COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

It’s time to calculate the Movement Index.

Formula: Current COT Index - COT Index X weeks ago. I use six, as Steve Briese advised.

The next step is to calculate Commercial Positions / OI (How much in % longs and shorts does Commercial entities own of the overall OI).

A simple % calculation.

Most of you guys were not familiar with the following index. It’s called Williams Commercial Index (Willco). I like to call it CP/OI Index.

Forumla: Stochastic (Net Position / OI, vara)

These are the calculations I use for my analysis. It is really no rocket science once you get the hang of it.

In the last part of the tutorial, I’m going to show you how you can plot the values on different charts.

Hi Balazs,

I am stuck at Tutorial VI. Need some help there. I am at the point where I want to do the table you mention at the first picture. The problem is I cannot read the words in your excel sheet. All the letters are too small and I do not see it.

Besides that I have a bit problem with the sorting: oldest to newest. In English this looks obvious, I do it on another language where the translation is not that obvious. Should the 2011 year data be on the top and 2014 for the bottom? If I go to the end of 2013 and 2011 data is on the top then we analyse on 2014 data.

I know it is difficult to make there maybe other print screens but if I cannot see then it is hard to move furhter on.

Thanks,
FE

The order should be from 2011 to 2014.

Well guys, that was yesterday, today we had the largest rise in stocks across the board for over 12 months.

Moral of the story is keep an eye on the small caps for a guide to risk appetite, like I said above it’s timing is very precise.

Hey guys.
Tuesday results.

CAD: +7 -0 0///+5 -0 0
NZD: +5 -1 0///+4 -0 1
USD: +3 -1 3///+0 -1 2
AUD: +3 -2 2///+3 -0 2
JPY : +3 -2 2///+0 -2 1
GBP: +2 -5 0///+0 -3 0
EUR: +0 -6 1///+0 -3 0
CHF: +0 -6 1///+0 -3 0

Comms took this one pretty good. +12

Mike

I wonder whether we could use the COT to find possible tops and bottoms. The Russel 2000 is included in the report. I might look into it later.

Yeah, but I’d suggest if it is the traded instrument then great, it has it’s own vix also.

It’s real power is measuring shifts in stock investor risk sentiment, the reality is as suggested, the greater risk stocks are sold off first in a decreasing risk appetite environment, when it was seen that the reality is that the US economy is not about to implode, that there was little prospect of “a perfect storm” then risk appetite quickly increased, “buy the stock bargains with the greater risk - quickly before everyone else gets in.”

Had the small caps been still falling last week then it is most likely the S&P would be at best consolidating, probably still falling.

Now back to CRB watching, it could herald the next major shift.

[B]Morning guys![/B]

I decided to let the tutorial rest for a while. At least until somebody finish the latest volume.

I’m trying to make it a habit of mine, to make a study once or twice a week related to the COT report. It is a great exercise, and gives you a general idea of how responsive different markets to the report.

In my last study, I examined the [B]relationship between OI readings and price[/B]. We came to the conclusion, that market[I] bottoms[/I] (highs) usually came hand-in-hand with [I]low[/I] (high) OI readings.

[B]Today, I’m taking the study one step further to see how Willco fared in 15 years. My test subject is once again, Silver.[/B]

[I]Here is the chart of XAGU/USD from 2000 to 2014[/I]

I calculate Willco with 1,5 years (80 weeks) variable, so that is what I’m going to use here too. If anyone wants to experiment with different variables, be my guest.

I have marked the instances with green line when Willco stepped over the 90% line. As you can see for yourself, almost 100% of the time Commercials became extremely bullish, the price of Silver skyrocketed.

Interestingly enough, they are just as precise with short positions.

Let us add the Net Positions and mark only those instances when both indicators flashed an extreme condition. Longs are right on the money, that is obvious. Despite the fact that silver was in an uptrend for a prolonged period, Commercials were picking tops pretty good as well.

[B]Conclusion[/B]: [B]Commercials rock![/B] The 2 indicators combined together might warn us about major trend changes/continuations.

Off-topic: [I]It would be nice if some of us used pictures as illustrations. I really liked Peter’s Russel 2000 and S&P 500 comparison. I believe that the matter deserves more attention.[/I]

[B]Edit: I used new pictures because in the last 3, I accidentally used Silver chart from 1998 to 2014 instead of 2000 to 2014. Sorry about that.[/B]

I have no idea how the last pic got here. I cant remove it -_-

Hi BB,

I made the whole tutorial. Wow, it took some time, but it is nothing compared to the time you had to develop this system and excel sheet. It is a very nice work!

