Different order types, why would you need them?

Maybe I’m missing something, but when I read about the different order types, they didn’t make any sense to me:

• Stop-Entry Order - So, once the price hits a certain new low/high, you sell/buy. Why not just put in a Limit Entry Order in the first place? You think the price will go there in the first place, so what’s the point of waiting?

• Stop-Loss Order - Seems like a thing that you’ll be likely to forget :slight_smile: . I’d just put in Limit Entry Order, tell to go short once the price hits a certain high and do the same if the price goes below a certain low.

• Trailing Stop - Ok, I read the explanation and just didn’t understand any of what was going on :slight_smile: .

Someone please move my thread to the Newbie Island, it’s more appropriate there.

There are only three basic order types: Market Orders, Stop Orders and Limit Orders. Every other order type which you may encounter is developed from these basic order types. A Stop-Loss Order, for example, is simply a Stop Order applied to a particular purpose.

There is a whole menu of complex order types out there; but, every one of them falls into one of the following categories:

• Combinations of basic order types (for example, Stop-Limit Orders)

• Derivatives of basic order types (a Stop-Loss Order is a Stop Order, named so as to identify its special function; and a Trailing Stop is a derivative form of Stop-Loss Order)

• Alternate terminology adopted by various brokers (for example, FXCM uses the term Entry Order, but MBTrading does not; an Entry Order is nothing more than FXCM’s term for either a Stop Order, or a Limit Order, used to ENTER a trade)

If you learn everything you need to know about the three basic order types, learning the complex order types will be easy. Here are the main things you need to know about the basic order types:

• Market Order. This order tells your broker to execute (buy or sell, as the case may be) your order as soon as he receives it, at the current market price, without other conditions or stipulations. Because of the liquidity of the forex market, it is virtually guaranteed that your market order will be executed immediately; the price at which it is executed is NOT guaranteed. A Market Order is the simplest type of order.

• Stop Order. This order tells your broker to buy (or sell) at a specified price which is different from the current market price. A Stop Order will take one of two forms:

(a) Buy Stop Order - placed ABOVE the current market price, and used to either enter a long position, or exit a short position (in which case it is a Stop-Loss Order)

(b) Sell Stop Order - placed BELOW the current market price, and used to either enter a short position, or exit a long position (in which case it is a Stop-Loss Order)

There is no guarantee that a Stop Order will be executed; but, if it is executed, you have a reasonable expectation that it will be executed at the price you have specified, plus or minus “slippage”.

• Limit Order. This order tells your broker to buy (or sell) at a specified price which is different from the current market price, OR BETTER (meaning HIGHER if you are selling, or LOWER if you are buying). A Limit Order will take one of two forms:

(a) Buy Limit Order - placed BELOW the current market price, and used to either enter a long position, or exit a short position (in which case it is a Take-Profit Order)

(b) Sell Limit Order - placed ABOVE the current market price, and used to either enter a short position, or exit a long position (in which case it is a Take-Profit Order)

There is no quarantee that a Limit Order will be filled; but, if it is filled, you have a reasonable expectation that it will be filled at the price you have specified, or better.

Notice that a Buy Stop Order used to exit a short position is, by definition, a Stop-Loss Order; and a Sell Stop Order used to exit a long position is, by definition, a Stop-Loss Order. This probably explains where the term “stop-loss” came from. Many traders prefer the term “protective stop” instead of “stop-loss”; it’s more accurate, in one sense, because it includes the idea of protecting a portion of your profit, as well as protecting you from a worsening loss.

Notice also that a Take-Profit Order is either a Buy Limit Order or a Sell Limit Order, depending on whether you are long or short — which explains why traders typically refer to a Take-Profit Order simply as a limit.

If the description of Stop Orders and Limit Orders given above seems complicated — well, it is. Especially the requirement that Buy Stop and Sell Limit orders be placed ABOVE the current price, and that Sell Stop and Buy Limit orders be placed BELOW the current price. This is a concept you should study, until you thoroughly understand it. You simply need to make it part of your basic forex knowledge — like knowing that you buy at the ASK price, and you sell at the BID price. Until those things are made permanent in your mind, you’ll be confused and frustrated.

