Market Movers stop hunting

I keep hearing people talk about the market movers rigging the game. It all sounds like a conspiracy theory to me, but maybe someone worked for one of these companies before.

Do the big market movers really try to move price just to hit retail traders stop losses? It seems to me they shouldn’t really be concerned with our levels because of how small we are relatively.

Hopefully someone has some real insight into the inner workings of these bigger companies to share some information.

I find it hard to believe. If you think about it, there is probably a stop placed on every single pip out there. My stop is on 1.50100, yours on 1. 50101, next trader is on 1.50102 etc, so why would anyone need to stop hunt individual trades?

Excuses for losing, that’s what I think. Feel free to shoot me down in flames

It’s not a conspiracy, nor is it a ‘out to get stops’ game - it’s just a case of where the orders are.

There really is no such thing as retail levels, so you are right in that the market has no interest in our levels, but those that try to match the buy and sell orders need to do what they are paid to do.

You can witness this on news release, if a reasonable analysis suggests that the news will be positive for price you may see price reach down to a previous low (usually called support) before rising in agreement with the news.

Sometimes price can dip down below the actual support number and ‘sweep’ stops, what has happened is that all the buy/sell orders got matched, price went on down looking for more sells, none, then there are only buy orders with no sells (sells probably pulled on the news) - and so up goes price.

So the retail buys happen to have their sell (stop loss) orders just below this ‘support’ and retail breakout traders have their new sell orders just below this same support - after all this is exactly what we are all told is how to play the game.

There are a number of market makers who may have a certain control over your orders if you bet with them, but that is a whole different story.

Have to completely agree with ED.Also what he said about stops every single pip kinda blows my mine, I never really thought about it that way.

Also all my years trading stocks and im talking back to the late 80 s, I never once heard that the MM on the NYSE r hunting sell orders or any other kind of thing. Only thing I kn ow for fact that happens is in futures market is front running which is A different animal all together.:21: