How to successfully swing trade the markets? (HAS Method)

Before I continue, all indicators are not mine. I never created them, and I never created “MTF HAS method” or “MTF HAS indicators”. I am not the author of the original method, all credits to the original owner of the method, and indicators.

Now let us start,

I have always wondered how to pickup big moves in the market, until I found this indicator. So I am going to share how I use it, and how can you set it to your personality, and increase your profit.

Let me tell you why I think swing trading is more practical than intra-day, short-term and scalping.

Alright! Swing trading; while it may be using big stops, it is safer than hourly / intra-day trading for couple reasons in my view.

(a) increased profit and ability to ride big moves / trends
(b) trading with the trend always (even if I do a mistake, the market will correct it)
© less time viewing of charts and i do not have to monitor charts every hour
(d) i believe that anything less than 4-hr timeframe is a “joke”… too choppy
(e) i can’t deny though that 1-hr charts are perfect for exits / re-enetering

So think of it this way first. What do we need to make big pips?
We need to ride big moves in the direction of the trend and secure as many pips as we can from that move.

This is going to be long, so we need to arrange stuff.

You need a MetaTrader platform and I recommend NF demo platform for analysis only.

Installation

1. Download the attached .zip file
  2. Extract the .zip file
  3. Move SwingTrade template to metatrader_dir/templates
  4. Move 4 TF HAS BAR.mq4, Heikin_Ashi_Smoothed.mq4 to metatrader_dir/experts/indicators/
  5. Open a new chart and select SwingTrade template.

You should see something like this (attached).

If you want to have your unique template (MANUAL INSTALLATION)
Just copy the two indicatos and add them to your chart.

MTF HAS BAR
This is the primary indicator. It will show you the trend in 4-consecutive timeframes starting from bottom to top.

Example: If you are opening 4hr chart. It will show you H4-D1-W1-MN1 trends in order from bottom to top.

Blue means bullish. Red means bearish. (Obviously)

SETTINGS
make sure that settings are 2, 6, 3, 2 in order

Heikin_Ashi_Smoothed.mq4
A smoothed Heikin Ashi. This will be presented as candles on your chart windows. Just within your bar/candlestick. They take many shapes;

Long-legged, small body (slightly directional)
Short-legged, big body (strong direction)
No-leg (very strong direction)
Blue = bullish
Red = bearish

SETTINGS
make sure that settings are 2, 6, 3, 2 in order

What did we do?
1. Decided to swing trade markets
2. Installed the required 2 indicators, settings are set to 2,6,3,2

We will always depend on the primary MTF HAS which shows trend for four time frames. However, the Heikin_Ashi_Smoothed candles are still important… and they should stay in your chart window.

In next post, I will explain how I trade the market with these two indicators.

HAS_files.zip (4.54 KB)

Because, I believe that a picture can explain thousand words, I will post charts with explainations on our newly set strategy.

Now let us look a little deeper in the indicator (MTF HAS BARS). Which contains of blue / red boxes. and let us put this as a headline:

The more timeframes that agree, the more probability this signal is valid / trend is strong.

Example
If we are watching 4-hr chart. If h4, d1, w1, mn1 are all bullish, it’s a strong uptrend and vice versa.

You know even when three timeframes agree, it’s likely to be good trade too. You will even find chances when 2 timeframes only agree. (more risky trade)

So how do ENTER or EXIT the market using this?!

Our main goal is to enter new moves in the trend, so we should wait the first timeframe changing color in agreement with main trend.

Let us say D1-W1-MN1 are bearish, but H4 is bullish…once H4 turns red (on the close of the first candle that closes red, we enter out short position)

This is the kind of method that needs practice, a lot of back watching, and a lot of discussion that can’t be put together in one post. So please ask…

STOPS
Always open 3 or 4 parts (one position but divided into parts) Why? To lock up profit as the move goes with you. This is very important task. Stops are very challenging, and you can miss out good moves without using some sort of strategy.

