Technical Templates Continued

In the first thread Alternative techincal templates, I see that most of the member’s discuss James 40-100 pip thread. I couldn’t find that thread elsewhere. What exactly is that method based off ? PA ? could anyone locate it ?

That thread was deleted for copyright reasons more or less. There was nothing in that thread that you needed anyway, the ATT threads contain everything including what could be found in James thread.

Apparently it discussed a short timeframe based price action trigger that pivoted around the stochastic indicator.
The guy presenting it got a pretty bad rap on here for allegedly lifting it from some marketing guru or other, & he didn’t really utilize it to its maximum potential.

The concept actually goes way back & has been copy & pasted onto a multitude of different technical models, but Carll & one of Tess’ software development team took it a stage further, testing various permutations & parameters, eventually refining it into a workable template that keyed off an hourly based directional cycle bias.

The end result being a stochastic hook trigger which is one of 2 multi-timeframe entry trigger options keying off very specific momentum set ups.

There are some examples of it on here in its early format.
Carll altered it last year & has further refined this year to better fit/match the current technical layout, but it’s still a reasonably reliable confirmation aid in it’s original format when referencing directional bias influenced pullbacks via sub hourly timeframes.

The simple things always work best!

He is but he won’t be around until Thursday (gmt) afternoon Matt.
I’ll leave a message to look in as they’ve all unsubscribed from thread reply prompts.

The hook trigger you’re referring to is highlighted & presented within the contents of the thread, but I can’t locate the second one. Is it on here anywhere? & if not can I cheekily ask if you’re willing to discuss & show any examples of it in action & the specific momentum setups it/they correspond to? :slight_smile:

Sean,

This question relates to minor pullback breaks. Once price pops out of a level the approach is to drop to a micro-timeframe and seek ledges in the momentum of the move and engage of breaks of these pullbacks. (see graphic below)

I’m assuming that your stop placements for these fast entries to the market are above the consolidation ledge, rather than back above the breakout zone. So in this 1 min example your stop would be at 1.2960 rather than 70 (above break) or 80 (above the swing).

Is that assumption the way you play it?

There are set ups & triggers related to very specific & repetitive technical plays that weren’t ever shared here compact, so not submitting that particular one isn’t really anything out of the ordinary.

The hook trigger when applied with a disciplined approach, in a higher probability context, is a very effective & robust tool.

Just this week, those trading the correct structural (long only) background + simple trigger on eur/usd have deposited between 7.5 & 10% profit into their accounts (proofed to us) with minimal initial risk & effort. I noticed a few more proofing between 11 & 12.5% using the same combo trading euro crosses when I checked today.

All those bets were triggered by patiently waiting for the foreground elements to line up with the background bias. And those are very common & consistent scenarios associated to just that one individual primary/secondary set up combination.

Do the simple & basic things well, don’t overcomplicate it & resist the urge to short-circuit a well drilled, disciplined approach.

Hi Matt.
Nice to see you’re still around & cutting out your groove!

The question you need to ask yourself, & continue to always ask, is whether the risk stop (wherever that may be or is called for) is sufficiently comfortable & practical for your requirements to engage under those specific conditions, because each opportunity will bring differing variables into play each time you consider placing a bet.

You will (or certainly should) obviously be triggering with a consideration for the background scenario leading up to the entry & you’ll have precise objectives for entry, initial and/or ongoing management & conclusion of the bet.

If what you’ve highlighted above represents a typical execution profile for you, then I’m presuming you’ve recorded the success of that risk measure & outcomes in your plan conclusions.

As you’ll know from the content, the success of some of these breakout moves (& whether or not we choose to engage) will very much depend on what’s influencing the price action leading up to the event & what phase the market is currently trading under.

Not all technical opportunities are created equal.

That’s a very important point & one worth highlighting.
It seems such a simple element of a typical trade plan doesn’t it, but how many times I wonder is it actually adhered to.

The word you’re looking at there is selectivity.
If you use that in tandem with logic & a well drilled structure you won’t get into too much trouble Matt.
I can see from reading those comments that you appear to be well in control of things, including not getting side tracked or distracted.

Keep plugging away :wink:

That’s fair enough. But if you don’t ask you don’t get.
I was just intrigued what other set ups & triggers you guys have up your sleeves. If they’re anywhere near as enjoyable to trade as this one, then those people trading them are extremely lucky.

You’ll get no arguments from me on that score.

I began testing & trading that setup last summer alongside another intraday strategy I use when I first interacted with AltTab, laine & catcher on here & they kindly expanded on a few points I raised.
Im thoroughly satisfied with the results & agree with what Matt say’s about being selective with its usage.

I find it works best for me when price begins to open out on the 60 & 15 minute charts. Breakouts of temporary trend exhaustions or corrections that click back into impulse moves are also some of my favourite applications, this week’s price action on NZD/JPY being a very good example of that.

You guys provided some excellent material to this place, so thank you for that.

Did carll post somewhere his reasoning or explanation of the stochastic hook? I have looked for it but all I find are some making reference to it or discussing it in some way; I would like to find carll’s original post if possible. I wonder if maybe it is in one of the other Tech. Tepl. threads. Hope someone can help, thank you, dobro

I think it got deleted with a bunch of stuff a while back dobro.

