The Trending Range Trading System

I am working on a system based on very limited losses (and probably fewer trading opportunities). I will share the theory with you and keep this updated to let you know how I get on.

The premise is simple and based on my available time to actually trade. I cannot be watching charts all day every day. I have a day job (European time) so have tended to jump in and make a trade based on the market I see in front of me at that time or around data releases rather than looking for the right times/price levels to trade.

I do have time to look at price levels in the mornings/evenings and weekends. The premise is as follows.

Step 1 - Look at the overall trend of various currency pairs on 4 hour, daily and weekly charts. Probably the main 4 pairs plus EUR/GBP and AUD/JPY. Maybe EUR/CHF to test the theory in a consistently ranging pair too.

Step 2 - Draw the price channels on these charts with parallel lines

Step 3 - Cross reference these prices with fibo levels on these timeframes and support/resistance. Apply the same to the shorter timeframe charts. Look for the price entry points to buy/sell at retracement end areas where the trend recommences.

Step 4 - Verify the entry points by ensuring they are at the ends of the channels in various timeframes. Use indicators MACD/Stoch, 5 & 10MA crossover as per the cowabunga system to verify the short timeframe entry points;

Step 5 - Position should normally re-enter the channel so use fairly close stop loss. Once position has moved close to the centre of the channel, bring stop loss in to breakeven. Take 50% profit in centre of channel then leave remaining position open to aim for a final TP close to bottom of channel (define target using fibo extension levels).

Step 6 - Also look for first time movements outside of the channel and against the trend as market invariably aims to return to normality. Take 100% profits on these as soon as a reasonable target is met. Smaller position size.

This is where the fun part begins… I will be marking push alerts at certain prices to alert me to a potential entry point. This will trigger me to look at the charts and see if everything is as expected and then enter the trade (or not) from there.

I am no expert trader so would appreciate any pointers or advice anyone can give. I will begin trading this system and post results (and modifications) as I go.

1 Like

Nice approach FootPips! My suggestion is just not trade when there are significant news and be careful when you don’t monitor the trade.

HyFootPipbs, how are you doing with your trading system? I will start one swing trading with range Trending market too. Lets Trade some data =)

A good range trading strategy is important when markets are not trending. … type of success will be short lived regardless of the merits of your trading system.