It depends on the pair too, the targets can be calculated on ATR. or based on your own experience, 30 pip increment, 50 pip increment, it’s up to you.

Please go forward and see how MTF HAS has been… sometimes the daily candle is just changing colors. But entering on daily signal needs a huge stop. So wise step could be using 1-hr to exit in the proper time.

For more agressive traders, or traders who have much more time. You can use H1-H4-D1-W1 instead of H4-D1-W1-MN1 look, it’s about the same. especially that H1 is good for exit / re-entering, but h1 is choppier. so its also up to you. I do not have time to monitor 1hr chart around the clock.

You can even use D1-W1-MN1 alone for long-term trading. It is up to you as long as you ride the main trend.

Recent example from EURCHF H4 Chart

This is a very recent example from EURCHF on the 4-hour chart @ 1.6730
The entry is valid because D1-W1-MN1 are all blue (bullish)

Go one timeframe forward and look at D1-W1-MN1
Interesting! D1- just turned blue from red and candle closed in bullish status. Might be early signal of strong acceleration behind us. Although at the beginning the candle is only a leg, no body, more evidence if we got a big body candle after that day.

So according to rules, you are up by 20 pips almost on such trade. and you have a few parts open. You should try to secure 50+ and let others run.

I also suggest risking no more than 1% of your total available units/cash per trade itself. So divide that 1% into 3 or 4.

I also suggest trading many pairs. After you secure 50+…you know the market can be tricky, you will see retraces within the move…it can even go below your entry again. Stoploss is challenging. Sometimes an entry can give you 1000+ pips but you also do not want to lose many pips. So If you secured 50+… move the second part of your position to +10 or +15. If they are hit. Move stop to something like -20 so that you do not lose anything on this trade.

Anyway, you have to rest assured that some trading signals when taken probably can net you thousand pips at once. So you have to be disciplined and follow all moves in the direction of the trend. You can get there :slight_smile:
Well, you can even use 1hr as an early indication of warning. You can use it to exit part of your trade or add to your position.

Hi Topchess,

Can we assume the signals in your thread “Intra-day and trade ideas on Pound/Yen” are from this system?

Hey TopChess.

Quick question. Whats the reasoning for the HA candles? Unless I miss something, its seems the signals come straight from the MTF HAS Bars.

Also, when I load your indicators and template, the MTF HAS on every chart shows all red (bearish) on all pairs even where the trend is clearly up?

AH

shandy, ofcourse not!

The MTF BARS indicators had a history causing some platform issues. So I suggest to add manually the Heikin_Ashi_Smoothed.mq4 alone. But this way, you will manually switch timeframes back and forward to see the trend.

The MTF BARS indicator (inside chart) is the same! But it saves time as it gives you instant view for 4-consecutive trends.

This is the indicator you need. Simply, if the above instructions cause problems in your platform, just download and use the indicator inside the attached zip file.

How to enter?

Usually, trend is bullish if all or 3 timeframes have blue body. I refer to 4h, d, w, month charts. (The best trend following tf’s, because less than 4h is very choppy and can lead to several fakeouts.)

I do not believe that trading systems have to be complicated and you got to wait for 5 indicators at least to line up to enter a trade.

Actually, the only difference is that you will have to switch manually between 4h, d, w, mn to view the trend status.

But from experience, this indicator is enough if you have the required patience and discipline to trade markets.

Exit / Stops

Please refer to the above post about dividing your position. Make sure you leave one part at least that run until the end of the move.

Smoothed_HA.zip (1.1 KB)

To Topchess :

It should be noted that there are nasty bits of spam mail appearing above your images. These are obviously not your doing but viewers should note not to reply to these spam mails.

I got a message there saying that I was the 10,000th visitor and had received a lotto prize of some $2000 - just fill in my name, address, email address and other details.

These details are used for identity theft and the culprits will use this information to steal money from your bank account as well as other things.

