Non traders - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non traders

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Non-traders are just like traders - they have all sorts of different interests. Some of them are interested to hear what I have to say about trading, they ask me questions, even like to watch me trade, which I don't mind, others I know wouldn't have any interest.

I find people who aren't traders only appreciate three types of financial activity - investment, gambling and wheeler-dealing. Anyway, being English, talking about money with anyone except my bank manager brings me out in shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by tommor View Post
    being English, talking about money with anyone except my bank manager brings me out in shingles.

You can get vaccinations against that, these days ... but I suppose they might not quite have got as far South/West as Devon, yet ...

I find people who aren't traders only appreciate three types of financial activity - investment, gambling and wheeler-dealing. Anyway, being English, talking about money with anyone except my bank manager brings me out in shingles.
    It's a funny and strange habit because Britain is obsessed with monetising everything through discussions in news or other information channels that are constantly bringing calculatons in Pounds to most topics; yet when it comes to talking about one's own money matters, somehow it becomes taboo.

I have always found it easier to tell people what I earn when talking about my job than not, and indeed it is refreshing to know that there a few people like me, who are not embarrassed to briefly discuss their earnings...

That is just a very personal viewpoint...everyone is entitled to not discuss something that they wish to keep a secret: I just do not like to pretend, or to feel that I have to lie about my (rather average) earnings, so I just lay it out there and leave it for people to reciprocate or not. Given that money is an impersonal function and does not define me or my culture, I do not feel protectiive about what I earn: indeed, I have no issues telling people about my time chased by debt collection agencies and standing in the dole office after I lost my job in late 2008.

It is somehow seen as distasteful by some, but again talking about your own earnings in a respectful (rather than arrogant or self-pitying) way is to my eyes a sign of openness and humbleness.
    Last edited by PipMeHappy; 03-20-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexys View Post
    You can get vaccinations against that, these days ... but I suppose they might not quite have got as far South/West as Devon, yet ...

With only one good road in and a railway link that's sometimes under the sea contact with up-country is a slow process. Its only in the last couple of years we've had the road into THE airport made two lanes so now a car and a tractor can pass by without one giving way.

Its only in the last couple of years we've had the road into THE airport made two lanes so now a car and a tractor can pass by without one giving way.

Lol, I admit I did stop for the cream tea when I drove through on my way to/from Cornwall ... can't remember now whether the jam or the clotted cream goes on the scones first ...

Lol, I admit I did stop for the cream tea when I drove through on my way to/from Cornwall ... can't remember now whether the jam or the clotted cream goes on the scones first ...
    Jam up your scones first and then clot up your arteries
    Last edited by PipMeHappy; 03-20-2017 at 08:12 PM.

I was thinking that might be in Cornwall ... and in Devon it's cream first, then jam?

Look, this is really important to get right. Its cream first, then jam. The only exception is if there's also butter, in which case its butter first, then jam, then cream; but with a good scone butter is not needed. Eat while scone is still warm or before heart attack, whichever is the sooner, as PipMeHappy implies.

PS: There's no vaccination for being English.

Forum Sponsors