Here’s a table that I made and posted to another forum several years ago, which shows graphically what we have been talking about:

Suppose the current price of a particular currency pair is 1.5000. The table shows:

• 5 types of orders — buy limit, buy stop, sell limit, sell stop, and market order

• whether each order type would be placed above, at, or below the current price, and

• what function each order type would perform

Finally, maybe this post — http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/38331-what-order-type-use.html#post248252 — will shed some further light on this subject for you.

I hope that helps you.

Keep in mind these are conditional orders. It’s not “I think the market is going to do this and when it does I want to …”. It’s “If the market goes there I want to …”. As in, “If the market reaches 100 I’ll take profits”, or “If the markets reaches 10 the trade probably isn’t going to work, so I’ll get out”, of “If the market reachs 1.5 it will have broken through key resistance, signaling a probable uptrend, so I want to get long”, etc…

I know I should know this (just making sure I have the vernaculat down), but what’s long and short again?

And if I buy USD/EUR, I’m buying euros and selling dollars, right?

Clint, looks like a great post, I’m still digesting it :slight_smile:

LONG is what we [I]casually[/I] call “buying”, and SHORT is what we [I]casually[/I] call “selling”.

I put “buying” and “selling” in quotes because in the forex market we never actually buy or sell anything. However, for now, you can think of it as buying and selling. Later, when you’re a little further along the learning curve, you should get acquainted with the concept of taking a LONG or SHORT speculative position in a currency pair, [I]without[/I] buying or selling either currency.

First of all, there is no [I]USD/EUR[/I] currency pair in forex trading. The pair is [B]EUR/USD.[/B] Always. No exceptions.

Continuing with the “buying” and “selling” terminology, if you take a LONG position (buy) a currency pair, your position [I]resembles[/I] buying the base currency, and selling the cross currency.

In the case of the EUR/USD, if you “buy” that pair, it’s sort of like “buying” euros and “selling” dollars.

But, understand, you are not actually buying or selling anything. There is no ownership of any currency (except the currency in your account). It’s not at all like the stock market, where you buy shares of stock, and actually own them, until you sell them. The forex market is a cash-settled market, in which your positions, LONG or SHORT, are similar to [I]bets[/I] placed on the direction of price movements. But, don’t worry about that, right now.

Apparently, you have not gone through the [B]Babypips School.[/B] Or, if you have, you need to do it again.

Go to the top of this page (or any page in this forum) and click on [B]School.[/B] Start at the beginning, and make sure you have mastered each lesson, before you move on the next one.

Thanks. That was helpful.

First of all, there is no USD/EUR currency pair in forex trading. The pair is EUR/USD. Always. No exceptions.

Continuing with the “buying” and “selling” terminology, if you take a LONG position (buy) a currency pair, your position resembles buying the base currency, and selling the cross currency.

In the case of the EUR/USD, if you “buy” that pair, it’s sort of like “buying” euros and “selling” dollars.

But, understand, you are not actually buying or selling anything. There is no ownership of any currency (except the currency in your account). It’s not at all like the stock market, where you buy shares of stock, and actually own them, until you sell them. The forex market is a cash-settled market, in which your positions, LONG or SHORT, are similar to bets placed on the direction of price movements. But, don’t worry about that, right now.

Apparently, you have not gone through the Babypips School. Or, if you have, you need to do it again.

Go to the top of this page (or any page in this forum) and click on School. Start at the beginning, and make sure you have mastered each lesson, before you move on the next one.

Why is it only EUR/USD?

I’m going through babypips right now, haven’t made much headway. Some stuff I sort of understand and the book does not offer the best of explanation, so I go here :slight_smile:

Because that’s what the industry has agreed to.

In all currency pairs involving the EUR, the EUR will be the base currency.

In all currency pairs involving the GBP (except EUR/GBP), the GBP will be the base currency.

And so forth, all the way down to the JPY.

In all currency pairs involving the JPY, the JPY will be the [B]cross[/B] currency.

Can you please kindly explain what is cross currency and base currency? Thanks

Me thinks you need to go straight to school…do not pass go, do not collect $200 :wink:

How You Make Money in Forex | How Do You Trade Forex? | Learn Forex Trading

Thanks. :59: After reading i get to understand.