[B]In no way should anyone reply to this spam.[/B]

I am in no way involved in that, I just used ImageShack to upload images since babypips allows a maximum resolution that is not suitable for best view.

hi topchess, when i opened swing trade tpl I got a candle stick chart and the 4 lines of stoc bars all solid on bottom. Did I mess up on something? thanks gene. btw, how do i get the url of my chart as called for by the image icon in the message box. I’d like to show you what i got.

Hi TopChess,

I like the way that the indicator shows the trend for 4 timeframes all one one chart. However you haven’t said much about the rules for when to take profit. In my following discussion, I’ll use the strategy of working from the 1hr chart (but the ideas I am putting forward also seem to apply to trading off the 4hr chart):

On first glance, it would appear that the opening price (described by you as the close of the first candle when all 4 timeframes have matching trends) misses out on some of the move. Then if we simply close when the 1hr trend ceases to match up to the other timeframe’s trends, we also close after much retracing has taken place.

Does this mean that the net gain can often be small and certainly not as impressive as the Heiken Ashi makes it look.

Then considering the effect of any fake entry signals, such as a brief trade that lasts only for 2 candles or so before the 1hr trend quickly goes against us. If we exit as soon as the 1hr goes against us, we find that the pip deficits created by the entry and late exit candles can equate to a substantial loss, perhaps as big as the actual gains tha twe would make over some of the long running winning trades.

However, having said that, this is just my first glance and I don’t want to come across too sceptical. I suppose I am just looking for your views how to exit without suffering too much of a retrace. I guess one could use all the usual techniques, Fibonacchi, IB candles, trendlines, support and resistance levels etc… but I just wondered if you are using something more simple.

To what extent have you tested this trading strategy - I presume that you have found it to be pip-positive, or is this thread an early stage discussion of a possible strategy that is still being developed?

Thanks for posting an interesting looking system, kind regards,

Pipalot :slight_smile:

To Topchess :

It should be noted that there are nasty bits of spam mail appearing above your images. These are obviously not your doing

I am in no way involved in that

Yes, I know that you are not involved in that - and I would like every reader to know that you are not involved in the spam.

Its just a pity that this spam appears above the pictures in your very excellent thread - a thread that is a pleasure to read.

Image shack should get its act together and stop this spam stuff appearing.

Hi TopChess,

Hi ! :slight_smile:

I like the way that the indicator shows the trend for 4 timeframes all one one chart. However you haven’t said much about the rules for when to take profit. In my following discussion, I’ll use the strategy of working from the 1hr chart (but the ideas I am putting forward also seem to apply to trading off the 4hr chart):

Taking profit can be a percent of ATR, while you open your position as 3/4/5 parts and close one by one to lock in profit. This decreases profit but ensures you lock in profit.

So I suggest that you add ATR. and I am preparing a long article regarding take profit levels with this method.

On first glance, it would appear that the opening price (described by you as the close of the first candle when all 4 timeframes have matching trends) misses out on some of the move. Then if we simply close when the 1hr trend ceases to match up to the other timeframe’s trends, we also close after much retracing has taken place.

Please look at the following eurchf chart, yes a patient trader will wait until the first candle changing colors to match the other trends will miss some of the move. But he will still look in potentially a lot of pips (as the trade is considered more than short-term move, and not suitable for intra-day actions)

Does this mean that the net gain can often be small and certainly not as impressive as the Heiken Ashi makes it look.

I’ve tested this a lot, and so far I am impressed with the net gain. Because I feel good riding on the bigger trend D1/W1/Mn1. and even If I made a mistake, I could correct it. I will try to post as many examples as I could… the net gain will vary, it can be small, and sometimes it can be huge, even times it can be fake at all. But the point is; proper money management, position management, and right stops/exits.

Then considering the effect of any fake entry signals, such as a brief trade that lasts only for 2 candles or so before the 1hr trend quickly goes against us. If we exit as soon as the 1hr goes against us, we find that the pip deficits created by the entry and late exit candles can equate to a substantial loss, perhaps as big as the actual gains tha twe would make over some of the long running winning trades.

