Not-So-New 50 SMA Buy Sell with Fractals
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bigdog611 is offline Newbie

Default Not-So-New 50 SMA Buy Sell with Fractals

The setup

Start with the 4hr chart (move up to daily and weekly to look for opportunity)
    Fractals
    Bollinger Bands set the MA at 50

I dislike looking at candle charts, so I use bar charts and change the bars to green and red (bull and bear)

[B]Not-so-new[/B]

Buy when the price is above the 50 MA, and sell when the price is below the MA. When price is on the 50 MA, price action as well as some other stuff I learned from others will work.

The fractals

Add fractals to the chart and watch where they appear. The most successful fractals that I have seen, occur at a swing depending if the price is above or below the 50 MA. It seems that when the price swings away from the 50MA and fractal appears, the fractal tells you there might be an entry opportunity.

Time Frame

I trade mainly at the 4hr, but I also look at the daily and the weekly chart. The fractals will appear on these timeframes as well, and again I look for that price either below or above the 50 MA.

I do use S/R , the closer the better on the 4hour. Also the S/R needs to give the price some room to breath.

I have no real results, just a lousy track record doing everything else under the sun. This seems to be the most consistent for me.

I follow a number of threads and groups that mainly focus on price action. Price action seems to me to be legit. I will post charts to illustrate. I do work full time and will answer questions and post charts as frequent as I can.

Thanks Baby Pips for letting me post for the first time!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bigdog611; 10-05-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Another chart from this past weeks trading.

Name:  usdchfh4.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  28.3 KB

Another strategy I use on the daily is to enter on a fib retrace on the 1 hour. The fractal appears on the daily, I mark this with a vertical line. I then scale down to the hourly chart. I mark the nearest support and resistance depending on the trend on the daily. I insert my fib and look for the 50 level. I then look for price action to guide my entry and set my stop and profit target.

Name:  audusddaily.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  audusdh1.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  40.5 KB
    Last edited by bigdog611; 10-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.

I am looking at the USD/CHF to go short 1:1 or perhaps a little better. The fractal appears the price broke the 50 ma. The overall trend is down. The EUR/USD usually goes in the opposite direction. IF you look at the Eur/USD a fractal appear on the 4hr and the price is above the 50 MA. I also am looking at the CAD/JPY, maybe an opportunity at 0400 if a fractal appears. The trend is down on this one and there is some room to move to a nearby support. This is all on a demo account.
Views: 423
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  cadjpyh4.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  37.2 KB

The fractal appeared on the CAD/JPY I entered on the 4hour. Looking for about 1:1 R/R nearest support.

Views: 421
Size:  37.0 KB

The price target for the USD/CHF hit for a little better than 1:1 almost 1:2. I set my profit target on he nearest suport. The CAD/JPY target 1:1 was hit. I set my profit target for the nearest support. I traded a .50 lot for each
    USD/CHF: $183.77 CAD/JPY: $221.90

Views: 413
Size:  35.9 KB

Views: 417
Size:  35.4 KB

Looking at my charts. I want to point out the trades that meet the fractal and MA criteria, but have support and resistance surrounding them giving them no breathing room to move. Take a look at the EUR/USD and USD/CHF. Both have the fractals on the 4hr both have price either above or below the MA, but there is a great deal of support to enter short on the USD/CHF and too much resistance to enter long on the EUR/USD. Name:  usdchfh4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  eurusdh4.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  38.1 KB

The trade that I am waiting for a set-up is the GPS/USD. The price is under the 50MA price is retracing towards the 50MA. A nice price action entry such as a pin bar would be great to see. A fractal to enter would work as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A fractal appeared on the 16:00 bar that is my cue to enter either short or long depending on the price being above or below the 50 MA. In this case the next bar 20:00 breaks through above the 50 MA. I entered on the 00:00 open, took the nearest resistance which was the 20:00 bar high. It was a short lived about a 1:1 R/R. $134.16 profit on demo.

Name:  usdjpyh4.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  30.7 KB

I decided to go long the EUR/USD based on the daily trend and the fractal that appeared. I also shorted the NZD/USD based on the fractal that appeared on the 4hr. and the lower highs of the price. I think this trade goes against my better judgement.Name:  eurusddaily.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  37.8 KBName:  nzdusdh4.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  42.4 KB

Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast