Quant System (Improved Moving Avg System)

An Improved Moving Average Technical Trading Rule
Fotis Papailiasy & Dimitrios D. Thomakosz
This version: October 12, 2011

Abstract
This paper proposes a modied version of the widely used price and moving average cross-over trading
strategies. The suggested approach (presented in its long only' version1) is a combination of cross- over buy’ signals and a dynamic threshold value which acts as a dynamic trailing stop. The trading
behavior and performance from this modied strategy is dierent from the standard approach with
results showing that, on average, the proposed modication increases the cumulative return and the
Sharpe ratio of the investor while exhibiting smaller maximum drawdown and smaller drawdown
duration than the standard strategy.

JEL Classication: C00; C10; C50; G00; G11; G14; G15; G17.
Keywords: Dow Jones; ETF; Exchange Rate; Moving average; Price cross-over; S&P500; Threshold;
Trailing stop; Technical analysis; Technical Trading; Trading strategies.

Moving avg improved rule 1.pdf (1.26 MB)

Let me know if you guys are interested in the second part

If your having a problem making sense of this system then just leave questions in the thread and ill get back to you :slight_smile:

The second paper can be downloaded here:

An Improved Moving Average Technical Trading Rule II - Can We Obtain Performance Improvements with Short Sales?

(My take): The simple MA crossover rules discussed in these two papers aren’t particularly quantitative in nature contrary to the thread title, but if someone is determined to follow plain old TA, then using a breakeven stop at entry (first paper) or SAR at entry may reduce drawdowns experienced from a traditional MA crossover system. But none of that is particularly quantitative in nature.

And to the OP: starting multiple threads in the same forum with misleading subjects isn’t cool. It is known as spamming.

To the traders reading this post: If the OP were actually here to help traders he would have posted the link I posted above, and explained the basics of the strategy (as I did) rather than trying to get people to contact him offline, and attempting to make himself appear to be a quant trader through the use of sockpuppeting while leaning on someone else’s work (the papers cited).

Good points. They pretty much express my feelings. The OP is either a wannabe or up to no good - don’t pay any attention to him.

Thanks for the summary. As they say, time is money, and I think most traders on Babywips weren’t willing to spend time dissecting an obscure academic paper from a stranger.

i am interested in this Quant analysis, i am currently using ARIMA method. have anyone used it?