Lot Size

Hi Folks,
2 quick questions
What is the maximum lotsize that you guys have traded with on a live account?
What would the maximum lotsize you would trade with or think would be manageable if you had enough trading capital? I’m thinking of this last question aimed more at the day traders/scalpers who might need to close positions quicker than longer term. Hope this question makes sense, and is valid enough to get some response. :slight_smile:
Thanx

Well, I guess no BIG traders here to help me :frowning:

What is the likelihood of you actually trading big lot sizes?

20+ full sized lots ($2,000,000) get filled with ease.

That was kind of the ballpark of lotsizes that I was looking at. ±25
Was looking at the market depth and it seems 25 will get filled with ease, or at least within a babypip or 2 of your price.
Thanx.

The max lot I used to trade is 8.00 lot with 160$ spread GBP/USD. It was the most blazing losses I had in my trading experience - 700 usd for about 10 pips change. Thankfully I was smart enough to close the trade quickly to save my dep :slight_smile:

Hi pippex, what is the reason behind your question? Are you a wealthy trader and, if so, is this a question about the best broker for high-volume trades? Or is it a question aimed solely at high-risk traders who risk all on high leverage? As the last poster said, high leverage can quickly lead to huge losses as well as gains: it is a double-edged sword. I now only trade 1k lots, with a 2:1 leverage, because that is how I can keep my mental sanity and preserve my capital from extinction while trading…

Hi guys,
Thanx for the replies. This question is by no means for high risk traders on high leveraged accounts. I have also been down that path! Been at it for about 3 years now, lots of school fees paid :slight_smile: This is a hypothetical scenario.Lets say I can get 2% profit a day(lets not debate whether that is obtainable or not now). We all know the wonderful power of compound interest - in your favour of course! If I start with an amount that allows me to trade 0.2 lots, based on my own risk formula, by the end of the year I will have enough to trade 25 lots for example. All I want to know is , what would a reasonable ceiling be in terms of lot size, for a day trader/scalper? I have subsequently done a bit more research and have found what I think might be feasible…
Would really like to find out your opinions.
Thanx

Lot size differs as per the companies.

Depends on the setup and pair, Gold, up to 50, EJ, UJ, GJ, 10-20 and most others around 10.

Read this.

FXCM study on account size, effective leverage, and the link to profitability.

We should use small lot size if we are still starting trading in forex. I also just use small lot size for trading with my account.

@FOREXunlimited -
Interesting article.
Thanx!

small lot is safe for beginners they can trade for a long time with low lots their stop loss and take profit can be set at high pips because of low risk involving lot size. In start I use up to 0.03 lot in standard accounts it is not too small or big . i get valuable experience of trading with small lots.