PivoFibo system

[B]The PivoFibo trading system[/B]
This trading system was developed based on two elements of technical analysis: Fibonacci retracement and Pivot Points; hence the quirky name PivoFibo. When trading with the momentum – going long in an up-trend and going short in a down-trend, these elements when combined generate very powerful trade signals. You will see how.
[B]Concept Refresher[/B]
[B]Fibonacci retracement[/B] – The most important thing to note is that the Fibonacci concepts work best when the market is displaying clear trends, i.e. making smooth high and lows. In an up-trend, you would draw the retracement from the highest low to the highest high. Similarly, in a down-trend, the retracement would be drawn from the lowest high to the lowest low. When there is a clear trend, the market will pull back or retrace a certain percentage before continuing the trend. These pullbacks occur frequently at the following Fibonacci retracement levels 38.2%, 50%, 61.8% and 78.6%. For the purposes of this trading system, we will concentrate only on the 61.8% and 78.6% levels. No trade shall ever be placed on any other Fibonacci level (e.g. 50%) since the risk is simply too high. The idea here is to minimize the probability of losing a trade! Again, trades shall be placed at no other level but the 61.8% and 78.6% retracements.
[B]Pivot Points[/B] – We will use pivot points to identify support and resistance levels. Pivot points are very similar to the Fibonacci levels in that they are objective markers being watched by most traders and are almost self-fulfilling. Now you may be getting a sense of the power of the signals generated by the trading system – combing Fibonacci and pivot points. For the purposes of this trading strategy, we will use weekly and monthly pivots. The weekly pivot point (weekly PP) will have its own set of resistance levels (weekly R1, weekly R2) and support levels (weekly S1, weekly S2). Similarly, the monthly pivot point (monthly PP) will have resistance levels (monthly R1, monthly R2) and support levels (monthly S1, monthly S2). The key thing to know here is that market will always test these levels and at times breakthrough these levels. Treat these pivots as powerful support and resistance levels.
[B]The Power of Two: Pivo + Fibo[/B]
If you understand the concepts behind Fibonacci levels and pivot points, the functioning of this system will be easy for you to understand. You may use this trading technique as is, or modify it to suit your trading style – the end result will be a stellar FX trading system!
For this system to work, the market will have to have a clear direction – up-trend or down-trend. You will also need weekly and monthly PP, S1, S2, R1, R2 levels on your chart. This can be calculated manually or you can use the freely available pivot point indicator. Ensure that your Fibonacci retracement tool displays the 61.8% (0.618) and 78.6% (0.786) levels. This strategy works best on 1hour and 4 hour charts.
First, identify the trend of the market. Is it an up-trend or a down-trend? We will go long in an up-trend and short in a down-trend; i.e. trade with the momentum.

For an up-trend, draw your Fibonacci levels from the previous low (highest low) to the highest high. Wait for the retracement to occur at the 61.8 or 78.6 Fibonacci level. If the Fibonacci retracement level coincides with any one of the pivot point levels (monthly S1, S2, R1, R2 or weekly S1, S2, R1, R2) the trade is on. You would enter the trade when the market makes a clear low at Fibonacci and monthly support or resistance levels. A low can be defined by the formation of two bullish candlesticks to the right and left of a low candlestick on the 15 minute chart.
The stop loss will be placed at the previous low. Since we are trading at the 61.8 and 78.6 Fibonacci levels only, the loss is minimized.

—See attachment for images------

Where would T/P be placed at? Often I do not see these trades working out to the 127% or 161.8% level…

T/P can be set at 30 pips or =“Risk”. Whichever is greater.

Placed BUY ORDER on EUR/GBP based on PivoFibo. Market on an uptrend --> retracing at 78.9 Fib and Weekly R1. SL at previous low --> risk is small. TP at 0.85112.

See attachment for image.

Buy order placed after market bounced off Fib 78.6 and Weekly R1 level. Profit = 40 pips.

Placed a trade on the USD/CAD pair today. Went short after the market made a crown; broke the uptrend - then retraced at [B]61.8[/B] Fib level and tested the [B]Weekly R1[/B]. Followed the downtrend: Profit of 45 pips.

Note that the Weekly R1 was just above the Monthly PP. The market’s lowest high tested the monthly PP but was not able to break it. Retracement was at the 61.8 Fib level.

Hi sandeep249,

Do you trade this strategy for a living or just demoing. How profitable is the system. How many trades do you get per day from this system.

Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Prem

I use this system to trade Forex and place about 2-3 trades per week (average). Here are the results of the trades placed over the past couple of months:

[U]October 2010:[/U]
Week2: +45pips, +50pips, +50pips
Week3: -36pips, -33pips
Week4: +55pips, +40pips, -29pips
Week5: +50pips
[B]Total:[/B] [B]+192 pips[/B]

[U]November 2010:[/U]
Week1: +60pips, -33pips
Week2: -40pips, +50pips, +50pips
Week3: +65pips
Week4: -37pips, +49pips
[B]Total:[/B] [B]+164 pips[/B]

Thank you for your trading System!

The profit is rather small for a swing trade. What is the reward/risk ratio?

Posted on an italian forex forum too: pivofibo trading system

Hi sandeep249,

During what time do you trade this system. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Prem

Hi sandeep249,

Please provide us with your template and indicators.

Thanks,
Prem

[QUOTE=sspremj;235093]Hi sandeep249,

Please provide us with your template and indicators.

Thanks,
Prem[/QUOTE]

I use this (attached) indicator for pivot points. There are several others out there. Apart from this one, I use the Fibonacci retracement tool.

Do you use charts of what time to trade? 15 minutes? 1 hour?
By the way, great system ^^ I’ll try it in a Demo…

And I have another 2 question to you

1. You put the Fibo using the Daily, Weekly or “timeframe” (15M, 1H…)??

2. what do you think about plotting in the chart the Daily AND Weekly pivots?

This is a good question, but unfortunately I dont have a simple answer for you. My reward-to-risk ratios are not set in stone and depend on the market movement and entry/ exit points. I limit my trades to swings = 62% or 79% Fib levels to minimize risk. I look for risk-to-reward ratios of atleast 4:1 (but this can vary!).

Yes, please try this system and let me know.

1. I use the 1 hour chart to trade.
  2. I use weekly and monthly pivots only. I tested with daily PP several months ago and the results were not as good.

last question…i didn’t get correctly, I think:

You trade using 1H charts. But you draw the Fibo using the 1H, too? Or daily one?

I draw the Fib retracements on the 1 hour charts as well.