Swing v. Day Traders

Hey guys, so what are your opinions on Swing traders and Day traders? Who has the bigger advantage (in terms of return)?

Like many things in life, it ain’t what you do its the way that you do it.

Don’t pick a style because other traders say its the best way, pick the one that suits you best as an individual.

I mainly swing trade but I mix in some day trading as well. Some people dont have the time to day trade, others prefer to be active.

Different strokes for different folks

“Swing traders” aren’t really a counterpart to “daytraders”. There’s such a thing as “intraday swing-trading”.

The distinction between the two doesn’t intrinsically relate to time-frames: if you take a look at something like Alan Farley’s standard textbook on swing trading ("[I]The Master Swing Trader[/I]"), he actually clears up this widespread misperception in the first couple of pages. (Other established authors also do something similar.) Contrasting “swing trading” with “daytrading” is a kind of “category error”, really.

I suspect you’re really asking about whether trading over minutes/hours has the bigger advantage in terms of returns?

My own opinion is that intraday trading has a far bigger advantage, simply because of its huge potential regarding frequency of trading, but that [I]if you take “watching/trading time” into account[/I], longer time-frame trades, over days/weeks, have a greater advantage.

Which will be more profitable for any specific individual therefore depends on their availability to trade, and what their time’s worth. In my opinion.

And welcome to the forum.

Great post, Dr. LexyPip!!