Where was your stop!

Done with this post , your all forex masters

Doesn’t this example negate your claim that one of the only “ways to consistently pull pips from the market” is scalping?

I don’t agree with that, but just wanted to clarify I’m reading your post correctly.

No not at all. Scalping is not short-term trading, scalping is trading with the current volatility supported by order flow. Usually done on a one minute chart or tick charts like I use… By short-term trading I’m referring to intraday trading off a five, 15 minute or longer time frames.

I hope my definitions help to clarify.

How is scalping not short-term trading?
Scalping is technically the shortest term you can get.

The term scalp means to quickly book a few points by making many trades getting in and out of the market [B]quickly[/B].
Trading a minute or tick chart, is scalping.

I don’t understand why you’re assuming other peoples theoretical entry price for these two trades? I agree that for me personally position trading has been the best method. I’ve never scalped. But that being said I’m sure there are plenty of short term traders that are profitable.

Generally swing trading is made on large timeframe.
And scalping is short term trading since it means taking small profits as soon as available.
I am sure order flow can be done on different timeframes.

I was not wondering what happened. Check the forex calendar, the spike was a US economic report, the release of the monthly retail sales data. Pretty much everyday at the same hour there is an USD fundamental coming up. 1h30 after that time there is often more. The EURUSD larger timeframe downtrend has been stopped by a large resistance around 1.333. The economic report giving bad news for the USD the price of the pair went up a bit, which can be expected. The other US data coming for the day was in the bounds of what was expected, and the pair went back to where it was previously. The point is EURUSD is ranging right now, the smart money is building its orders from the news event volatility but the pair won’t start a clear trend until they are ready.

SL 10 pips or 100 pips. If you only risk 2% then its just another losing trade and you move on. And I think we need to rethink or definition of scalping. Unless your making a couple of hundred trades a day with less than a min holding time your not scalping. Hey Allen, how you go on last night core retail data. Made lovely 50 pips, 5 pip SL, 2% risk. Rest of you do the maths. No need to trade next week now. Laughin!

Well until we have a forex dictionary I suppose it’s gonna be hard to define scalping. It’s a subjective definition by every trader. Are you going to not trade next week because you had a good trade this week? I don’t get it…

I’ll trade in my play account, I have an addiction, but its an easy way to lose money. Why risk those gains. This is my super afterall. My next “real trade” will be on friday at 8.29 and 50 sec (give or take a few seconds) EST US when PPI data is released. Won’t care what the data is, only PA on my chart - I’ll drop down to a 55 tick chart for that. Maybe I’ll get it right like last night. History shows I have a 50/50 chance. If I get it wrong I’ll lose my 2%. Don’t believe what the marketers tell you. You don’t have to trade ever pair. You don’t have to trade everyday. Just think outside the box and go for it.

Well I place about 1 or 2 trades a month these days lol. But they can last months. Do you just trade the news? I’ve just never understood the mindset of “I made a good profit so I’ll stop”. Not saying that’s what you actually do it just sounded like it. I can be 400 pips in profit on one trade and I’ll still place a second if I think it looks good. Because like you said. It’s sort of an addiction.

Scalping [B]IS[/B] a short term trading…

Scalping: The Free Forex Encyclopedia

At this point in time yes. I’m a big fan of “the turtles”. They where happy to break even most of the time cause they knew it only takes one or two trades a years to make a profit. I find the same thing with news trading. I’m happy to break even most the time because it only takes one good trade like last night to return a profit. And i can usually get one of those a month. We sound like we trade at the opposite ends of the spectum. I can’t trade like yourself or ForexUnlimited. I failed miserably. Yet the two technics I dilibrately stayed away from ( PA and news) because I believed where to hard to complex to master now form the foundation of my system. Yesterday as Allen pointed out I had a short trade on in my play account and it got stopped out. So I am in bedazzled how you guys do it. I just can’t. But that’s ok. We each have our own groove. Being true to yourself I found is the secret.

The point of my post was not to create definitions. It was merely to show the fact, and it is a fact that short-term traders have the hardest time trying to extract consistent money from the markets. Scalping, and I don’t care what anyone else’s definition is as few retail traders are as profitable as I am. Is not short-term trading, the methods used are far different. I was trying to make is if you want to be profitable. You have to learn how to identify and trade the volatility of the market. Making comments or trading with the idea that if I get stopped out. I’m just losing a one or 2%, because I’m following good money management is one of those incorrect fallacies that is taught to new traders. As far as the turtle traders there a prime example. Trading, that method your subject to lose up to 60% drawdown at any given time. I don’t know about you but I have no plan on losing 60% of my money. So for those that missed the point say it again. Learn how to trade with the volatility the market or it will eventually wipe out your account.

I think it is very important to have a better understanding the definition of what Scalping means and that it is a short term trading. So when someone tried to explain it and who ever is reading it not getting confused. There is a reason why we have forex terms and definitions so everyone can follow…just a thought…

I don’t agree with some of what you’ve explain but I just keep it to myself :slight_smile:

Can I add trade with the volatility if you are scalping. Trade support/resistance if you’re a position trader? Because that’s how I trade. I study TRUE price action aka supply/demand. A news announcement generally has nothing to do with my trade,and won’t effect it, macro economics and fundamentals will. And I do apologize for getting somewhat off topic. But like I said earlier I just didn’t see why you thought the entries you specified where valid to judge longer term trade styles. I missed my sell signal (mini vacation)on eur/usd back at 1.3590 with about (I use an ATR to determine stop size) a 100 pip SL. But I do consider myself a position trader. So we agree on two trading styles that work. Got it. But how can we deem intra day trading unprofitable as it’s judged by 1 scalper and 1 position trader? We’re biased. Probably more profitable than them but biased none the less…

Don’t use volitility to justify technic. You sound just like a marketer. Volitility is a double edge sword. It can turn a winning trade into a losing trade just as easily as a losing trade into a winner. Understand this and your on your way. Scalping, swing, position, short or long term. Volitility is going to burn all of us. How an individual deals with this is up to them. Now as for turtles, we all know that their strategy doesn’t work in the markets anymore. Doesnt mean their philosophy can’t be applied. We call it letting the trade run. News events are a perfect example on how we can apply that. But would I let a trade run during the asian session. Hell no because I know that when Moscow open volitility is going to come into play. Know your enemy know how tl defeat them. Question are you a retail trader or just a speculator just like the rest of us? Yes lets use the correct terminology and not manlipulate terms like marketers.

I think you’d be ignoring that those of us profiting from the intra-day charts take notice of upcoming major news announcements and prepare accordingly? This is a bit of a nothing statement/forum post to be honest.

LOL, I was going to say the same thing. If there’s a big news announcement coming up that can take out your stop, stay out. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s wrong with not risking more than 2%?
How is your MM better?

I think it’s tough to put a pin in any fixed amount an individual trader should risk.
It really boils down to their own style, and specific appetite and long-term goals.

If you want to put 20% of your equity up on a single trade, by all means go ahead (I wouldn’t advocate this though).
No one is going to stop you, and, if you’re accurate enough over time you can rake in some serious returns.