Simple 5 EMA High/Low scalping strategy

Hello everyone!

I thought that I would like to contribute with a simple scalping system that I came across. It seems to work very well and can be used to make 10 pips a day or even more! Any help to improve this strategy is appreciated.

The price usually make a small retracement almost everytime a candle opens above/below the 5 EMA when the market is not in a trend, this strategy works best when the market is ranging. This usually happens before a trend starts and when a trend ends.

Let’s get to it!

Setup
Any pair, I prefer EUR/USD
Time frame: 5 Min
5 EMA High
5 EMA Low
(See attachments for the Template)

Rules

Entry sell: If a candle opens ABOVE the 5 EMA high SELL

Entry Buy: If a candle opens BELOW the 5 EMA BUY

Take profit: 5 pips or take what you can get!

Stop loss: I use 8 as stop loss but i’m unsure on this one, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Please read all posts before you start trading, there’s alot of usefull information!

Entry example, result example, template and an optional indicator to see time left on each candle is attached below
Note: I did not take all the trades in the Result example, it’s just an example of trade opportunities

Template and candletime indicator.zip (2.38 KB)

10 Likes

Just grabbed 5 pips right after posting this! :54:

3 Likes

how do you know the next candle going to be bullish or bearish? or you wait till the next candle closes?

Well you dont really know for sure but when the candle opens outside the the 5EMA the chance is big that the candle retraces back to the bands. If you wait until it has closed you might already have missed out on your 5 pips.

You could also add RSI 9 with levels 70 and 30 and only sell when RSI is above 70 and the candle opens outside the 5 EMA or vise versa for buy. This will give you a more accurate signal but alot lesser trades.

Forgot to mention though, if the candles rides the upper or lower EMA as in a up or down trend, stay away from a trade until the trend calms down.

Example:

Only made 3 trades today, +15 pips :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for putting this system on the forum!!!
I have been having trouble with the one I was using and frustration had set in. I know dedication is needed, and I stuck it out for a few months, but I just hit a wall.

Anyway, I found this thread yesterday at work. This morning I tried it out. My results…

1st trade= +5, 2nd trade= +6

If I would have gotten out of bed earlier, I would have even more trades!!!
I use the MACD set at 5,8,1 for confirmation of the trend coming to an end and changing direction.
The next time I post I will put up some screenshots. I have to leave for my J-O-B right now.

THANK YOU DANNY K !!!

2 Likes

Nice to hear AmishBuggyFX and you’re welcome! :wink:

Interesting thought with the MACD, looking forward to some screenies!

Oh and another thing!

For more confirmation you could also add the 5 EMA CLOSE to your chart. If the price moves far away from the 5 EMA close the price always seems to make a quick retrace back to the Close.

Here’s an example:

1 Like

nice stuff danny k.instead of looking for 5pips i took only 2 pips. i entered evrytime when there is an oppurtinity…so far no losses…might try this a little while…thanx…

Nice to hear! :slight_smile: You might wanna lower your stop loss if you’re just going for 2 pips. Keep us informed how it’s working out for you! :wink:

this could be a great model for ranging markets…

1 Like

How do you tell the candle is green or red when it first opened? Sometimes it changes color in seconds even 1 or 2 seconds. We can enter as long as the candle opens above or below EMA regardless of the distance from EMA? 5 pips take profit plus 2 pips spread is already 7 pips of fluctuation. The market might not fluctuate too much. What if our take profit is not hit after the next candle? Should we wait or exit? We can’t expose ourselves too long in the market, the direction might reverse any time, it is too risky since our take profit is too small. Sorry for many questions asked. Thanks.

This is why i take only 2 pips…whenever price is outside the EMA, lets say above the EMA…and the next candle start to go down by atleast 2 pips then you just OP sell.it will tp in just seconds(usually it will tp in the same candle or the next 2-3 candles).BUT, i will stay way from the setup if it has long opposite wick.Another thing…try to avoid trading in quiet market.what i meant by quiet market, is narrow EMA bands and recent move is no less than 4pips. This method only works with broker that have atleast 2 pips spread…anything bigger than 2 pips will just bring you bad trades more than good trades.This method also do not works 100% all the time.sometime the price just move 4pips from open which is bad…we need atleast 6 pips in order to get 2 pips tp(2pip spread+2pip buffer+2pip profit). Now Im still testing it for awhile and trying to get suitable sl for this method.

just my 2 cents.

update : pay attention to candlestick too…just had losing positon worth 6 pips just now…LOL…

You’re right it might change in seconds but if we take an example; A candle opens above the 5 EMA and is green then you might not wanna take the trade just yet as it might continue to go upwards.

Yes we can enter regardless how far away from the 5 EMA but you might want to be more carefull if it opens very close, you might not want to take 5 pips, maybe just 2 as qwertyuioped is doing, as I said in the first post “5 pips or take what you can get” This don’t have to mean that you’re going for 5 pips everytime, if you feel that it might turn around, get out regardless if you’re up only 1 pip.

And as qwertyuioped is saying, don’t trade in quite markets!

I have 1.5 in spread anyone have less?

Damn, missed out on two trades sitting here and writing! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you mean with “pay attention to candlestick” would you like to explain? :slight_smile:

sometimes the price move down alot then suddenly move back up to open.this looks like there are more people buying than selling…well dont know much…just a newbie…

In your example, when would you enter? Before the first green candle (after the bearish red candle closes)? During that candle? After that candle closes?

Also, I have a question regarding spread. I’m assuming you have a relatively tight spread, otherwise you wouldn’t be scalping. What do you do during news reports? Stay out? Sometimes spreads can widen, or price can move very quickly, I guess those wouldn’t be good times to trade this system?

That’s a tricky question though, if you enter on the first green candle you could risk that it’s going to continue to go down but as it opened extremely far away from the 5 EMA low and 5 EMA close, it would be (in most cases) a pretty safe enter, in this situation it would also be good to look at the RSI and look if it’s oversold, this will give you more confirmation and better confidence in the situation.

Try to aviod news times. One hour after London open and one hour after NY open would actually be pretty safe times to trade

1 Like

Do most of the Forex Brokers allow scalping? Or do they set a minimum amount of time a position must be held?

Very Interesting concept, but I have not noticed any of the “Senior Members” commenting on the pros / cons of this system.
Are the Newbies leading the way? :slight_smile:

1 Like