The fate of GBPUSD. Please Help a worried soul

Strictly speaking, that may not be a factor, as rates have been revised by the BoE in the last fifteen years leading up to 2009 irrespective of when general elections had been held, sometimes with the BoE applying change right before or after an election… The fact that rates have not moved past 0.5 since 2009, and that the last general election (2010) had no impact in this respect, make me wary both of thinking that there may NOT be change before the next general election (given past examples), as much as that there will be (given that there has been no change for FIVE years already)…

The jury is out…

Looks like no near turning back for Cable. Bears in full control. Waiting for another short trade.

Hi Kashif, I saw your thread on Eur/Usd parity and I thought I should ask you again: what did you learn from your GBP/USD trouble a few months ago? How are you doing now, in your trading?

Hello traders!

Interesting to resurrect this thread for anyone trading (or thinking about trading) Pound pairs, especially the Cable…

It just goes to show how automated systems still get it wrong, and how human management is the final word -

it has to be - when systems misread the situation.

Cheers.

The bearish trend is still in place for the GBPUSD, but so far the 1.4500 level is holding. A breakdown below the 1.4500 could take the pair to the 1.4400 level. For now, the 1.4600 could continue acting as resistance.

The pair is headed to 1.4250, I think, possibly even lower. The bearish trend is very strong and I doubt it will end soon.

Hello peeps!

I thought I should ‘resurrect’ this thread as a ‘cautionary tale’ for newbies :slight_smile:

Also, I am keeping an eye on those 10-Year Gilts and indeed they are starting to ‘bend’ at the top,

within an historic supply zone… This is no guarantee for anything, but, as explained before, the inverse

correlation that they have to the Pound/Dollar (Cable) is so strong that you can see where a continuation

of this turn could go for the Pound (i.e. Gilts down, and Pound up):

However, market conditions (including: Scottish elections in May; ‘Brexit’ referendum in June; FOMC ‘live’ rate

decision in April) all dictate that such historic turns may struggle to find motivation, so one may not be as lucky

as going long the Pound here, and hitting a home run :slight_smile:

The 55 day EMA is so far holding down the GBP/USD, but the pair needs to break below the 1.4200 in order to continue to the downside.

It seems to me that the pound will continue to test the level of 1.42, then I prefer fall down.

1.4900 me thinks.

Hello Emerald!

You reckon it can muster enough momentum to get to 1.49?

What is your secret :slight_smile:

I have no secret, it comes with trading Cable for years, that asset class has made and lost me a few grand, so it is baby. I know when it wants to fly. In truth it may fall short with all the event risk hanging about, it may just go straight down. However, shorts from last year are likely to start to cover ahead, hence the excessive 3 month volatility. To date the 3 month volatility is higher than the 12 month, typical when people start unloading. If the unloading stops, then we go straight down, I would never have bought it anyway, the opportunity for me is at lower prices.

Cool analysis, it rings all my bells and whistles (fundamentals, that is) :slight_smile:

I keep thinking ‘Brexit’ has been confined to the back of speculators’ minds, but who knows for sure…

Do you reckon it has?

I think most speculators know that the UK populace have a habit of talking tough before the big moment. In the end I think no cigar, a last minute deal gets worked out. The Germans like to take things to the wire.

In truth I think if shorts are covering they are concerned that there is no dice ahead or at least the risk is too high to stay short. If the profit taking becomes really aggressive I suspect that we stay in the EU. In the end it is just a referendum and I can’t see Cameron wanting to be the man who destroyed the EU. So this will drag into the next parliament as no doubt the lawyers will show up to state the legal case.

So either way I think this is a distraction from the real facts, that the FED has a higher yielding currency and the UK is looking dangerously close to experiencing stagnation with the lack of inflation. The Governors letter to the chancellor clearly stated that they don’t expect inflation to recover till 2017. Oil has started a recovery at this point but I suspect we will see $35 again enough to chuck Sterling over the edge alongside the FTSE.

I know it is a lot to hope for but there are just too many head winds to see a Sterling recovering anytime soon.

The GBPUSD keeps making lower highs on the daily chart and if the next low is lower than the previous, then the pair may continue with a bearish trend.

Great post, Emerald!!!

Thank you!

The GBPUSD stays weak, but holding on to the current levels for today. Still, the pair may go to the 1.4000 level.

The pair found some resistance at 1.4090 and consolidation continued. Next target is likely around 1.4300.

I agree, consolidation movement continues on a wider perspective, Brexit uncertainty is still the main factor.

Non-commercial speculators have gone deeper short on the Pound earlier this week, according to the Commitment of Traders report: