Trading spot gold and spot oil

:smiley: happy trading time everybody…just wanna share my trading strategy on spot gold and oil(with brokers that offering it!)
on a daily chart basis,i put aline on the high and low for each of the 2 commodities…then put a buy stop and a sell stop,at the high and low price of the precedent day…plus 2 times the spread;gold have a 50 pips spread(odl) then entry on a buystop at high price plus 100 pips…same for the sell stop…low price minus 100 pips for the entry.then you just have to setup if you want some targets and trailing stops…personnaly i am using a tool that can managed the trade at the moment the trade is on,using some trailings stop,trailing start features and breakeven value with pips to breakeven…for beeing sure to exit the trade with a minimum of gain each time my targets are not full reached;i setup the trade every day at the market close(gold and oil)4:00 pm eastern time(new york time) then look at it only the day after on the morning…targets should be the ones you are comfortable with,but stoploss must be the difference in pips between the high and low price of your reference candle!..if the sell stop had been launched…then i keep the buy stop and resetup a new sell stop order on the actual daily candle…inverse for a buy stop activated…both strategy for both oil and spot gold;i am using this strategy for 3 months so far with 49 winning trades and only 2 losses… so happy trading time guys!:smiley:

In Oil that would mean S/L +300 pips on certain days. On Oct 27th almost 400 pips.

Gold you are looking @S/L +650 pips on certain days like Nov 3rd.

What’s your R:R for those Gold & Oil trades of yours…?

:D…stoploss always same value of the difference between the high-low of yesterday’s candle;if the sell stop is launched,then stoploss will be the high of the ref candle plus the spread;if the candle of yesterday is 1400 pips long,then the stoploss will be 1400 pips + 50 pips for the spread… for odl on spot gold and just apply same pattern on oil!;you can see my trades of last week on the print screen! so happy trading time !:smiley:

Have you tried selling the highest high and buying the lowest low?

:smiley: no hess,not tried yet…but on what basis…i am trading these commodities on daily basis…if i had done this ,on a daily basis with the uptrend of last week,i should had burn my account by taking a see limit at each new high!:wink:

:smiley: a sell limit i mean!:wink:

Yes…with Demo account. If you look closely @your last screenshot you can tell.

Paper trading without R:R calculation is an exercise in vain. As soon as you trade real money you’ll be in for a surprise.

And another little tidbit for ya…demo trading Oil & Gold is like trading in slow motion because volatility is toned down.

As soon as you trade Gold & Oil with real money you’ll be in for a nasty surprise…it’s like volatility on steroids. You need some very quick fingers to get out of there other than on a stretcher.

:D…bizarre…i am a newbie on babypips…cas, but i am trading spot gold and oil for 3 years so far;demo platform and real platform have both same movements on candles and i always trade with both(demo and real )at same time on different screen…i have four screen;the only way it is possible to trade with profitability on any mt4 platform,whatever demo or real is to use some tools that can allow you to put some stoploss an hidden targets,in purpose of not show to the brokers where he can stop you out! i paid for a ttol that permit me to do that and since that moment,i had not been stolen by brokers again;it is not possible to have different movements on candles on real platform and differents moves on the demo…at same time;only things that will change the course of a pair ,both on demo and real account…is real orders send to the brokers and then he will take position against you,expecting and wihing you to loose…in that case both demo and real platform will react same way!why do you think that in economic news reports time,demo platform are frozen while real ones continue to be feeded…it is because servers are overloaded and priority is given to real orders,but both demo and real are feede at same sources; the printscreens you saw is on my demo platform,in purpose of developping new strategy on trading gold and oil;but i have real account too,for 2 years so far and it still growing at a very comfortable pace.this thread is for inform peoples that we can trade oil and gold with profitability…not showing peoples my real account statement

General poussin - yes, whatever you say…it’s fine with me. Before I’m being accused again of abusing people…or whatever it’s called to fit the bill…I’ll refrain from asking questions.

In fact I’ll refrain from asking questions at all from now on.

No wonder the Pro’s don’t stay long on this board.

:D…i understand cas…but just try it…you’ll see by urself;in fact ,if you want to be honest till the end,you should tell people the truth about the fact that all of the brokers using mt4 platform are there to make you loose money,and in fact…the mt4 platform had been created in this purpose by metaquotes,and brokers are paying a lot of money to metaquotes for using the mt4 platform,and in exchange…metaquotes is giving them all the tools they need to create virtual peak and spikes for stopped you out on your targets…it is why i am using my own hidden targets tool;…also…i supposed that all of the pros u are talking about will only trade euro/usd and gbp/usd…more ranging pairs with more conservatives targets…but any good strategy on pairs can be applied on commodities,but it is normal that your targets and stoplosses must reflect all of the volatility of the currency or commoditiy u are trading with…it is normal to adjust stoplosses,targets and lot size value…but results will be the same at the end…:wink:

