WAR in Turkey

… well not yet exactly but it looks very much like the start of a huge crisis and possible civil war in Turkey.

You heard it here first.

Military putch over night friday 15th. July.

Prime minister got arrested by military leaders.

Airplanes and tanks in Ankara Istanbul and other major cities.

Erdogan (arrested prime minister) manages to smuggle out a massage to the people of turkey where he demands of the people to go on the street and “fight the turkish military”.

why is this important to traders?

Turkey is a global military player
one of the G20 members
a key player in the muslim part of this planet
a player who oposed some “control” over crisis countries
very close to europe
a NATO member

basicly said: a crisis in turkey will create fear and fear will hit the markets.

to everyone who is short on gold this weekend: im sorry for the losses you will encounter in exactly 46 hours and 7 minutes.

Turkey was meant to join the EU…

What a mess

At least the coup failed, it’ll be interesting to hear more on this.

Lira is bullish, on short term weakness it will crash but whether the coup had succeeded or not the Lira will rebound big time

hi, here it is the price, is it all over? :54:

Erdogan’s the Turkish president, not the prime-minister, I’m posting just to clarify that. And they never arrested him, he was on a plane when the coup began, he couldn’t land in Turkey.
It’d be interesting to see where the Turkish Lira will be when the market opens later today.

UsdTry is at historic highs, so it is questionable whether this is a good buying opportunity…

We do not know where price will be at the trading open tonight/tomorrow morning, but I do not see how anyone would want to trade off an unknown quantity like this…

definately agree. big mess

i highly doubt any joining of turkey to the EU. first of all a lot of EU members were always against it (austria germany france UK etc pretty much all EU memberS) and now with the instability of the country which is shown throuhh this military putch attempt, the next step from EU will be that the status of candidate is beeing taken away.

this military putch is just a great excuse for EU to close the doors for turkey forever. anyways turkey was only considered as candidate because USA (NATO partner) pushed for it very strongly over several years. a privileged partnership with turkey was what the EU always offered and wanted and never anything more then that. as far as i renember the last 10 years.

Turkey is never getting into the EU so long as Erdogan is around. And he plans to be around for a long time. When you see democratically elected presidents building huge presidential palaces for themselves that’s a not so subtle hint where they plan to take things.

Exactly so.

He said openly that he regards democracy as a tram: you take it to where you want to go, and then you don’t need it any more. That’s “anti-democratic” [I]even by EU standards[/I].

wow. strong words for someone living in a country where people get granted life-long-unremovable “above average people” rights, ritches and privileges solely by birth (if theyre lucky enough to get born as a Lords son/daughter or better: royal family. even cousins in 12th grade never need to work or lift anything heavier then their spoons)

perhaps, this link helps you to remember.

btw first democracy on this world wasnt UK or US. in fact they were number 12 and 28. even of modern history; france started democracy long before the UK did. even germany and italy did so, netherlands belgium denmark. the list goes on.

:wink:

Instead of USDTRY rallying, it has gapped down:

I’m not really clear why the country where I currently live is altogether relevant to my perspective that the EU can behave undemocratically? It seems, after all, to be a perspective increasingly widely shared throughout Europe.

Which country do you think will be the next to leave the EU, Turbo? :15:

markets have become unlogic. or we dont understand the logic anymore.

Completely.

its not about your personal opinion. its about the choise of words. “even” is a word choosen by someone who talks from a higher perspective. do you see yourself or the UK in a higher position/perspective? or the UK democracy or your opinion/picture of democracy as higher then the democracy in the EU?

using power formulated sentences like “even for eu standards” is implifing that EU democracy standards are low. on what prove or fsct do you base that opinion? i gave you some popular facts why i dont think the EU democracy is lower than any other democracy on this world. actually no i did not give you facts of EU democracy, i gave you facts of the democracy you are most familiar with. the democracy in the country you are living in and therefore base your views of democracies on what you experienced in your life.

second part: none will leave. -not even the UK will leave.

I think the UK is more democratic than the EU; yes. (So did most of the “Remain” campaigners, and all the “Leave” campaigners, in the recent referendum debates.)

