FXCM Announcements

Hello Jason,

great posts in Forextown, thank you.

I received an email from.FXCM about margin requirement updates but it seems to mention 100:1 and 200:1 leverage, so I assume that as I only hold positions with about 3:1 leverage I should.not worry about my maintenance margin currently being slightly under the recommended 80%…

Am I right?

Thanks PMH, it’s been a fun discussion!

You are correct. FXCM’s minimum margin requirements (MMR) allow you to use up to 100:1 leverage on our No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution for Standard accounts, 400:1 leverage on DD forex execution for Mini accounts, and 200:1 leverage on CFDs.*

The email you mentioned gets sent out periodically to update our clients regarding any changes (usually minor) to their margin requirements. This is done to account for any exchange rate fluctuations between the currency of your trading account and any particular currency pair you are trading.

For example, if your trading account is denominated in GBP, and you are trading EUR/USD, then your margin requirement for trading that pair as measured in British pounds would go up if the EUR/GBP exchange rate rises. However, if the EUR/GBP exchange rate falls, then so would your margin requirement to trade EUR/USD, since EUR is the base currency of that pair.

You can always see your current minimum margin requirements to trade one micro lot of a given currency pair in the MMR column of the Dealing Rates window on Trading Station. If you are trading on 3:1 leverage, then you far exceed the minimum margin requirements need to maintain your open positions.

[I]* CFTC regulations prohibit brokers from offering CFD trading or more than 50:1 leverage on forex to US traders.[/I]

Hello Jason,

thank you so much!

Still providing great support here!!

I hope you are being handsomly praised

(or, even better, rewarded) for it by your

managers!!

Thanks PMH! I’ll be sure to share your feedback. :smiley:

Please note there is a [B]holiday in the US on Monday, May 30th for Memorial Day[/B]. You can see our holiday trading hours for CFD’s here: Holiday Trading Hours | CFDtrading.com

Forex trading hours remain unchanged, and you can view the holiday rollover interest schedule here: Forex Rollover Calendar

I will be out of the office until Tuesday, May 31st and will respond to your forum posts and private messages when I return.

Have a great weekend!

Hi Everyone,

We have begun to reduce margin requirements on select instruments back to pre-British referendum levels and will continue to do so gradually based on market conditions.

For the most up-to-date margin requirements that apply to your account, please look at the minimum margin requirement (MMR) column of the Simple Dealing Rates window on your Trading Station. If you use Mirror Trader, MT4 or NinjaTrader, your account login details will give you access to all three versions of Trading Station (desktop, web and mobile) to check your MMR.

Your exact MMR will depend on your trading entity (FXCM US, UK or Australia), account denomination (USD, GBP, AUD, etc.) and whether you have a Mini or Standard account. The screenshot above is from my Standard US dollar-denominated FXCM US account. My MMR for GBP/USD is 96.00, which means I have to set aside $96 as used margin (Usd Mr) for each micro lot (1K) position I have open.

Carefully consider how margin changes may impact your open positions and resting orders.

Please Note: In case market conditions become very volatile, we could raise margin requirements further. Please monitor your usable margin (Usbl Mr) closely, making sure it stays above zero. We recommend a usable margin that’s at least 80% of your account equity (usable margin plus used margin).

Remember that forex trading can result in losses that could exceed your deposited funds and therefore may not be suitable for everyone, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

Please note there is a holiday in the US on Monday, July 4th for Independence Day.

[ul][li]You can see our holiday trading hours for CFD’s here: Holiday Trading Hours | CFDtrading.com
[/li][li]Forex trading hours remain unchanged, and you can view the holiday rollover interest schedule here: Forex Rollover Calendar | DailyFX.com[/ul]
[/li]
I will be out of the office until Tuesday, July 5th and will respond to your forum posts and private messages when I return.

Have a great weekend!

FXCM sent me emails - stating update your information or else trading will be turned off and you will be required to re-apply for an account. I’ve updated the information required and my trading has been turned off. I’ve called fxcm and talked to Jon Reynolds, and he just advised to create a new application. All I ask is why, and I do not get an answer. Why Jason, if I updated my information in order to avoid my trading being turned off, it is still turned off, and why if asked to update information so that I do not have to apply for a new account, and I do update this information, why do I have to apply for a new account?

