COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Hi BB,

I am curious about something. What is your goal in trading? I am not kidding. I have the feeling that you make newer and newer indicators (which are all great!) but then without investigating them maybe in detail or try to build a system on them, you just move on for the next one. Sometimes I think your first goal is to have just all indicators programed in your arsenal and second goal is profitability.

Don’t get me wrong, I am really only interested. I think make a great job but on my side what you have shown is already a lot and is enough for a while. I will of course happily read all improvements and your results. I wish a you a lot of luck and share those indicators with us! :slight_smile:

FE

Isn’t it funny how those investor guys seem to get it right a couple of days before a big move. Today was one of the biggest falls in a long time in oil.

Then again, the volume that I was speaking of last night was one of the largest in a long time.

It might seem that way, I admit. I just like to try new stuff when it comes to trading. There is not much to investigate with indicators. One thing to look at is how it fared in the last X years in general and that’s about it. You can play around with various settings, but I never got anything useful out of that so far.

I’m currently using the COT report and ProGo to analyze the markets, but I would love to have the Williams’ Valuation Index in my arsenal as it seems to be promising.

See, I’m trying to approach the markets from as much angle as possible. Mr Williams introduced the WillVal Index in the Sure Thing Commodity Trading course and the indicator piqued my interest. It is not your traditional price-derived indicator. It is something more. An other viewpoint.

Hi BB and Peter,

today the new COT report comes out and I am not sure what to do with S&P. As we have seen the historical analysis, the consolidated report did not help anything. Now the question is if it makes sense to analyse the Index report as it has little OI. What do you guys think?

Mike,
can you post your colored excel table sometimes?

Have a nice day everyone,
FE

I don’t know about the S&P 500. I used to have it in my database but removed it as it was really confusing… A better way to analyze the index is to use some kind of correlation. There’s Peter’s example, the one contains the Will-Spread and it’s divergences.

Hey guys.
Thursday’s results.

USD: +6 -0 1///+2 -0 1
AUD: +6 -0 1///+4 -0 1
JPY : +4 -2 1///+1 -1 1
NZD: +3 -2 2///+2 -1 2
CHF: +1 -3 3///+1 -1 1
EUR: +1 -4 2///+1 -2 0
GBP: +1 -4 2///+1 -2 0
CAD: +0 -7 0///+0 -5 0

Even on the day.

Well, this is the last trading day for the month. I showed you earlier the stats for the first 3 weeks. And the only thing I can come up with is that JPY has some catching up to do. And so far today it looks like it.
0825 GMT shot

Hey FE.
Well, my excel chart has not changed much.
All I do is add on the weekly results. Plus, all I’m doing is in-putting numbers. (anyone can do that)
But, I’ll give you the latest shot.

The first row is the ranked week.
The second row is the actual week.
Third is date.
And the numbers are what they are ranked (as of the previous week).
And the bottom figure is answering the question…how many places are matched with the ranking. I split the group into 2 parts, first 4 and last 4. So you can see (on the latest week results) 6 out of the 8 match. 1, 2, 4, rated did place into the top 4. And 5,7,8 rated did place in the last. All that’s doing is letting me see how they flip flop from one week to the next. Look at the 42nd week (10/13-17). All of the bottom rated ones were in the top 4, and likewise the top 4 rated ones ended up in the last 4.

Is it me or are US pairs starting to range? USDCHF has failed to break the 0.97000 resistance for nine weeks now.
Surprisingly at has also been 9 weeks and US has failed to break the 0.77 support in NZDUSD.
EURUSD is struggling with the 1.24 level for four weeks. USDCAD for eight weeks with 1.13. Three weeks for GBPUSD with 1.56.

Its only AUDUSD and USDJPY that have been creating respective new lows and new highs.

So it seems that it is the weakness of the others rather than the strength of the dollar that has been inspiring the moves.

Hi guys,

based on what BB said and on my experience with my COT report on S&P and the Nikkei, I will not follow anymore the indeces. I am interested if Rookie makes historical analysis is it going to help us or not. But the two indeces I followed do not help. So I also stick to Peter’s Willspread method combining with Russel 2000 and A/D Line.

Mike,
nice stats, can you make some historical observation? There must be some pattern to see there.

Philip,
I fully agree with you, I do not have US longs at the moment. Did you wrote down in the beginning of November from one of Peter’s post what the MRCI website suggested to trade? Just some of the last tips: Sell USDX Nov 24 exit Dec 6, Sell USDX Nov 16 exit Jan 4 and buy NZD Nov 24 exit Jan 12. Now many of the others do not function that great this time, but the message is clear: USD is not as strong as it was.

