Your home currency

I think most people (traders or not) have a good feeling about the value of their home currency. In my opinion this can be more valuable than any technical analysis or anything else. If you feel that your home currency is particularly high (historically) then why not switch your base forex acc base currency into USD. This could end up being the best trade you ever made. In my case I am British and living in HK. This may well be the time for me to switch my base currency to GBP and see how things look 2-3 years down the road.

Mine is determined by my broker. I deposit sterling and they convert it to dollars. Reverse with withdrawals

Ah I see edd. With my broker I can change my home currency (That is the currency that my acc is based in) at any time, and I can also also switch any currencies I hold in my acc through trades ( they are not automatically converted if you know what I mean) into my base currency at the same rates we trade at in forex.

Ah.

That sort of “home currency”.

Yes, indeed.

Mine is Sterling, now. The original currency of my original home doesn’t exist any more (and wasn’t one for trading, anyway). It was a better currency than the poxy Euro, which is what they use there, now. I wouldn’t think so many people have a particularly “good feeling” about that one? :5:

Good point, I have often thought about that.

Actually, my home currency is Euro (which I am far more fond of than Lexys! - I am sure we would have had at least a 20% devaluation of our original home currency by now, but the Euro has “protected” us against that possibility - albeit at the expense of falling industrial competitiveness, increased unemployment, worsening exports, etc), but my acc is in USD. (In fact it has often been a humbling experience to see my acc balance passively increasing its equiv value in Euros by more than my actual trade results for the same moves! :smiley: :D)

Maybe I am wrong, but the reason why I keep my account in USD is because then the pip size is constant ( I only trade EURUSD). If I were to swap my acc balance into EUR would not the pip value then change according to the prevailing EURUSD rate? This would create a problem for me in maintaining my trading results in my trade journal.

As I only ever keep a sufficient minimal balance in my trading account the impact of rate changes on my balance is not so very significant - but even so it is worth considering if all other factors remain ok.

Hi Lex

back in the day…I left the UK to go backpacking for a year…(never returned) When I departed the UK I changed what sterling I had into USD at around 1.9 . I think your feeling about your home currency is a great thing to have in fx !

I’m a noob trader to be honest but I’ve signed up with a pro broker and although the platform I’m using is way more complex than the ones I was using in demo accs I feel that I am learning from it.

Hmmm, just think: if you made a comment like that in a place where some specific groups of people hang out (forex traders, say, just as an arbitrary example), they’d be able to suggest from the figure possible dates for that to have happened. (My own hunch is that you left the UK around the time that I arrived here and that by inference from the likely age for people to go off backpacking, you might be around two years older than me, but that’s only guessing).

Damn. I didn’t intend to give away such sensitive personal information :slight_smile:

I’d offer you the numbers from when I came here but I can’t find anywhere a Groats/Dollar chart :frowning:

I’ve been busy applying a 3 ducks template into so many different pairs. Next step is to figure out how to best deal with the signals that this throws out to me.

Don’t forget to save the template, mines saved as 3 ducks (surprise! )

…In the UK I have traded in Pounds,

but now that the Pound is so downtrodden

and the Euro refuses to buckle under the

blatantly obvious (and has been for far too

long) I really am running out of patience…

But I know this whole mess will have to

correct itself…we need clear correlations

and at present we have divergence between

Euro and Pound, Pound and FTSE100, etc.

It is a bloody chaos in fundamental terms,

and everyone needs to

CALM THE BLOODY HELL DOWNNNNN!!!