Forex Price Action

Grats mate!

For profit taking, we should always set a limit order at our target profit, however with limit order, wouldnt it limit our room for “let profit run”?? (we couldnt maximize our profit on a strong trend), can anyone help me out on this?

[QUOTE=“TkMpZ;491736”]For profit taking, we should always set a limit order at our target profit, however with limit order, wouldnt it limit our room for “let profit run”?? (we couldnt maximize our profit on a strong trend), can anyone help me out on this?[/QUOTE]

Split the trade up into 2 or 3 different positions with different TP

Congrats mate. It reflects your contribution to the education of your fellow traders :)…

Thanks to all that responded to my earlier post. That has promted further thoughts, namely about how we ‘trade-off’ set-up requirements.

As a newbie trying to be disciplined and learn etc, my priority order of issues/requirements for a trade are:

1. Place support and resistance lines– these are the hightest priority because I think that you want to place these without any consideration of other factors. I give myself only a few seconds to place two lines. If its not obvious and I cant do it in only a few seconds then I start to ‘see’ s/r lines that might not be there. Look for clear peaks and troughs. This is number one because you cant trade swings if there is no ‘macro’ indication of where swings might occur.

2. Trade with the trend – difficult at times because there might be a longer term clear trend, but a medium term opposite trend with its own retracement. I fall back on Elliot wave theory, looks for the clear 1,2,3,4,5 pattern forming, and remember that your looking for HHs and HLs (for an uptrend) (sometimes we get every indicator that we want except we forget that we haven’t completed the L, H, HL, LH pattern in the case of an uptrend or the H, L, LH, LL pattern in the case of a downtrend). This is number two because its another ‘macro’ component of any set up.

3. Swing points - Once I get the trend right I’m looking for clear swing points – that means I’m looking for highs and lows that are not tucked in amongst individual bars. For me a high and a low is not one bar, it’s a series of bars. In the case of a swing high, if I can remove the peak bar and it still looks like a swing high, then that’s good, but if I remove the the peak bar and what I see is really just sideways movement, then its not a swing high for me. This is three because even with an amazing candlestick (eg large pin bar, if its not in context then I’m not sure why the market is making such a price action candle in the first place.

4. Retracement – looking to see retracement back to a s/r that also has some confluence with a fib level or big round number or both! This is less important, but still more important that price action for me. As above, if you have price action, but its not at the end of retracement, then its probably against the trend, or not at a swing point.

5. Price action – this , as jonothan and others have indicated, is where I’m looking for very clear bars etc. But for me no matter how good the price action is, if I don’t have 1-4 above, I don’t trade.

Now what I make of all this is that these rules limit trading opportunities – and I note that jono et al have also indicated this to be true.

SO, what seems a natural tendancy if for us to ‘tradeoff’ some of these requirements to get into more trades – for example I note that Jono et al also trade against the trend when conditions suit. So from what I can tell, they value price action above trend, at times.

In fact below is an example of Jono identifiying a relatively big pin bar (page 358 of thread), but on a place in the chart that is clearly not a swing high. In doing so he’s valueing price action above swing points, I think?

Now, I want to be clear – I am not questioning the validity of the ‘trade-offs’. I’m fairly new to all this and think that you’re all doing a great job. But to help me learn, I’d like to understand how others see the trade-offs?

Im in the EUR/USD Trade. My TF is 1HR. What do you guys think? Im selling it.

I think you should change your TF to Daily and 4H and start trading on them…

Bt i dont have enough SL :frowning: bt ok i’ll try change to daily.

So what you mean is that the S/R isnt strong enough?

n i just got stop loss…

You can see more clearly S/R levels on biggest TF. That is the reason for change it. On 1H you have many fluctuations on price and you can confuse yourself. For example (EurUsd) - I would have waited for the euro to reach 1.30 and sell it with some BEEB or strong PB (On daily chart) or 1.2930 on 4H chart

1 Like

Howdy guys

Heads up, AUD/CHF 4H is currently in a lovely zone, old support acting as resistance with trend. Now for a lovely signal bar???

Cheers

I wait it too :wink:

Hallo Jackson,

In my earlier reply to you, i intimated that it’s best for you at this stage to operate off the Daily chart
PA on higher TFs is more reliable, and D1 will aslo enale to develop the eyeballing and patience needed for swing trading

With regards to your trade: i dont see any obvious PA you were trading off of
And are those pivots on ua chart? We dont use those, just support and resistance

To cap it off, and A+ cake is baked using the following ingredients:

1. Key horizontal S/Rlevel (the level is first and foremost)
  2. Large and obvious PA at said level and at correct swing point
  3. The PA should preferably be with the trend

With regards to SL: we do not pick a lot size arbitrarily, we base it on the size of the SL and our percantage or dollar risk
With a fixed risk (e.g 3pct per trade), the bigger the SL, the smaller the lotsize. So u can take a trade with any size of SL
Search the thread (or google) for position sizing calculator, you’ll see what that’s about

Cheers

Wow, thanks guys for the congrats and appreciations, warmly appreciated :slight_smile:

The other positions that I wait is NzdUsd,CadChf and GbpAud.
NzdUsd 4H chart

CadChf 4H chart

GbpAud 4H chart

The only thing that bothers me is traffic on CadChf.
I will be very happy to hear your comments.

Dudest, what we do now with AudChf :smiley:

Nothing, not a convincing close. Pass for me!

Congrats old mate! :slight_smile:

Thanks old friend :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Great honor, congrats Dudest

Thanks for the advise!

Here is a SGD/JPY pair that may be coming up. What do you guys think? Now ive switched it to the Daily and this pair looks like having a Gd Support to me :slight_smile:

Jack.C