Profiting from trading rebates and IRP trading systems… including results!

I realise this is a bold title for a thread given that this is my first post but I’ve been a silent participator in trading forums for a number of years now, in addition to having being involved in the trading game as an independent trader, a commercial broker and an introducing broker (although not all at the same time!). For a number of reasons, now feels like the right time to start contributing to a couple of my favourite forums in the hope I might be able to bring something constructive to the party.

With a goal in this first post of keeping as much transparency as possible without wasting too much time building unnecessary suspense, I’ll outline that I have to two aims for this thread:

1. To draw attention to the significantly positive impact that claiming trading rebates can have on your trading balance.
  2. To encourage discussion about a sound method of trading I term ‘IRP trading’, shortened from ‘intraday-retracement-pattern trading’ or ‘intraday-range-pattern trading’, whichever you prefer.

Now, before I get to the “including results!” part in the thread title (which, admittedly, was thrown in as a bit of a hook), I want to make clear that I will likely refer back to blog posts or general information on my own trading website in order to supplement shorter posts on here. This trading website does indeed provide a rebate service that lists in excess of twenty brokers but it’s important to get across that I am absolutely not posting here in order to try to sell something down the line. If you do visit the website and take advantage of any of the free rebate offers then that’s great but if it isn’t for you then that’s fine and I wish you the best. All I ask, ever hopeful, is that if this thread does get some traction then we can keep it constructively civil for the sake of those who are interested.

Ok, let’s move on to IRP trading. The overall concept here isn’t by any means a new concept but rather a method of trading that I personally love and that is surprisingly lucrative if traded properly, yet I haven’t come across too much in depth discussion about it. The method generally avoids trading during the height of the European and US sessions but rather focuses primarily on trading the ‘chop’ around the open and close of markets, in addition to trading the overnight consolidation, by simply trading around a moving average.

As this post is already starting to get a bit long, it’s probably about time I backed this all up with some stats, so I’ll sign off for now by taking an excerpt from [B]‘The PloChop System’[/B], a piece I’ve recently posted on my blog [B](the full article elaborates the thought process, the financial implications and includes seven years of results)[/B]:

[B]Rules of the PloChop system[/B]

1. Open a 15 minute EURUSD chart and apply a set of standard Bollinger Bands (Bands Period = 20, Bands Shift = 0, Bands Deviation = 2.0).

2. Only open a trade at (UK time) 06:00, 06:15, 06:30, 06:45, 07:00, 07:15, 07:30 or 07:45. Do not open at 08:00, when the London market opens. Please note that most MT4 charts are on Cyprus time so, if you are using such charts, the corresponding time range for opening trades is between 08:00 and 09:45.

3. Only open a short (sell) trade once there has been a bullish close outside the upper band, followed by a bearish candlestick. You open once the first bearish candlestick is completed, except where the candlestick has touched the 20SMA. If the first completed bearish candlestick touches the 20SMA, the set-up is cancelled and you wait for another bullish close outside the upper band to start the process over again.

4. Only open a long (buy) trade once there has been a bearish close outside the lower band, followed by a bullish candlestick. You open once the first bullish candlestick is completed, except where the candlestick has touched the 20SMA. If the first completed bullish candlestick touches the 20SMA, the set-up is cancelled and you wait for another bearish close outside the lower band to start the process over again.

5. Set a standard stop loss of 20 pips (or points) for each trade. Please note that sizes of stop losses are crucially important to the outcome of overall end results and you should make them your own. We’re using set stop losses at 20 pips here for the purpose of results.

6. Only close a trade once the price has closed back across the 20SMA (unless you get stopped out first, of course).

7. Multiple entries in the same session are applied, except when a trade is stopped out. Sit out for the remainder of the session if a trade is stopped out. It is very rare for more than one entry to trigger per session.

*The charts above are GMT+2, therefore the London open is at 10:00 rather than 08:00.

[B]The Results [/B]

As it is March 2015 at the time of writing, I’m going to list a set of full ‘pip’ profit (or loss) results from the PloChop system for EURUSD in January and February of this year. Results might vary slightly from one platform to another but, if you check for yourself on your own preferred trading platform (and you should take the time to do so), I’m confident there will be minimal difference. All results factor in a [B]‘1 pip[/B]’ standard spread charge.

