Oanda Training Troubles

I’m currently having some trouble understanding some material from Oanda’s training regimen. I was wondering if there was anyone that understands and can walk me through what the statement means.

The site: Monetary and Fiscal Policy | OANDA fxTrade

The statement I just can’t seem to wrap my head around:

“As an investor you may be happy with a 5 percent return when the basic lending rate is 2 percent. However, if short-term interest rates rise and the lending rate jumps to 6 percent, your 5 percent return is no longer so attractive, and there are probably other options that could generate more income for your investment.”

Thank You

V/r
Logan

Why?

If the market is getting 2% and you are getting 5% you’ll be happy because you’re out performing the market.

If the market is suddenly getting 6% and you’re only getting 5% you’ll be less than happy because you are underperforming the market.

What did I miss?

i think they mat also be referring to a situation where one is borrowing capital at a short-term rate of 2% and investing it in, say, a long-term fund that generates a return of 5% (i.e a net gain of 3%). A common practice when borrowing is cheap. But it the short-term borrowing rate then rises to 6% then one is losing 1% after the next loan rollover and would have been better in some other investment.

At least I think that might be it unless others have brighter ideas? :slight_smile:

You got to keep your eye on the bond market and rates. Short term as well as long term rates have a big effect on the markets. Sudden changes can come when shorter term rates are more favorable to long term rates.