Take a Break

ā€¦

ā€¦ apart from a very significant proportion of the professional traders on the trading-floor of a few hundred financial institutions worldwide, and an admittedly much lower proportion of successful, independent traders, you mean?

Yes; there are some of those, too, I grant you.

(I know youā€™re asking Manxx and not me, but ā€¦) I havenā€™t traded commodities enough to know from my own personal experience (oil is the only commodity I ever trade, and Iā€™m in and out of CL futures in 10 minutes, usually), but I [U]suspect[/U] that overall, during their RTH, currencies [I]may well[/I] actually be slightly less risky, for retail traders; yes.

ā€¦ ā€¦

I [I]can[/I], Turbo. Thatā€™s my point: I [I]could[/I] show you a few (granted, theyā€™re all ex-institutional traders now trading their own accounts independently but that doesnā€™t detract from my point which is simply that [U]there are some[/U], so youā€™re actually exaggerating!). :wink:

ā€¦

ā€¦

ā€¦

Yes. Iā€™m actually talking [I][U]only[/U][/I] about intraday traders (I know very few others - thatā€™s just a ā€œselection-bias statisticā€ because of my own background - Iā€™m not for a moment suggesting that itā€™s representative of anything else, of course).

Indeed - for sure.

I wouldnā€™t know ā€¦ but what you say seems likely to me; Iā€™m certainly not disputing it.

I suspect thatā€™s largely because stock-trading is a hobby for a large number of people who wouldnā€™t really consider themselves ā€œtradersā€ at all, and some of them will doubtless be quite successful with it.

Of course it is (apart from fees/commissions, obviously). I have often pointed this out, myself, in forum posts. How could it [I]not[/I] be?

Of course - Iā€™ve never said (or thought) anything different.

Obviously.

ā€¦

If you had a 1000000 account you could trade spot forex with zero commissions by opening an account with privileges, which could mean a 10-pip move in EUR/USD, for example, would give you 1000 USD with zero leverage at 10 standard lotsā€¦

So you could earn $1000 every time you had an overall +10 pips P/Lā€¦

So then it would not matter if you traded currencies, commodities, etcā€¦ as long as the thing had a pulse :slight_smile:

Yes - I donā€™t disagree with you about this, at all.

I think itā€™s not altogether comparing like with like, simply because the aspiring forex-traders youā€™re talking about, in a place like this, include a large number of people who harbour ambitions of making a living from it (which I agree for a very high percentage of them will turn out to be totally unrealistic, and I even agree that it may be 99%), whereas with stocks typically itā€™s more ā€œinvestingā€ than ā€œtradingā€, and typically more a ā€œhobbyā€ than a ā€œpotential careerā€.

Iā€™m a bit like you, Manxx.
I donā€™t trade to get wealthy, not even to subsidise my income. FX was suggested to me by my wife, I was looking for a new hobby/project/interest and she thought I might enjoy it, and she was right.
If I make some money out of it, great. If I lose money, no worries, most hobbies cost something.
What I will say, perhaps because making money isnā€™t a big driver for me, is that I donā€™t feel any stress or pressure when I have a losing streak, nor do i get overexcited when im on a roll-its nice, obviously, but its not the be all and end all. Whatā€™s far more important for me is to see progress over time as this, imho, shows me that I understand what im doing and can adapt as circumstances change.

ā€¦

Absolutely.

In the end, all these conversations we have are academic, in a way: we can just assume

that people like speed_bump, who is ā€˜in the knowā€™, will look on and leave with a wry smile.

That does not help people who put in the time and sweat (and capital) in currencies only to see it vanish,

compared to those who do the same buying-and-holding stocks and seeing their money slowly appreciating.

Spot FX is one of the hardest things to master.

There must be something like this in the life of very successful traders but traders like us that are struggling in the markets donā€™t like to take any break from trading.

Haha calm down!

Good post Manxx.

In my opinion there are too many standard answers flying around on topics to which there are no ā€˜one size fits allā€™ solutions. Most of these standard answers are based on assumptions, where these assumptions come fromā€¦who knows?

Based on your own individual circumstances, experiences both inside and outside of trading, tolerances and life philosophies etc etc you enter the planning stage.

I never assume that others are seeing what i am seeing or that i am seeing what they are seeing for that matter. I also take into account that success is subjective as well as objective and therefore personal. We do not all begin at the same start line.

From what i have seen in this game you donā€™t want to add any negativity in the form of pressure as it affects performance. Pressures can be expectation, time, money, value systems etc. So the aim is to remove as much of that nonsense as is humanly possible and knowing exactly what to do beforehand when it is not. I also consciously practice this and can measure and review performance and improvement.

A monthly income or capital accumulation? I can see a bunch of advantages and disadvantages with both depending on an individuals circumstances and/or; a practical versus an academic platform. In the end though the only circumstances that are important when planning your ā€˜attackā€™ are your own.

The level of sleep was acceptable :slight_smile:

Ok, lets say i have Ā£10 million in the bank :wink: and set aside Ā£1 million for trading. I could use the trading income every month to pay for bills and expenses. It may make more sense in that scenario than trading for capital accumulation again depending on the factors listed in my previous post.

If you have Ā£100 in a trading account and make Ā£40, it may be an idea to withdraw the Ā£40 and buy yourself something ā€˜niceā€™ once in a while rather than going for capital accumulation, againā€¦depending on the factors listed in my previous post.

If you have a Ā£100k account a house and no mortgage or loans a monthly income may be for youā€¦

If you have a Ā£10k account instead of working 1 day per week in a part-time job you may choose to withdraw your profits every month.

I could do a bunch of scenarioā€™s for capital accumulation tooā€¦ but i think you get the idea.

Withdrawing profits regularly from broker can be a good idea; i usually withdraw profits by leaving the necessary capital behind.