January

Date / Result

2nd: +11.1
5th: +11.3
6th: +13.2
7th: +11.2
8th: -20.0
9th: +6.9
12th: +3.0
15th: +13.6
19th: +10.9
20th: +2.7
21st: +13.5
22nd: +22.8
26th: -20.0
27th: +11.1
28th: +23.3
29th: +23.2
30th: +12.8

February

Date / Result

2nd: +11.7
4th: +14.5
6th: +5.5
9th: +2.1
10th: -20.0
18th: +18.0
20th: -20.0
24th: +6.2
25th: -20.0

[U]Total pip profit (or loss) for January and February = [B]+148.6[/B][/U]

Cheers for now,

Alasdair

Alas, the image of the charts to illustrate various entries and exits (Attachment 72597) doesn’t appear to have come through in the previous post.

The full article can be found in the ‘Blog’ section on TraderRebate.com.

On a side note, the PloChop system generated another +21.6 pips profit from EURUSD this morning!

All the best for the week ahead.

I view the FX market as having two separate sessions:

1. A [B]day session[/B] running between 8am and 8pm UK time (or 10:00 and 22:00 on your typical MT4 chart).
  2. An [B]overnight session[/B] running between 8pm and 8am UK time (or 22:00 and 10:00 on your typical MT4 chart).

Looking at last night’s overnight session, you can see how the same rules that apply to the PloChop trading system can work well if applied throughout the overnight session. The overnight session isn’t particularly exciting, of course, but boring is beautiful in this game.

I put together some AU, EU, GU and UJ charts from last night that highlight entries and exits, however I can’t seem to be able to post them here (have tried inserting images, uploading attachments within limits and taking screenshots - any other ideas appreciated). Anyway, the results are below with spread charges factored in (1 pip for AU, EU, UJ and 2 pips for GU):

[B]AU profit = +0.9 pips.[/B]

[B]EU profit = +13.6 pips.[/B]

[B]GU profit = +3.6 pips.[/B]

[B]UJ profit = +12.1 pips.[/B]

Another [B]+15.7 pips profit[/B] for trading EURUSD this morning during the PloChop session…

Take a look at the 15 minute chart:

1. Buy entry triggered at 6.15am (GMT) at 1.05859 after a completed bullish candlestick below the 20SMA following a bearish close outside the lower band. Stop 20 points below entry.
  2. Sell exit triggered at 7.45am (GMT) at 1.06026 after price closed above the 20SMA.
  3. Accounting for a 1 pip spread: profit = 16.7 - 1 = [B]+15.7 pips[/B].

PloChop EURUSD results 2015 YTD (accounting for 1 pip spread charge per trade and 20% rebate):

Profit on trades: +173.8 pips
Number of trades: 34
Rebate on trades = 34 * 0.2 = +6.8 pips
Total profit = 173.8 + 6.8 = [B]+180.6 pips[/B]

[B]+15.6 pips profit[/B] for trading EURUSD this morning during the PloChop session…

From the 15 minute chart:

1. Buy entry triggered at 7.30am (GMT) at 1.06670 after a completed bullish candlestick below the 20SMA following a bearish close outside the lower band. Stop 20 points below entry.
  2. Sell exit triggered at 7.45am (GMT) at 1.06836 after price closed above the 20SMA.
  3. Accounting for a 1 pip spread: profit = 16.6 - 1 = [B]+15.6 pips[/B].

What to look out for with forex IRP trading:

1. Opportunity to trade a particular currency’s range when its applicable stock market opens, usually by using Bollinger Bands over a two hour period.
  2. Opportunity to trade a particular currency’s retracement back to a moving average when its applicable stock market closes.

It looks like there are viewers but nobody is biting for discussion…

Am I the only one with a taste for IRP trading with rebates?

Am I at a PloChop party for one?

All the best to everyone for the trading week ahead.

For the time being, I’ll keep dancing on my own.