I am still thinking whether 1hr is useful at all, so I need your support to decide this. I am still doing testing to see how 1HR affects the trend. Remember, 1hr represents intraday action way more and is too choppy. This explains you can enter on 4H and quickly H1 turns red. You exit! then it goes your way again in acceptance with bigger trend.

For now, avoid 1HR. and only use H4, D1,W1, Mn1, with stops.

The net gain in long run should be a lot larger, because you will be able to catch couple of 500-1000 pip moves in bigger trends. So for now, I advice that you just ignore any signal below 4HR as It’s not a real trend. Even sometimes 4H may be fake trend, but I will respond to this. Believe me, I am contributing to write a small e-book that will cover all these problems regarding stop levels, and how to exit your trade, and how to use ATR in your position.

However, having said that, this is just my first glance and I don’t want to come across too sceptical. I suppose I am just looking for your views how to exit without suffering too much of a retrace. I guess one could use all the usual techniques, Fibonacchi, IB candles, trendlines, support and resistance levels etc… but I just wondered if you are using something more simple.

Believe me, I do not use anything beside this indicator. Simply, I do not have much time to study charts that much and implement patterns, trendlines, etc. They are perfect, but I like things to be really simple. You are right cause when you exit, you do not exit from the top or the bottom of the move. By the time H4 reverses, you can miss a great retracement, but you can set this off, how?

*Always use like 4/5 parts in your position
*Look at the ATR in 4HR. and take profit on one part if price moved 70% of ATR in your way for example. After closing the first 4 parts, you should leave the last 5 to ride with the move, sometimes after this retracement, it is not an exit. The rally continues later. So you can simply let it ride free with the overall trend or move its stop to BE and forget about it.

I will tell you, pairs known for trending always do this. Retrace, gain momentum then rally again. So you will still have a chance the big move.

More agressive trader can just open the position as one part and let it ride for percent of ATR betting on success rate thats higher than failure rate. but I do not recommend this action.

Placing stoploss is the main challenge here, and I am preparing a small e-book that covers this as well. and this will be published soon enough. (Just have a flu this wekk… :D)

To what extent have you tested this trading strategy - I presume that you have found it to be pip-positive, or is this thread an early stage discussion of a possible strategy that is still being developed?

It’s pip positive, and I am using it for 2 months (still demo until I test about 4-6 months). I seriously think that I should not use anything more than this indicator plus ATR to figure currency movement, but it’s your personal choice if you want to add indicators / trendlines, etc. I just want to keep it as simple as It can be. It is not 100% method, but the profits in long run with discipline and following every trend can yield much more.

Finally, I want to say that I am preparing an entry/exit strategy soon and how to entirely avoid losses.

But I ask people to be patient as I am hit with a tough flu this week and its causing my eye some infection and I can’t properly use my eyes at this time. :slight_smile:

**Suggestion: get rid of 4 MTF HAS BARS and depend on The HAS candles only, because the first proved to cause some crashes in some MT platforms. It’s the same, but you will manually go through charts to find the actual trend. Means just more minutes from your precious time.

Hi Topchess,

Thanks for your reply and I hope you are feeling much better soon.

Regards,

I have entered a EURJPY long trade on the daily setup turning bullish, weekly, monthly are bullish.

ATR is 150, I have taken EURJPY from earlier dips and still leaving 2 parts open.
Target set @ 166, next 166.75

The stop should be wide because it’s a daily chart. But in this scenario buying dips would offset the pressure.

GBPJPY is also preparing a bullish setup that will be confirmed tonight.

Hi Topchess,

When did you enter on the Eur/Jpy (please state with reference to GMT).

I can’t see a setup for Gbp/Jyp coming up? Daily and weekly timeframes are still red bearish?

Kind regards,

My entry is the daily candle open normally, btw-- I want to tell you that different brokers can cause problems giving mixed signals, for me gbpjpy daily smoothed candle is blue and if it closed blue, i will probably long.

I entered on 165.33 daily open for eurjpy.

I use northfinance demo, and the close is 5pm est.