if you logged in from a different computer, as long as you used the VPS…
Is that right?
It sounds very good… I will look into it but I will try the desktop version first, just to see.
Useful info for other users. Thank you!

Thanks for your feedback regarding the Chromebook :57:

As Mymopar mentioned, with FXCM you can get VPS access for free, if your account balance is greater than $5000.

Thank you, Jason!

Well, it looks like VPS will have to wait, while I pile up my dollars

:44::20:

Happy trading.