:smiley: just want to tell you that i do not consider your intervention like some kind of abusive act on me!!..not at all! but i consider this discussion on a normal and respectable way of trying to understand and help each other on trying to find all together a way to trade this market on any profitable and possible way!..thank you for your reply!:smiley:

:D:Djust want to tell you that i do not consider your intervention like some kind of abusive act on me!!..not at all! but i consider this discussion on a normal and respectable way of trying to understand and help each other on trying to find all together a way to trade this market on any profitable and possible way!..thank you for your reply!

you would have burnt your account because your stop is too large. Reason i ask is that your stop loss seems quite large. i’m certain ur average tp is much lower than your stop. if u trade a break of the highest high or the lowest low its advisable to keep your stop much smaller. You’ll get stopped out a lot but once you latch on to a trend you need to ride it. Trend following sytems usually have win rates of about 40%. Simply coz markets range more than they trend. You’re attempting to aim for a high hit rate with a breakout system for this to happen you have to have a very large stop.

If you want a high hit rate sell the highest high and buy the lowest low, price reacts at these levels. This way you’d maintain a high hit rate and a decent r:r. although your pip gain would be much smaller.

just a suggestion :slight_smile:

just out of curiosity despite your r:r you say you’ve been trading profitably for 2 years. Whats you percent gain and max drawdown during this time? Or is that a secret too? i’m just curious to know how a string of losses affected your system with this kind of stop, its a genuine question and I hope u dont take offense.

:slight_smile:

:smiley: thank you for your reply Hess…first of all…Hess…if you ever trade spot gold,you should know that a stoploss of 1400 pips is worthing in fact 140 pips because 1 lot in spot gold worth $1 usd,instead of $10.00 like used too,then do not tell me that itiis the first time you see a stoploss of 140 pips;i recognisze that the gold commodity is very volatile…oil too,and it is why i am using a tool of mine for taking charge of the trade (hidden stoploss and breakeven protection) for helping me to made a minimum of pips just before the trend goes the opposite way;in fact ,this strategy is a candle trading system using the high-low of the reference candle as the usual stoploss!..most important it is better to try it and make some pips…you’ll see by urself:eek:
about my account progresson …+2362 pips ,both oi land gold(most of pips with gold…much volatility),since 4 of november…so far…or if you prefer…+$10,532.00 usd till january 2009…initial bank deposit was $3000.00 in february 2007…actual balance is $30,532.00 usd…odl securities london:D

:D…If you want a high hit rate sell the highest high and buy the lowest low, price reacts at these levels. This way you’d maintain a high hit rate and a decent r:r. although your pip gain would be much smaller.

just a suggestion
…ur absolutely right…Hess with your suggestion…risk reward is a lot more comfortable with your setup…but the key of my own setup is a lot more the idea of placing oil stop orders just before the end of trading session(for be ready for the hogh volatility of it next opening)…and for gold …after the end of ny stock exchange session…then the day after in the morning …just before the premarket opening of new york stock exchange…a place some new stop ordersif required too(in case of of my orders are closed )…i setup a sell and buy stop 2 times a day for both oil and gold…i know that the r.r may fear some traders,i really understand…but it work for me for a while and 99% of the time my trades are winning ones…i do not proclaim having found the holy grail…but my win ratio is very goog and i am making some money doiing what i like the most…trading;)

:Doh! yes…by the way…whatever my stoploss is… i will always respect to never used a stoploss that could risk me a loss more than 5% of my equity…so with a new account of $3,000.00 usd …5% in spot gold is worhing 1500 pips($150.00 usd…$1/pips) and if the reference candle high-low differential is less than 1500…much better for me!!!..i really not expect to have a string of 20 loss of 5% in a row…while i am experiencing a win ratio near 99 % so far;)

Hi General,
I’m confused how you get 5% of $3000 at $1/pip to be 1500 pips…do you mean 1500 pipettes? 5% of $3000 is $150 and at $1/pip is still 150 pips. :confused:

:Dtrading 0.1 lot size…sweet pip!..sorry…forgot to tell it,but on my precedent print screen…you’ll see the lot size on gold trading!:wink:

thx for the reply, unfortunately i don’t trade gold (doesn’t suit me)

could you also tell us what the max drawdown you had? you say you have a 99% win ratio over these two years so I’m assuming you haven’t had more than 3 losses in a row so your max drawdown at any point would probably have been 15% (or even less).

If this is true I’m quite impressed your the first person I’ve seen with a r:r of way below 1 make such impressive gains (1000%) with such little drawdown (10-15%) in just about two and a half years.

wow sounds too good to be true, I’ve never even heard anyone match this performance and i’ve been around for quite a while.

Unbelievable. congratulations.