Reasons for volume increase on EUR/USD jul-oct 2016?

Hi guys!

My first posting here. Am a beginner at this still but am actually starting to understand the basics which is nice! :slight_smile:

Looking at EUR/USD i notice a significant increase in the volume during the period july through october 2016 and would appreciate any thoughts on why this occurred.

Thanks!

Hi Mrcandleman, welcome to the forum.

Please excuse my answering a question with a question ( :8: ) but where did you notice this? Are you perhaps referring to one specific counterparty market-maker’s “volume”, to “Euro futures volumes”, or what?

Hi lexys!

Thanks for replying!

The platform I’m using (Jforex) indicates a volume for each candle displayed, I’m assuming this is the amount of money that has changed hands during the candles’ duration. This value can also be displayed at the bottom of the chart as bars, one for each candle. This volume is significantly higher from the middle of july 2016 until the middle of october 2016 compared to the months following but also, and this is more curious, compared to any candle going back many years in time.

I hope I’ve been able to clarify what I mean!

Here’s the thing, Mr C: spot forex doesn’t have identifiable “volume” - it isn’t traded through a central exchange, so there’s no way of monitoring or recording its volume.

Hence my confusion about your question.

I trade from volume bars, myself, but I’m [B][U]not[/U][/B] trading spot forex.

If you [B][U]are[/U][/B], then I strongly suspect that the “volume” you’re seeing displayed represents only the volume being transacted [I]by your individual broker[/I] (not easy to see how it could be anything else?!), and that may not be representative of the underlying market at all, and perhaps especially if your broker is a counterparty market-maker rather than a genuine broker, it probably [U]won’t[/U] be representative of the underlying market at all.

So we need more information, here. The short answer to your original question, at the moment, is really “It might not mean anything at all because it might not actually be so.”

Well, that’s good to know! I figured the banks and brokers shared such data but then again, that would inevitably be on a trust-basis I guess - you’d never know for sure if every broker reported the truth, or anything at all for that matter.

You are probably right, The volume indicated is most likely the volume transacted by my ECN. I will ask them about it. Also: good to learn about market-makers!

And, yes, I am trading spot forex.