Have a nice afternoon or weekend everyone, but do not forget the analysis,

FE

Hi guys, usually I have a look at Advance/Decline, Russell 2000 re the S&P, but I’m not going to bother, too many on holidays for a meaningful analysis.

Now Monday will be a different story. Monday’s EOD data on the S&P will be of interest, so too price action. I would expect the normal run, at NY open maybe a drop down to yesterday’s low, then upwards from that.

In reality price ‘should’ be bullish, so let’s see.

Edit: couldn’t resist, GLDX big fall, low volume, just following oil down.
Russell 2000 - hmmm… signs of nervousness big time, will check out tracker etf’s for volume, I’d say was low but…if I was a bull in the S&P I’d would be, well nervous.

This is up to date, HR1, will def be looking at A/D for EOD today on NQ, S&P and DJ.

Just on Gold, GLDX volume was low (developers/explorers) the big GDX, includes the miners and volume was surprisingly high, probably the Swiss vote.

Peter you might have already found the trade of the week for next week! I am interested to see what you will find out.

Thanks for that,

FE

Hi Team,

well, I will do my COT analysis but looking at the price action of the last days - which is not included in COT - I think this week the COT report will not be too interesting and we have to wait until next week.

Price action does show some interesting future possibilities. Peter might write us something about copper in relationship with oil or how oil effects all other commodities as I guess oil was responsible for this huge price fall of commodities in the last two days. We are getting close to Philips $65 level where he said to watch out. Gold and silver both got huge hits, a protective SL was definitely not bad to bring me out at least a little above BE. I also do not know if oil can have unusually high effect on agriculturals. Looking at wheat, it had yesterday an unsual rise; on the other side soybean had an unusual fall. So the question is if they are also highly correlated to all other commodities or more independent.

I remember what Peter wrote a lot earlier about Williams: “2015 will be a great year for commodities. You just have to close your eyes and buy them.” Well I am getting ready!

FE

Hi Team,

well, I downloaded the new COT report file more times and the conclusion is clear: there are no new COT data uploaded so there is nothing to analyse and discuss this weekend :frowning:

Maybe Peter and BB have a bit more experience what happens in such case. I believe it has to do with US holidays on Friday. So are they going to publish the data on Monday or are they going to include 2 weeks of data on next week Friday?

Well even if there is no report, I will use the time to do the chart updates what BB told us this week. At least when the report is out I do not have to do anything with the charts.

Have a great weekend guys,
FE

Hi BB,

I have a bit of a problem updating my charts with your trick. Maybe this weekend is a good opportunity to discuss on which of the 6 indicators does it work and on which one not.

As I see for the Net Positions and Open Interest charts the method is not working because we need 3 years of data so we have to manually pull the values down every weekend because the oldest value has to fall out and this means we have to take it manually out.

Now I made the charts on CP/OI. It also did not work. I show you with two pictures.

This is how it looks like on at the present time on silver:

According what you said, if we add empty cells then the excel sheet will not consider it, only when we update it. Well it is not the case with my sheet because I added like 35 cells and half of my chart is empty so you can hopefully tell me where the mistake lies:

I have the same problem with Willco, COT Movement Index and COT Index as I had with CP/OI. I do not attach any other pictures because they are all similar to the CP/OI pictures.

Thanks,
FE

It only works if you include the dates, although I don’t know why. Actually, my goal was to eliminate the need to update the OI & NP charts each week as that was the most time consuming. Fortunately, Excel remembers the values in case of COT Index, CP/OI and Willco so you just have to select the new values and they will be added.

As for the COT report, I encountered the same problem. I guess we will have to wait until Monday.

Hey guys.
Here’s some stats. For the month of November. Pips against everyone totaled up. (barometer of strength)
(weekly candles)

Week 1///////Week 2/////////Week 3///////////Week 4//////////Totals////////
USD: +538///NZD: +1625//CAD: +1078////EUR: +1117////NZD: +1617
CHF: +411///AUD: +1060///GBP: +429/////CHF: +930//////CHF: +1491
NZD: +325///CHF: +555////USD: +426/////GBP: +614//////USD: +1234
CAD: +243///CAD: +305////NZD: -121//////USD: +358/////EUR: +628
EUR: +180///EUR: +125////JPY : -171///////NZD: -212//////CAD: +560
GBP: -159////USD: -88//////CHF: -405///////JPY : -249//////GBP: -1253
AUD: -665////JPY : -1445///AUD: -440///////CAD: -1066////AUD: -1537
JPY : -874////GBP: -2137///EUR: -794////////AUD: -1492////JPY : -2739

And if you add them up the Comms had +640 pips up against the majors.

