Why market move reverse against the economic news sometime?

At GMT 15:00 today (28-5-2015), US pending home sales (high volatility rated) up to 3.4% from previous value 1.2% and forecast value 0.9%. That is definitely a good news for USD. But EUR/USD went up one minutes after the news although it went down for a few seconds after the news. Can someone explain me about that?

Anyone that says they can is lying. It is what it is. Just trade what you see.

it seems similar to the previous months figures, and similar chart pattern. i would guess yoy is more significant than mom and i have it listed as medium/low impact. also both cases, bad news for usd already in the day from more significant high impact gdp/jobless claims figures. well, that or mars was retrograde with saturn ascending. i must stop telling porkys :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s because of open interest for the pair, as you know market moving on forcast and traders knew that the good news comes up so the pair moved in direct with optimism …

Thanks for your comments and sharing your views guys. So I realize that we can’t rely on one factor only when we do trading. We can take just guide lines only.

Hello Nyein,

The impact of news is usually already discounted in the chart, if not then it’s impact is of temporary nature, the price will stick to the primary trend. So if the primary trend is down, and there is good news that pushes prices up yet the trend remains intact, then that good news is in fact a selling opportunity since it did not effect the direction of the main trend (it was not strong enough to violate trend direction) i m talking long term charts here not intra day.

i think, like bobbillbrowne says, you can never really say quite why the market does what it does.

i’m glad your interested in trading news. i just think in this case the news was opposite the trend and of low significance, just like oceanmen says.

one that springs to mind is that one news release i watched oil was reported as having more in stock than forecast but still the price went up sharply. i guess that the demand was there in the underlying trend and buyers were ready to buy at that point in time.

that and the bankers will play out all the orders against the trend in a batch to catch stops on everyone going with the trend (goes “down for a few seconds”) (and to give them best price) and then executing all the orders that go with the trend to stop out everyone that went with the news data. all very fast too.

other example i think was japan and the disaster, you might think jpy would fall but it rose as demand rose as there was need for currency to pay for rebuilding and repair work.

i think most news is not really very significant and the market trys to make as much money and volatility out of it as possible. when there is real big news it can make a huge difference to price, for example, when eu and us announced sanctions against russia last year.

best of luck, regards

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experiences everybody. I’ve got a lot of knowledge by this post and I’m really appreciate it!

Today manufacturing production came out at 9.30 a.m GMT, and the EUR start moving against GBP and GBP raised against USD earlier at 7:00 A.M. once the news comes up at 9.30 a.m, yes EUR was right and manufacturing production was disappointed (-0.4) .

Is there any way for big investors in Europe and ECB have a result 2 hours sooner than others?!

That is why speculative sentiment index using as contrarian index?!

Is that the reason speculative sentiment index using as contrarian index?!