It’s basically just something he developed & utilized via a combination timeframe approach as a potential pullback/continuation heads up on sub hourly timeframes when prices are cycling in trend mode.

So for instance the 240 or 60 minute chart (depending on your style, risk profile & preference) has to be cycling up or down printing at least a couple of higher highs/higher lows or lower highs/lower lows.

Once a trending cycle has been identified the option exists to drop down into a sub hourly timeframe of choice (either a 15 or 5 minute) & wait to trigger pullbacks that correspond with extreme stochastic hooks moving in the direction of the dominant trend.

So, only triggering entries hooking up off 20 whilst prices on the hourlies are cycling bullish & hooking down off 80 whilst prices on the hourlies are cycling bearish.

Time of day & available daily range coverage are also referenced in order to offer higher continuation probability.
That’s it in a nutshell.
Nothing too complex, just a logical use of a couple of technical price aids.

Thanks catcher, I hand a pretty good understanding of it and your explanations of the TFs completes the picture. d.

I saw a couple of references to it here & there on 3 Ducks as I read through it but didn’t really pay it much attention.
So it’s a sort of early bird entry option.

Presumably, instead of waiting for the most recent 5 min highs to be taken out today on NZDUSD & AUDUSD, the alternative long entry would be the hooks at 0.8345 & 1.0460 at the start of the London session?

That’s the general idea yes.
They’re both momentum approaches, but whereas the traditional 3 ducks set up is presented as a breakout continuation trigger, the hook offers a pullback continuation option.

It can also be used as a dual trigger by matching pullbacks that hook up or down the 60/15min timeframes at the same time.
But you would need to check out whether or not it offers you a potentially higher probability bet based on your risk appetite & trading objectives.

Hello.
Are you guys referring to specific entry rules above ?

I have been reading some of these threads (TT and 3Ducks) with interest. As far as I can work out from my reading so far they are both multi-tf approaches so they apply the mantra “always trade with the dominant trend”. The threeducks has its own view on how to determine the dominant trend thru the 3 different timeframes and a simple momentum based entry on the 5min. The techTemplates approach is more support-resistance (or say supply-demand) related and takes into account weekly and daily levels and how price reacts to these levels to reach a decision on how to approach a trade. And the entry mechanism is different for different people e…g 1-2-3, Stoch hook, IB or whatever.

Would that be a fair assessment ?
And if so, on the face of it, you could construct a model combining the two approaches, taking bits from each which sit easier with a person’s psychology/view of reading the market. Maybe people have already done that…I haven’t read thru all the threads yet (it’s quite a long process), so I might not have reached postings which do this.

Thanks.

(P.S > haven’t visited babypips for ages…so only a recent poster…like the forum)

No. Entries & exits are, & always should be tailored to your own particular preferences.

Correct.
The approach presented later in the thread is a simple plug in & play structure or framework from which to avail oneself of short-medium range momentum based market activity.

The early stuff did indeed reference support & resistance but they dropped it completely as the discretionary option evolved, preferring to advise a more simplified, slim-line momentum style approach.

The levels however continue to play a pivotal role in the discretionary model.
As with anything betting related, folks are of course free to utilize whatever floats their boat.

One or two have yeah.
The current format is discussed in a very informal setting here; 301 Moved Permanently

Thanks for update. Will check it out.

To add to what Alt Tab said, the various threads in the ATT stream evolved over several years depending on the audience, questions and participants.

Support and Resistance was a core part of the beginning comments and the most important take-away from the discussion was that location was a key part of the template. Taking a trade through or from a level presented better risk and return opportunities than playing the middle of a range, at least for those who were using that template.

3 Ducks in its purest form doesn’t consider location or S+R but if you find adding it into the template gives you a positive outcome that meets your risk criteria and trade objectives then go for it. Like all filters or elements you add to a template, there will be trade off which you need to assess in line with how you intend to approach the market - short visits or multi-handle trend plays, close or loose risk, etc. There’s no right answer or magic bullet here or in the threads, as what suits one person may not have a positive outcome for another.

Certainly both the pure S+R plays and 3 Ducks continue to be profitable templates to use for me.

they did indeed & still do Matt, as you’re testement to.
but that’s the beauty & one of the key advantages of running a low maintenance set up, especially & particularly a discretionary one.

the fewer moving parts the better & if it possesses a strong engine room or core element such as directional momentum for instance, you’ll always be well prepared when markets either contract or expand for lengthy periods of time, which they always do at some point.

so instead of binning an approach & starting over, flitting like a butterfly from one low probability method to another or trying to reinvent the wheel for the umpteenth time, simply keep adjusting your sights & scopes to suit the current environment on your chosen asset class.

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for the great material shared here. I hope someone can point me in the right direction if possible. I’ve been reading Carll’s posts regarding the stochastic hook and I still don’t get where entries are to be placed.

Say for example that last Friday’s London Session conditions had lined up for long orders in the EUR/USD (directional bias, sufficient weekly and daily ranges left, levels of interest at play, etc), and then you had the hook like the one in the below chart, where would you pull the trigger? Is this done at the breakout of point 2 at 1.1270? Or right after the formation of point 3 at 1.1260 for instance?

Thanks for reading and for the feedback.