This is not a Holy Grail (Simple Method)

I use Trending market to refer to strong movement in one direction (uptrending or downtrending) and to know how much market is trending, use your ADX. If the value of ADX line not (DI+, DI-) is lower than 20, this is a non-trending market. If the value is higher than 40, this is a strong trend occuring.

Non-trending market (sideways) also named rangebound. The price tends to move within thin channels for long periods of time without breaking either side.

Just what i wanted to hear!:):smiley:

Like the great Einstein said, “Make everything as [B]simple[/B] as possible, but not simpler.”

You should have a separate system or “plan” to trade ranging versus trending market. One will work like make money hand over fist, while the other will lose money and your face will want to hit your fist.

The easy part is creating a system for a trending market and another system for a ranging market. The hard part or billion dollar question is knowing when to use which at the appropriate time. :smiley:

GO TO:

VTSystems.com

Open a demo account and download:

VTTrader

This trading software allows you to try out example trading systems (with buy/sell indicators), build and trial your own systems and even get into the software to develop your own indicators, or modify the existing ones.

In addition to this, you can demo trade your inventions.

Have fun!

It’s a very hard question indeed. but I can just consider that market is trending much more than ranging and have a money management plan that keeps winners over losers. :slight_smile:

I love trading the GBP/USD but I constantly have this problem. It will move 30 pips in my favor so I use my trailing stop and wham, im out of the trade and miss the next 60 pip movement :frowning: . If I use no trailing stop then it reverses and I break even because I always move the stop up to cover the spread. Let me know if you have any luck using mulitple lots because I might give that a try. Atleast you can lock in profit by closing one lot, but then you cut your pip value in half for the rest of the potential move up. I think money management is one of the hardest things to master in FX.

Money Management is indeed the hardest part.

You do not want to trail your profit then miss out a major move in your favour.
But also, it does not look good to see 20+ reversed into 20- during day.

The challenge, biggest challenge. You can’t be perfect with setting up these.

What we will do?
GBP is a big mover. We have to limit our loss.

I suggest using multiple lots or trailing stop your lot.

example:

open 2 lots, and set tp 20 pips for 1 lot. lock in these pips.

trail the profit on the second one or stop it at no loss if it didn’t go in your favour.

or use 1 lot, but this way, if price went your favour then reversed totally…then moved again in your favour, you gain nothing.

I am trying to do some modifications to make the method so simple, and will share it when it’s done, I will demo trade with lots today and find out.

Here’s what you need to remember about setting stop loss to break even:

Yes you will be stopped out and then see your (former) trade work out beautifully many many times. But, how do you know it just won’t go against you if you didn’t have that stoploss there? Plus, you can never go wrong with having only winning/break even trades.

I wish for myself that every trade I went into was timed right so that I would be in the money a few minutes later and that I could lock in my stoploss at slightly above break even. Worst case scenario: 100% profitable trades, many small profits. Best case scenario: 100% profitable trades, many huge profits with stoplosses following at a distance.

It doesn’t get better than 100% though!! And the better your entries (timing-wise), the fewer times you get stopped out at breakeven.

I agree with you 100% on that :slight_smile: I will work on using multiple lots and try to perfect the timing to increase profits but one thing is for sure I will never not use stops.

It’s a Java based application from Oanda FX game (for demo play).
Very recommended.
One more thing, is there a way to save the chart, not to prepare it newly everytime after every logout out of the system?

You can save template as whole, which includes the chart. but you can’t save multiple charts I think.

Got 61 fresh pips with the method, tho I traded e/u!
I had a day off so i monitored all the “stops and takes” manually!

Congratulations, share losing trades as well !
:slight_smile:

I will modify the method (minor modifications), for everyone. Please recheck the first post

Yesterday signals in a picture.

Newest signal from the method:

See how ADX lines turned positive, blue above red.
SAR was delayed (It didn’t came with the signal candle)

The correct entry would be 1.3144, when SAR agreed on the trend.

Closed 20+ in demo
and 21+ in demo for Cable

It can go up more, it’s your own decision.

I want to add that using Heikin Ashi makes trends shape easier and market waves as well. If you made a deeper look you can tell me when the market wave is ending from the looks of shadows and candle colors.
(Often, there is a series of candles in one direction)

Picture for recent newest trade,
I wish you caught it.

The earlier signal:

Gave short altogether at 1.3145 and dropped to maximum of 1.3136.
Kidding me, only 6+ pips then turned long signal to give nearly 25+ pips.

I can’t resolve this problem guys. You should use your discretion to open/close trades.

A trade would give from 1+ to 100+ pips.
A stop wouldn’t help you in the case, but if you open 4 lots, close one lot every 5pip profit. then again, some trades are too generous and give 50+ or over.

Use little stoploss, we must respect risk-reward ratio.

If you found a method for SL and TP please help us.

Another nice day for the method.

Hi TopChess:

What is Heikin Ashi? I read where you mentioned it in an earlier post.

Regarding where to place a SL; it’s really a difficult decision. In my opinion, this is one of the two items that makes the art of trading lean more towards gambling than investing.

When I comtemplate theories of where to place a SL my mind starts spinning. I don’t want to place it too close and have it trigger when the pair may have just been going through a few of it’s wild movements before heading off where I want it to go.

On the other hand, if I’ve stepped into a trade that is destinded to take off in the opposite direction (determining the direction a pair will travel is the second item that puts trading into the gambling arena,) the loss is as large as where the SL was placed.

To summarize; for me two clouds hang over my head 1) which direction a pair is really going to travel, and 2) where should I place the SL?

I like to type out my problems, it causes me to review my issues.

Hello,

Happy new year. :slight_smile:

Heikin Ashi is a candlestick pattern that makes market trends look better and easier to identify (ofcourse in trending markets), If you see any picture above, there will be a series of red candles or blue candles in a row forming what is like a “Trend” or a “Wave”.

More on Heikin Ashi (from investopedia)
The Heikin-Ashi technique is extremely useful for making candlestick charts more readable–trends can be located more easily, and buying opportunities can be spotted at a glance. The charts are constructed in the same manner as a normal candlestick chart, with the exception of the modified bar formulas. When properly used, this technique can help you spot trends and trend changes from which you can profit!

I share your problem. Stoploss is the biggest challenge of forex, may I tell you I got 2 trades stopped out at -30 when S and R breaks only to see trades went my favour after hitting SL to make around +40?

It’s a serious challenge. If we do not use stoploss, that can wipe out accounts. If we use stoploss, we need to know that it’s really the right point to-stop-loss.

So placing your trailing stop and stoploss or any stop order is very big decision. Indeed, while the method gives you all accurate trades, one trade last for 10 pips, and another for 100 pips. You can’t know. :slight_smile:

From my experience, the trade won’t fly through my direction just when I open it, and that makes putting a SL harder.