Trade closed above the candle high ? how?

Hi Jason, I was demo trading with the fxcm platform (marketscope), I was in a trade that i decided to close, but somehow my order was closed above the high of the candle. This is happened to me a number of times now. Please see the pics attatched.

The arrow shows the candle that i closed the trade on, i actually closed the trade lower then the high, but the platform says i closed it 2 pips higher then that ?

It took several minutes after i closed the trade for price to reach the level that the platform closed me at. Whats going on ??

Dan

Hi Dan,

The chart you are viewing is most likely the bid chart. This means that the candlestick is displaying the sell price for each point. The trade you posted is also a short (sell) position. If you’re short, then the order to close out the trade will be an order to buy. Therefore the spread needs to be factored in to determine the buy price at that time or simply switch the chart from bid to ask if using Marketscope. The Marketscope chart gives you the ability to switch being the bid and ask price by clicking on the B or A button located at the top of the chart.

Here’s a comparison of the bid chart and ask chart on Marketscope:

I labeled at the top of the chart where to find the bid and ask buttons to switch back and forth. The chart on the left is the bid chart matching up with what you posted. The candlestick shows the sell price did not reach that price. The ask chart on the right shows that the buy price did reach 1.42468 therefore your order to buy EUR/USD to close out the position was reached.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply. I came to the same conclusion minutes after i posted that messege on the forum. But thanks for the help anyway, appreciate it.

I was just wondering if its possible to view the average price instead of either the bid or ask ? I think its possible on OANDA charts

if not, is it possible to see both the bid and ask lines on the chart at the same time like on MT4 ? I cant see it in the chart options anywere ?

Regards
Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes you can add the attached file as a custom indicator to see the real-time bid price, ask price, and spread at the same time from the Marketscope Charts.

The steps are:

1. Save the attached file as “.lua” file.
  2. From Marketscope, select Add Indicator.
  3. From the Add Indicator window, select, “Manage”.
  4. Select, “Load” and load the .lua file.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the Add Indicator window and located the indicator under “Other”.
  6. Select the indicator and load.

You can also see the bid and ask in real-time from a tick chart. Tick can be selected in the time period menu (circled in image below). The blue line on the chart is the bid and the red line is the ask.

If you need to go back in time to view the tick chart for a very specific period, maybe a couple minutes a day ago when your trade was executed, you can customize the timeframe by creating a completely new marketshot, select Other for the timeframe, and enter in the specific date and time. Here’s an example:

For average price, i’ll talk to one of my colleagues and see if we can get a custom indicator to you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck trading

• Jason

Thanks Jason, appreciate the help. I will try the bid/as overlay indi you just sent me. If you can get the average price that would be fantastic.

Cheers
Dan

I just tried the overlay indi. nice indi except it doesnt show the actuall line of the bid and ask on the chart ? Any idea how i can get this ?

Hi Dan,

Right, the only timeframe that will display both bid and ask with historical price is to use the tick timeframe.

I attached an indicator that shows the real-time average price. Just convert into a .lua file and load as an indicator.

I will pass along your feedback to see if we can add an average price and the ability to display both bid and ask on multiple timeframes.

thanks!

• Jason

Thanks for the help Jason, appreciate it. If you manage to get the bid and ask lines on other time frames besides the tick chart please do let me know. I would be a great addition to the chart package i believe.

Thanks
Dan