I don’t share your perception that that speaks of a “higher” position, though.

The things that spring most immediately to mind are: the way they prevent some countries from setting their own tax rates (our government wanted to reduce the VAT sales tax on solar panels to encourage people to buy them, which is obviously a sensible policy, but the European Court of Justice ruled against their doing that, which they proclaimed illegal under European law); the fact that the [U]originators[/U] of [U]all[/U] EU legislation are themselves unelected officials (the Commissioners, all appointed); the way they recently treated a democratically elected Greek government; and so on.

I don’t pretend that it’s a “proof” - it’s simply my opinion that the EU can behave undemocratically.

I respect completely your right to disagree with me about it, of course - while also offering you the observation that people all across Europe seem increasingly to agree with it. And that troubles me, because all over Europe people are also increasingly voting for anti-EU parties of the far left and far right. And I regret that very much. It alarms me. I understand [I]why[/I] more and more people do it, but it still alarms me.

You may be right about that, of course … but opinion polls in many countries seem to suggest otherwise, don’t they?

There you’re clearly mistaken, I’m afraid. No British government is going to disrespect a referendum result like this. They respect democracy too much to be willing to do that. And all our political parties say so, openly (including those who campaigned on the “Remain” side).

sorry im forced to tipe with my phone so i cant go quote by quote like you did.

so the UK wants something the other 27 member states dont want. and the UK does not get what the majority doesnt want and in the eyes of UK democracy this is “undemocratic”?

the point of having a single big market is to work together and not against each other. so UK working against 27 other states who are trying to reduce the influence of chinese photo voltaic industry (which flooded the market with extra cheap prices years ago) in the european union (one big market against anotger big market) and UK working against that is called democarcy?

economic decitions dont always corelate with politics. and politics dont always corelate with democracy. and one country doing a single run against 27 others who share a single tax free and border free market is not economical.

EU threatening greeks government which is behavibg extrenely unprofessional in the way it must ve threated. you can not run on debts forever and then get help by 18 other countries who pull their tax payers to pay for your luxury life which you couldnt afford and then exoect to be threatened like kings on a horse. thats logic, not democracy. other then that the problem with a greek unprofessional government was thatvthe markets soak up every stupid sentence from someone who is elected but usually does not know how markets function. considering that greece is less then 3% of the EURO it is obnly natural to kalm down the markets and close diwn the spring of uncertainty by silence.

it is what is NEEDED at that moment in order to keep thibgs stable. whats needed is needed thats what my grandpa teached me.

about brexit: history will prove me right. whats needed is needed, emotion dont play any role when thibgs are needed. so does not any opinion of voters if money is at stake.

the only ruler in this world is money. democracY is the clown/marionette thats playing the music for the masses. (my words. sorry they sound stupid)

every country can behave undemocratic. we can debate 1000 examples from EU. USA or UK. this is how “money” functions.

and i agree. the greece crusis could have been solved much more sophisticated. but nobidy is perfect and hibdsight us easier then actions which are needed at the same time the action is happening.

Their opinion polls, and their enormously increased vote-shares in their own elections for anti-EU parties both of the far left and of the far right say, to me, that increasingly they [U]do[/U] want it.

And that alarms me. I’d prefer the EU to change, to become more democratic and more accountable, rather than eventually to fall apart as I now fear.

Sorry - you lost me, here, Turbo: I don’t understand that part. :8:

Indeed: I think a very widespread perspective is that people liked the EU much more when it was primarily a “single big market” rather than more recently when it is (and says openly that it intends to become) a “project of ever-increasing closer political and fiscal union”.

The widespread perception here was one of frustration that our democratically elected government wanted a policy here which people approved of, to do with our own, internal tax-rates, and the EU court (“ECJ”) simply wouldn’t allow it. I think you can probably see that that’s inevitably going to frustrate and annoy many people (whether you agree with those people or not)? I certainly can. And that seems to me, unarguably, irrefutably, to be undemocratic.

Not to mention the other two examples I mentioned above. :wink:

It’s hard to make predictions — especially about the future.

Yogi Berra