I bagged 88.7 pips with tonight's RBNZ rate hike!

Hello traders!

Here is how I did it:

Buy:

NZD/USD: + 5.3 pips;
NZD/CAD: + 14.2 pips;
NZD/CHF: +13.1 pips;
NZD/JPY: +12.5 pips;

Sell:

EUR/NZD: +14.0;
GBP/NZD: + 12.7;
AUD/NZD: +16.9.

Why did I close the NZD/USD with only +5.3 profit? I lost its best momentum on breaking even, as I had opened it on 7th March and it had swung down to about -80 pips.

Governor Wheeler delivered what the market expected but the volatility was still present, so even with the 0.25 rate hike already priced in, there was enough to grab for us.

I hope you all had a fantastic event!

Looking forward to the AUD employment/unemployment data in three hours!

Happy trading.

And paid a total of what… something around 30 pips in spreads? What was your escape plan if you had been wrong?

You apparently let one run away 80 pips at one point. Gotta watch that risk;)

Not trying to be a naysayer, it’s good that you did well. I just want to know what the rest of the plan was, and how often you commit to things like this and it turns out the opposite. If you’re going to give us the good, you have to tell us about the bad too.

Hello MasterTang,

the thing is, I am still learning, so I am unable to say that everything I do has the fore-planning of

a professional chess player…

But I went into this event with a wide tolerance for risk, as my 1k lots allow for large stops… In other

words, I went in for a win/win: if the breakout was just that, and lost its momentum, I could bag those

pips (spreads or no spreads); if the event went the opposite way as planned, I could cut my losses with

very little consequence on some or all of the pairs, or let some of the losses (like in the 80 pip example

mentioned before) build up until the next currency turn… My CAD/JPY carry, for example, has been

up and down, building rollover for two months, but what happened as an error has actually made sense

as a long-term trade.

There you go… If it does not make sense, worry not, I have all intentions to listen and I do not expect

to know it all!

Happy trading.

Hi Piphappy,

That’s neat. Do you always trade the news? And do you open and close positions based on what the outcome of the news are? I’m just curious to know.

'Best
Z Pattern

Hello Kasravi! The week was a little dead in terms of market movement thus I traded the RBNZ event to catch some volatility …I do not specifically trade the news, generally. Just on a break at work, hence a short reply!

And today …I bagged 140 pips, about half of which during the FOMC rate decision release this evening. I am a very happy person!

Wow… That’s awesome! I get in late so about 2% again at the moment :slight_smile: 10% up so far this month…

About time for you to get back in there…

Thank you… That is excellent!

Can I ask: does your MyFxBook update regularly? Mine does not update and is stuck on my February figures!

PS did you get my (private) mail?

Do you log on in your desktop and or laptop regularly to watch/ place your trade? For some reason, when I use my phone or iPad to open up my MT4 doesnt update myfxbook so I have to go to my laptop and open up my MT4. I usually trade via my iPhone so it doesn’t automatically updated it ( I know it’s weird). Otherwise, you might need to check you MT 4 and see if it is link to myfxbook. Sometimes, you have to link it again manually from your desktop or laptop. Try that and see what happen…

I thought I responded to your message… Let me check it again… I’ll email you :slight_smile:

Dear PipNRoll,

you must be right… I often trade, like you, from my smartphone (Sony)… or my Chromebook, which is a non-desktop laptop…

I should probably try to open FXCM’s Trading Station (I do not use MetaTrader) from a laptop and then try MyFXBook…

E.mails… no, I did not get a reply since the last reply that I sent to you…

:frowning:

Okay, my bad… I’ve read and I didn’t reply lol. Sorry… Typing it right now like this moment… Like this very second LOL!
Silly me…

No problem, dear PipNRoll. I just bagged 22.6 pips on selling NZD/JPY on a weak New Zealand GDP at 9.45pm (twenty minutes ago), just in time for bed! I am off to dream of pips … I will wake up refreshed and ready to read your e.mail! Good night, honorary FX Woman, PipNRoll!

Oh stop bragging your pips lol… I am just kidding! Okay, take care…

Congrats on your great week! What preparations do you do before you trade an event and how much do you usually risk per trade? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello Huck, thank you! My main news trading approach used to involve setting up straddling buy/sell entry orders using ATR to determine stops and limits; now I trade the news by hedging a buy market order for a news-impacted pair with a sell market order for a related pair (e.g. for an RBNZ event, Buy NZD/USD and Sell NZD/JPY). I will then watch and manage the trades as the market reacts to the news. I have a 500GBP account, so I do not risk more than 1%, meaning that all my trades are 1k lots (about 2:1 leverage). I could tell you more but typing this on my 'phone is slow work!

Well, here we are, the evening of the RBNZ next rate decision… Will they hike it up to 3.00 ?
Has the market already priced this in? In which case, would there be a rally in NZD pairs but no follow through?

Here is a good, short video posted by David Song (Currency Analyst) at DailyFX.com, about the RBNZ rate decision
and possible scenarios for AUD/NZD, GBP/NZD, and NZD/USD:

Good luck tonight!

Happy trading.

Well, here we are, the evening of the RBNZ next rate decision… Will they hike it up to 3.00 ?
Has the market already priced this in? In which case, would there be a rally in NZD pairs but no follow through?

Here is a good, short video posted by David Song (Currency Analyst) at DailyFX.com, about the RBNZ rate decision
and possible scenarios for AUD/NZD, GBP/NZD, and NZD/USD:

Good luck tonight!

Happy trading.

Meh…

The event came and went, forty minutes ago: nothing much happened to either NZD/USD or NZD/JPY, or even EUR/NZD!

I was foretelling that the market had priced this in, and indeed the upgrade to 3.00 % by the RBNZ was accompanied by

comments by Gov. Wheeler regarding the unsustainable exchange rate (of NZD/USD, presumably) and its impact on

inflation; he also commented on future rate hikes, saying that these will be dependent on data.

NZD/USD has moved up about fifty pips; on the previous rate hike, on the 12th March, this currency moved less than

ninety pips the entire day… Also, between the high value of that day, and the low value of today, there were less than fifty

pips…

Has the NZD run out of steam?

Discuss!