I do not want to be picky, but there is a small typing mistake. Please correct it. Anyone being fit with excel would see it easily, but if someone did not work much with it, well it can cause some small problems. Here is what to check: post 1720, Step3 in the formula an “F” is missing.

In post 1733 the first attachment does not work.

Doing all the steps you wrote, I came to the conclusion that I have to buy silver soon. :slight_smile: What a surprise.

I have decided to try this analysis on the weekend. This means I will not do the analysis until now, I will just check rookies writeup on currencies, I want to make the next step. I will only analyse 1 commodity, but I believe doing this the first time will keep me busy. I think I will do US Crude oil. After doing the work a couple of times I do think that the process will speed up.

And thanks for the larger sprint screens, showing how to make the second template. This last Willco writing was also cool. Now I am ready for the last part of the tutorial.

FE

Guys,

I think you have seen that I do not post too much in the last days. It is not because I am not there. I am just very busy with many forex tasks at the same time. I do not start new conversations until I am done with the current works. There might be a bit of slow down in the posts as I see, but we all use our time for gaining knowledge and learning and we will have better analysis in the future. I think this invested time and work with have a huge payout.

Everyone should keep up working hard and the nice write-ups from Peter and Mike keep the thread live until everyone is done with the different work to do.

FE

I assume that you have completed the previous parts of the tutorial, so we can move onto displaying the data using Excel charts.

It is going to be a walk in the park compared what you’ve been through :slight_smile:

Net Positions

The best way to illustrate the action of the different entities in the last X years is using a simple line chart.

Insert the chart. Once the black field appears, right click on it, then “Select Data”.

Depending on the years you wish to display, select the desired interval’s Commercial and Non-Commercial Net Position fields. (You might wish to include Nonreportables, although they are going to be a flat line compared to Hedgers & Funds.

On the day of this writing, to display 3 years of data, we have to move back to 2011.10.11.

To see the date for each value, select the interval from column B. (Black circle)
For Legend Entries, edit Series 1 & 2 to Commercial and Non-Commercial.

Once done, yours should look like this. (probably with different colors)

Following the logic in the last Tutorial, you should be able to figure out the rest of the graphs yourself.

Here’s a little help though.

Oh, almost forgot. Displaying the COT Index is a little tricky, so I shall give you a little help there.

Once you select the data you want to see on the chart, you’ll probably notice that something amiss.

That does not look good, does it? The reason for this appearance is the the chart is centered around zero without fixed limits. Here’s the way to solve the problem.

Right click on the Horizontal Lines, then select “Format Axis

Apply the following settings. That should do the trick!

Well, that is all for now. Wish you luck with your database!

Hey guys.
Wednesday results.

USD: +6 -0 1///+2 -0 1
AUD: +5 -0 2///+3 -0 2
JPY : +4 -1 2///+1 -0 2
CAD: +4 -2 1///+3 -1 1
GBP: +2 -4 1///+1 -2 0
CHF: +1 -4 2///+1 -2 0
EUR: +1 -5 1///+1 -2 0
NZD: +0 -7 0///+0 -5 0

Well this one was EVEN.
USD and AUD on top today.
And there goes NZD down. (figures…I guess now is a good time huh?)

00 GMT

Mike

Hi BB,

as today I will finish the tutorial and can start working with the analysis, the question about the database and especially on your database are coming into my mind.

Here are the questions I have:

1. With Philip, we were working on the Currency Cross COT Index. The question is if you also worked it out how to manage it in your database to make charts based on that. It would be a great tools to use the COT Report on the crosses too, and not only on US pairs. To see more information on the issue, please check the Briese book on page 131 and page 132. I am though quite sure that you already worked it out or at least know what I am talking about.

2. The other thing is refreshing your database. I wanted to know what method do you find the best to refresh your database? Do you download the compressed COT report every week and then for example you just take the one column of silver for the given week and enter it into your database? Or do you write just the numbers out? What method does best work for you?

3. How did you handle your trades? If you analysed the COT report all alone, it had to be a huge work to analyse all markets. So I guess you either focused yourself on specific commodities or you analysed every week different products. For this reason I think a team can reach better results, because if we have enough dedicated people, then we will be able to analyse the whole market on a weekly basis and be up to date with all signals at the same time.

Have a nice afternoon everyone and keep working with the tutorial,

FE

[B]Question #1[/B]: To be honest, I had no intention to create COT Cross Indexes but since you asked, I’ll give it a try.