I remember I found it also weird at first… nothing has changed since then, its still looks weird to me :slight_smile:

Stop-entry orders and limit entry are not the same. They are actually the opposite. Let’s say that the EUR/USD’s price is 1.30 and you want to open a long position if the price crosses above 1.31. In this case, you would use the stop-entry level. No, let say you want to buy it only if the price is under 1.29 – here you would use the limit-entry order. The bottom line is that limit price is like saying : “I want to open a position, but I am willing to pay no more than 1.29”. therefore, if you’d put the limit-entry order at 1.31 when the actual price was 1.30, you would get the market price, which was 1.30. Hop you understood…

Thik of a pile of orders in front of your dealing desk. Your broker has say 1000 buy orders and 1500 sell orders. As the orders are filled when the last buy order is filled then the price has to drop to find more buyers at a lower price. If your order is stop sell at a few pips below the point which this happens then you broker will not fill you automatically, he will either fill you at a much lower price or bypass you altogether , either way things will not go according to your plan because according to the BBC your Broker is your *****. Proof here. Million Dollar Traders - 14/18 - YouTube. This why buy stop/sell stop orders are not too effective. Stick to market orders to start and paper trade the Limit orders until you can roughly predict movement and can actively put it to plan with risk management established before you take the trade.
TOP TIP. The more times a Support or Resistance level is hit then the STRONGER THAT LEVEL BECOMES. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:):):):slight_smile:

amazing video, thanks for sharing!
a lot of pressure there…

To say your broker will bypass you all together on a stop order is flat out wrong (unless it’s a scam operation in the first place, which is a totally different discussion). A stop becomes a market order as soon as the trigger price is reached or exceeded. As such, it will be executed - unlike a limit order which only gets executed at the set price or better. That said, there can certainly be slippage in a stop’s execution due to market volatility, but at least you know you’ll get a fill. You can’t say the same for a limit.

Absolute dacksack. If there is a gap then the broker is not going to fill you on a stop order. With a limit order it is usually a longer term planned trade (it is for me anyway) and as such the earlier the order is placed then the better chance you have for a fill.My point is that you will not necessarily get filled, remember the BBC motto, “Your Broker is a *****”.

Hi Clint,

Something in the post I don’t understand. Hope you would help clarify it. Thanks!

You mentioned that, in the BUY STOP ORDER, we exit a short/long position by doing a BUY STOP ORDER, and vice versa for the SELL STOP ORDER.

And also, in the BUY LIMIT ORDER, you mentioned that we exit a short/long order with a BUY LIMIT ORDER and vice versa.

You mentioned that when we exit a position, with a BUY STOP/SELL STOP/BUY LIMIT/SELL LIMIT, “In which case it is a STOP LOSS ORDER / TAKE PRICE ORDER.” What relation does a STOP LOSS / TAKE PROFIT have to do with a BUY/SELL , STOP/LIMIT ORDER when closing a position, when in the beginning, we made a completely different pending order to begin with.

Please advise :slight_smile:

This made it clear.

Demo trading isn’t the same as real money trading. There will be times where trades do not get triggered cos of a lack of buyers/sellers(possible right?) or a sudden drop of price etc, and prices might get dragged around a little and we get entered at a slightly different price as what we wished it did. And a specific type of order ensures that the type of strategy we employ becomes clearer to us.

Actually, knowing the terms is a good way of understanding how we could plan our trade, just like a poker hand. Though in the heat of the battle, the numbers is all we need.

I use Metatrader4 and so I need to enter the specific types of Order and that kinda sucks. Just understood it today after your post enlightened me.

Hope I got it right.

CRITERIA :

STOP LOSS ORDER :

BUY - Entry Price must be set above the Current Market Price.

SELL - Entry Price must be set below the Current Market Price.

LIMIT ORDER :

BUY - Entry Price set below the Current Market Price.

SELL - Entry Price set above the Current Market Price.

A STOP LOSS ORDER / LIMIT ORDER …

STOP LOSS ORDER ensures that we would by hook or by crook, we will get to buy or sell it, as long as we do not cancel the ORDER.

LIMIT ORDER doesn’t guarantee that our order will be triggered. It only gets triggered if we get to enter at our specified price or better.

I’m still learning and I’m thankful.

Please advise.