Hi TR

I went to a website to find out more about the plochop system, but I only found a site selling SPREAD cashbacks, did i go to the wrong site ?
Also a graphical demonstartion of the method would help me understand more

cheers

Hi b0bpip,

Thanks for the reply!

The website where I keep my blog does indeed provide a free rebate service so you were probably in the right place. The recent blog posts are at the bottom left of the homepage. As I was new to posting on BabyPips in my first post, unfortunately I wasn’t able to post a direct link to the PloChop post on the TR website itself so that’s part of the reason I mentioned the rebate service in the (admittedly, long-winded) first post so there wasn’t any hidden agenda. I’ve also experienced some issues, for one reason or another, uploading images to this thread.

Anyway… the good news is that since I’ve now reached the 5 post quota, I’m able to post links so you can find the full piece on the PloChop trading system (which includes charts) at:

The PloChop Trading System

This is just one way to trade IRP with rebates at one time of the day so if you have any questions or other ideas for trading like this then I’m happy to hear them!

I’ll probably make a short PloChop video and post it here as it’ll make it a little easier to illustrate.

Cheers for now,

Alasdair

Thanks for the update

Seems similar to a few systems, would you be automating this in the future?

B0b

Hi B0b,

You’re welcome.

Yes, by no means is this a new concept in general. It’s just my take on how to use bands really. I see the time of day as an optimal filter for trading ranges using bands across various products, rather than loading charts with additional indicators. I’m not a huge fan of most overbought/oversold indicators in particular, which are often applied as filters in cases like this.

Anyway, EURUSD PloChop alone currently stands at [B]+218.5 pips[/B] this year.

I don’t personally have any plans to automate this but, of course, anyone else is welcome to.

All the best,

Alasdair

first thank you for sharing your system; I have been backtesting it and it seems quite profitable. I have to ask, do you happen to know the percentage of accuracy of your system? Thanks.

Hi 4ht,

You’re welcome and all the best if you have a go with the system.

I’ve just filtered the 2014 results for EURUSD PloChop (using a 1 point spread and a 20 point stop):

There were 147 days when trades were triggered.

Of these 147 days, 101 days were winners and 46 were losers.

I make that a 68.7% win ratio for trading days (if that’s what you’re looking for).

There were 7 days when 2 trades were triggered (rather than just the 1 trade). Stake size was kept the same for both trades on these days.

Personally I see a 65% to 70% win ratio as a good target for trading ranges intraday so this fits fairly well.

Cheers,

Alasdair

Have you tested this on others currency with same time ?

I have some fairly sporadic data for other currency pairs during the same time period but nothing as thorough as EURUSD that would provide enough confidence to live trade these other pairs. I’d say EUR is the currency to look at during this period. Both GBPUSD and EURGBP provided mixed results if I remember rightly. Just having a quick look at EURJPY now, it looks like this pair behaves fairly similarly to EU and has potential but might need a wider stop because of the volatilty and the larger spread size. Similarly, EURCHF looks like a goer over the last couple of months but backtestng is an issue for the (lengthy) time that the 1.20 floor was in action. Some pairs are better than others at various times of the day but, of course, it would be handy if a number of pairs worked during the ‘PloChop’ because you could be in and out before breakfast (in the UK at least)!

I have recently started looking at the possibility of trading Europen Indices in a similar fashion for the 2 hour period after their respective opens (when it seems they can often retrace from a band to the 20SMA, before committing to a move one way or the other for the day) but I don’t have anything concrete and I’m a bit short of time at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alasdair

yes this is what I was looking for. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Better late than never, here is The PloChop Trading System on video.

All the best,

Alasdair

a good system but maybe it lasted just 2 months. Where are you @TraderRebate??

Hello - I’d completely forgotten I’d posted here! I’ve been trading variations of this method for years for a living - my tip would be to look at 5 minute charts between 8pm and 8am GMT.

Wow. Hello @TraderRebate . Have you any trading journal or FXbook? If you have spare time and are willing can you give some more examples of the variations of the system. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Alas, it looks like my period of inactivity here has ended up with restrictions to my posting privileges! Is there an option to PM links? :man_shrugging: