Does anyone have a good process/resources for examining historical events?

It has been awhile (over 3 years) since I have done anything with Forex, but I was wondering if there is a good process to find out what fundamental events caused major changes such as the ones seen below.

I was reading an article on South Sudan and learned that they achieved independence in 2011, but what explains the huge one day jumps in 2012 and 2014? I was reading another article from Jan 2014 saying that it was physically being traded @ $1 USD for 8.2 SDG. Does the political instability cause physical currency trades to be marked up 20%-40%??? I guess that would be reasonable if I were running a currency exchange there… didn’t check on inflation rates or any other economic indicators, was just looking for news releases.

I googled for economic events around the dates of the jumps but couldn’t find anything.

BTW - I ask such a simple question b/c I was pure TA, never really cared about the fundamentals when I was actually trading, lol.

Thanks!

Anybody? Even just posting resources for fundamental analysis would help me out.