[I]“The futures markets for cross-rates—currency pairs that do not include the dollar—are not well enough established to provide a usable COT data base. So I simply combine the COT data for two futures contracts to create the COT Cross Indexes. To get the correct combination, multiply the quote currency times −1 before adding.”[/I]

Let’s take [B]EUR/JPY[/B] for instance.

[U]Euro FX[/U] - Commercial longs: [I]54,556[/I] | Commercial shorts: [I]210,178[/I]
[U]Japanese Yen[/U] - Commercial longs: [I]192,234[/I] | Commercial shorts: [I]47,395[/I]

[U]Cross Index[/U] - Commercial longs: [I]54,556+(-192,234)=(-137,678)[/I] | Commercial shorts: [I]210,178+(-47,395)=(162,783)[/I]

Well, that does it. I’m not sure about -137,678 though. Maybe you have to take it’s absolute value. From these numbers, you are able to calculate the important indicators. I’ll look into the matter more, once I have some spare time.

[B]Question #2[/B]: I simply write the numbers out until I find a programmer who is able to automatize the process. I Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V last week’s row, re-type the [I]Report Date[/I] and the Long / Short positions. The calculations are automatic.

[B]Question #3[/B]: It actually takes about 10 seconds to know whether that particular instrument deserves attention during next week or not. That’s what COT Index extremes are for! If there are other confirmations (Movement Index, OI low/high, Willco), even better.

[B]Update report -> Look for extremes -> Analyze chart using TA.[/B]

Thanks for a great tutorial BB, I will be uploading my database according to it.

I hope some of you guys have taken advantage on the trades I shared on the weekends; GBPNZD is close to getting to its first target of 140 pips.

The S&P is working great too; I’m up eight points for a profit of $225 and we are only in the second day of trading. Those who did enter the trade I recommend moving your stops to break-even just in case price moves back below the 200 ma. As we have seen from previous example this remains the likely scenario, especially with the Fed meetings coming up.

I’m also long USDJPY and USDCHF for a small profit, a good week so far. I think I only made one or two losing trades since September #onfire.

Hi Philip,

this is also my very best week since trading. I have very many open trades, the USD trades you mentioned. I entered earlier S&P 1893 to 1921 once, and now I am also in from 1929 and SL is above breakeven. I shorted JPY vs. all others except EUR. I also entered CAD longs, but GBP only vs. JPY. I think GBP will fall and I do not go long with it. I am more happy to trade CAD these days.

Good luck,
FE

Hi BB,

What did you say about creating the excel? Something like this?:

“It is going to be a walk in the park compared what you’ve been through”

It was the toughest part of the tutorial! Took quite some time. If you have not posted the exact steps or the charts pictures to compare it… then I do not know.

After some sweating it looks like yours, only in different colours.

So I can start doing it now. I cannot wait for the weekend :slight_smile:

About crosses: I think your calculation looks good, I do not think we have to take the absolute value. I mean the net position can be negative without any problem. However it does look like a hell of a lot of work. There are 28 major currency pairs and 21 are crosses. That is a lot of calculation. It can though help quite a lot I believe, but still a lot of work.

You did not say how many markets do you follow with COT? Do you do all the analysis on the weekend?

And you showed us where to insert the little part of the excel where we calculate COT Index, Movement Index, Willco and OI. Now the question is: we actually do not need to upper row every week. Do you move this chart every week one row down? I just try to understand all steps to make it fast. I was thinking that this data copying on the weekends takes long if I do not choose the right strategy.

Ok, now I will rest. The tutorial was great but made me tired. Now I take a break before it goes “live”.

FE

Hey guys.
Thursday results.

CAD: +7 -0 0///+5 -0 0
EUR: +4 -1 2///+2 -1 0
CHF: +4 -1 2///+2 -1 0
USD: +3 -2 2///+1 -1 1
GBP: +2 -3 2///+1 -1 1
AUD: +2 -3 2///+1 -2 2
NZD: +1 -6 0///+1 -4 0
JPY : +0 -7 0///+0 -3 0

Comms took this one. Barely. +1

Monday: M +1
Tuesday:C +12
Wednes: EVEN
Thursday:C +1

00 GMT

Mike

Hi Mike,

wow, your table shows the shift change in CAD sentiment after the more bullish central bank bias! They just killed everyone.

Guys,

as you see I still do not post much. I am ready with the tutorial, but I could not start the table of content yet. Still, I am not lazy and have good news. Check out the thread name :slight_smile:

Have a nice day everyone,
FE