What do you do with idle time?

Trading the longer-term timeframes (4H, daily, weekly etc) is a boring affair. Once you punch in your orders, you wait… and wait… and wait…

What do you do to keep your trading skills sharp during the time you wait? Interested in some thoughts. :slight_smile:

Nice thread, Kevin…

Answers…

1. I spend time with my partner, as she is more important than trading, at the end of the day;

2. I keep up my first language for my translating work and for communicating with friends/family abroad;

3. I run a private music business, and spend time looking after it;

4. I practise my instruments (violin + piano) for my live music and teaching;

5. I read articles or watch programmes on the tv replay;

6. clean the house, cook, tidy up;

7. e.mail friends and family, or call them;

8. go out to hear bands or orchestras, meet friends, have food, see films, etc.

HOWEVER

when I am not trading I actually cannot stop for a moment about trading… so I also do this:

1. watch the charts;

2. watch the aftermath of a big news event (FOMC, NFP, ECB presser, etc.);

3. watch videos of currency analysis and strategy (DailyFX);

4. attend webinars on DailyFX;

5. listen to PowerTrading Radio;

6. read articles on DailyFX;

7. read and write threads on BabyPips;

8. read financial news on other media, e.g. Financial Times.

So you could say that I never actually ‘stop’ trading… It is almost an addiction…

What about you, Kevin?

200 = The approximate maximum number of trades I will close in 2015.
31 = The total number of trades I have closed in 2015.
7 = The total number of trades I closed in February.
6 = The total number of trades I have closed in March.
14 = The total number of trades I have open.
1 = The total number of times per week I update 9 of those positions if necessary.
1 = The total number of times per day I update the other 5 if necessary and usually it is not necessary.

Girlfriend, kids, friends and family, books, pints, accounting, dumb shix on the internet, higher mindstates, life. Music is a big part of my life too. Skateboards and motorcycles offer great windows into the world. Life is in the living.

Seykota, Richard Dennis, many others said that a profitable system can be handed to someone but they will struggle to follow it. I often make new discoveries in my reading and listening to interviews and discussions that further validate the trend following approach I am employing. That certainly makes following the strategy easier. “Love your system and your losses.”

-Adrian

I love Neils Kaastrup Larsen’s show.
Covel Too.

In idle time I take rest for my mind after cool mind my first step is to evaluate my trading performance . I see last week results , my mistakes and plan for a good future trading . I try to find new way of profitable trading too in free times.

In my idle time i like to watch movies

That is good to entertain oneself with favorite things as watching movies, going to parks or spend time wit these activities refresh you for next plan. After a rest and fresh mind one can think more logically about the business he is doing.