Concerning the CHF. I’ve been thinking. Why are they up there? We know they tail the EUR. But there is a divergence there. It surely isn’t because of fundamentals, on their own anyway. Maybe their current account balance. But I think they represent an absence of something. Like their the recipient of the opposite side of both strength and weakness of the other currencies. For instance, we all know how weak the Yen is. So, surely the CHF will strengthen. And whoever else is weak, (EUR) you gonna go long CHF. Also whoever is strong you know your gonna go against them. So I’m thinking they represent the middle of the road, and on the playing field you can gauge the balance of everyone by looking at them. And now since they are close to the top that tells me (this month anyway) that there has been more different currencies selling across the board than buying. Ok…maybe like being a bear market. As I look back on my records, in the beginning of the year it was the Pound and Swiss that dominated the market. Feb and March is when the last time the CHF shined. And we’re talking big time. And if you remember that’s when the USD was supposed to be coming back. There was so much anticipation for the Dollar to dominate. “This is the year of the Dollar” Well, that was delayed until summer time came. But, in the mean time, the CHF was the substitute. And no one else stepped up, cause at that time (early spring) that’s when the GBP was coming down off their highs. And we all knew the EUR was fretting about their inflation situation. So they were not strong then. And then come end of March is when the Comms took center stage. The CHF had to step away and let them rule the world. The Comms dominated up until the end of July. (All 3 Comms dominated). Then at the end of July is when the USD became boss. They have had a good run. But now (as you guys have stated) they are faultering a bit. So, for this month we have a pretty strong Dollar still, one strong Comm, and the CHF in between them.

So, there’s my thoughts on the CHF, with a little bit of looking back on the year.

I remember writing up about the CAD last week. Talking about how strong they are, and being able to play both sides of the field. Well…look at what happened to them between the 3rd week and 4th week. They have erased those pips, just like that. I wonder what was the cause of that. Maybe Doc can elaborate.

Well, if you don’t know by now, I like to see the big picture and keep it always in mind.
Maybe at the end of the year, coming up soon, I should give a good recap on what took place this year. I can put them all into perspective for you and how they related to one another.

But, the question is…does it (history) really have an affect on what happens in the future? Or is it just purely history, and the future brings completely different stories…

Mike

Hey guys!

Since we won’t see the fresh report until Monday, I decided to make use of the time I usually spend updating my database, so I created the Cross Index for EUR/AUD.

It took a while to figure out what did Briese actually mean when he explained the index. Turns out, you only need the Net Positions for both the base and quote currency instead of the long/short positions I was experimenting with at first.

Formula for EUR/AUD Commercials CI: EUR Commercials NP+(-1*(AUD Commercials NP))

I’ll probably add a couple of CI to my database, but now I’m taking a well-deserved rest :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Mike,
nice monthly analysis and thoughts. I am not that good with CHF I would think they lose as the SNB is ready to take action. Go to read from you again!

BB,
what a great idea with cross currencies. I also start it.

Peter,
can you make in Oanda MT4 willspread for everything? Can you please suggest for me a secondary market for oil?

Rookie,
you have GBP, AUD, CHF and CAD. I have EUR, NZD, JPY and RUB. We should also setup the COT report for cross currencies. How about this: you do it for your crosses and I do it for mine? It saves a lot of time as we both have analysis for the own currencies and we just have to copy paste our net position totals. Of course you have more work as RUB falls out for me. We already cover then the 7 USD pairs, you cover 6 crosses, I cover 3, I think we do not need to do EURCHF and AUDNZD, that is another 2 pair. This is already 18 pairs from the 28 main pairs! Not bad! What do you think?

Have a nice weekend everyone further on,
FE

Hi BB,

first of all thanks for your patience and help. I still need it as I just do not get it. I attach a picture how it looks like and another one how the bottom part of my excel sheet looks like. Maybe you can see where the problem lies.

The other question is about COT Index, CP/OI and Willco as you divide the charts into two categories. I do not really know what you mean that excel remembers the values. I update all 6 charts the same way every week. I do not know anything that would help be different for NP and OI and for the other 4 tables. Can you please explain it a bit more in detail?

Thanks,
FE

If the chart if complicated (Net Positions with OI for example), the Excel won’t ‘remember’ the values once you modify the chart (you’ll have to select the values again each time you update the chart). That is the case with the chart of NPs & OI. CP/OI, Willco, and the Movement Index on the other hand are simple charts (Excel will remember the values). If you send me your e-mail in pm, I’ll send my database so you’ll see what I am talking about.