Hi PT,

It would be impossible for me to say without knowing the exact details of your situation. From what you describe, it sounds like our Operations department requested specific documents for your account setup. The documents you sent may have arrived late or been inadequate, which is why your account was locked from trading pending receipt of proper documentation. Again, I am only speculating based on what you have said, since I only know you by your forum username PerchTird and don’t have your real name or account number.

For your security, please don’t post this information on the forum. If you send a private message referencing the email address we have on file for your FXCM account, I can use this to follow up with our Operations department on your behalf and get some clarification for you on what they need from you, so you can get back to trading. :slight_smile:

Thanks Jason, but a friendly chat and friendly email, and I am back in business!

Now can you tell me how to make profit every day! :53:

Thanks for the update, PT! I’m glad to know that’s sorted.

I’ll have to get back to you on that. Struggling to get on the right side of JPY this week. :30:

I will be out of the office until Tuesday, August 9th and will respond to your posts and private messages when I return.

For immediate assistance, you can contact our 24-hour live customer support.

Hi Jason, not sure if you can assist or advise…I signed up to the FXCM demo mirror trader account however the platform does not seem to operate on Mac OS 10.0.5. Is there software limitations for mirror trading accounts?

Thanks.

Ravs

Hi Ravs,

The Mirror Trader platform is flash-based. It should run on your web browser as long as you have the latest version of Adobe Flash.

If you have the latest version, please let me know more about the error you get on your web browser when you try to log into Mirror Trader.

Attention Trading Station Desktop users: A new update is available for your platform.

This update is not yet automatic when you log into your account, but clients who want to use the latest features now can get the new version today. Simply go to “Help > Software Updates” from the menu bar at the top of your Trading Station and follow the steps to complete the installation.

One of my favorite new features is the Simulation Mode. This allows you to replay market data at real or accelerated speed (for example, 10 times real speed).

The best part is that Simulation Mode is available 24/7 even during weekend maintenance. This is great for traders who like to do their charting, practicing and strategizing over the weekend when trading is closed. Test how well you would have traded key market moves from the past!

In future posts, I willl provide you with more information on other new features available in the latest version of Trading Station Desktop.

Our service includes products that are traded on margin and carry a risk of losses in excess of your deposited funds. The products may not be suitable for all investors. Please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

Now thats an awesome idea. Great job to all at FXCM. I am sure this will come in very handy when trying to develop new trading strategies.

I do have a question about the web based platform. I was trying to make something out of the same concept as this trading setup linked below where you set 2 of the same moving averages but one is lagged behind a candle. Is there a way to set this up using the web based platform. I was trying to develop a scalping method similar to the method in the link

http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/80124-ribbon-system.html

Thanks Bob!

Regarding this system, the documentation is 23 pages long. Was there some particular difficulty you ran into when trying to implement it on Trading Station Web?

What I was looking to do is on the first post of that thread. In the post they have 2 6 period moving averages 1 is set to 6-0 which I assume is just a 6 period moving average but the other is set to 6-1 which appears to be a 6 period moving average but it lags current price by 1 period. I could just use a 7 period but it would be off a little for what I was attempting to do. Was going to develop a scalping strategy using a similar concept.

Hi Bobmaninc,
Can you not also use the Alligator indicator on the web-based Trading station as I described in response to your query on the Ribbon thread for the Marketscope platform?

Jason:
The ribbon is formed from a combination of a normal MVA and the same MVA shifted forward +1. It is this “shift” indicator that no longer appears on the Trading Station (although it can still be found as a custom ind). But if it cannot be found then the Alligator indicator contains shift settings and can be adapted to replicate exactly the same result.

In the Ribbon pdf, the ribbon used is based on two 6-period MVA where one is shifted +1 bar. But the same principle can be used with any kind of line, turning it into a ribbon, and for this reason the availability of the “shift” indicator would be useful for both Web and PC versions.

Only a little, I think. It certainly shouldn’t be so different as to make the method unprofitable rather than profitable.

Another possibility might be to try a 6-period [I]exponential[/I] or [I]weighted[/I] MA as the “faster” line and a 6-period [I]simple[/I] MA as the “slower” one. I haven’t actually tried it, but I’d think that would also be pretty similar?