When money is no object

I have a question and I’ll try to make it easy to understand.

Most of us approaching forex do it because we have a need/hunger for money, financial independence and big dreams etc.
I was without doubt one of many but something came to my mind here the other day.

The financial independence isn’t what motivates me to trade anymore. I’ve been more obsessed about the market, what it does, why it does and master the basics to my fingertips rather than focusing on making money at the time. - At some point I think I realized that if I focus more on technique and skills rather than hunger for money… the money would automaticly come by it self.
I think I enjoy trading more for the pleasure than for the possibility of becoming financial independent one day…

What I discovered is that whatever day my motivation for trading forex changed, my trading improved significantly…

Now…the question:
How many of you have approached fx at the very first with a desire of making tons of money and later found it easier to improve your trading when money no longer was the greatest motivation to trade?

What motivated you to start trading, and did any of you experience that the motivation changed along the way and improved your trading…

Just wonder… :slight_smile:

I agree that if money is the driving force you are likely to fail as a trader. I think the less you focus on making money and rather direct it to learning the basics, taking it step by step, trying to learn from your mistakes as you are working on your strategy the faster you achieve success and the money will follow the hard work you put into it.

Completely same paradox happened to me about 4 years ago.
You trade to make money, but when you trade you don’t care about money.:20:
My trading improved dramatically after it happened!

The profit is now like some kind of “side-effect” from something I enjoy doing :slight_smile:

This is so rich.
I think every newbie should honestly and truly take inventory of themselves about their motivation for entering the market.
Sure, we all want to independent, financially. But, for those who are in it for good, usually find themselves enjoying the success from all the hard work you have put in it. Moreso than just collecting more money, and on your way to becoming rich.
It is very satisfying. It is such an accomplishment.
I don’t think there’s anything more satisfying, than to become successful at something you love.
And for me, it’s this business. My business. And the smarter I get, the more of a reward I will get.
And I won’t rest till I get as good as I can possibly get.
It’s for satisfaction.
More than money.

Mike

I agree with the sentiment in this thread. Trading is like solving a puzzle, with a nice financial reward in the end.

This is why I actually think most traders would benefit from diving right in and trading with real money like mad. The losses will either drive them out for good (and thus they learned they should have never started in the first place) or they will teach them valuable lessons as they develop a realistic frame of mind and a passion for the process.

I personally started trading with an understanding that a love of trading was essential, but I certainly had a much less informed mindset and not much of a process to be passionate about. Those can only come with experience. My heavy reading and study did not provide that experience, they only gave me a frame of mind that allowed me to get those experiences and survive them long enough to stay trading.

-Adrian

Gambling is also not about money.
Psychological satisfaction, peace of mind:64: