FAQ for MT4 Build 600

FXCM has recently received many inquiries from traders about MetaQuotes’ latest update to the MT4 platform (Build 600). In this thread, I’ll post solutions from our tech support team for the most frequently asked questions.

[I]* If you have additional questions about MT4, please free free to ask them here, and I’ll post the responses I receive from our tech support team.[/I]

[I]The latest version of FXCM MetaTrader 4 now saves your expert advisors, indicators, profiles, etc. in a different location on your computer. If you do not see your EAs and indicators in the navigator folder, your MT4 files are most likely still saved in the old folder location and are not recognized by the new version build of MT4.[/I]

[B]Please follow the instructions below to move your files to the correct directory on build 600 of MT4.[/B]

1. First, find where you have your MT4 files saved currently. Below are the file types and location where these files may be currently saved on your computer. You may also want to check your desktop or downloads folders to see if you have copies of these files saved there.

1. Open MT4 > click on File > Open data folder > then double click the MQL4 folder. This will show you where your experts, indicators, etc. should be saved on your computer. Unless you have UAC settings disabled the folder location will be [B]C:\Users[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4[/B]

1. Copy the files from the old location to the new location. For your EA’s, for example, you will copy the contents of the [B]C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\experts[/B] folder to [B]C:\Users[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4\Experts[/B]

[I]MetaEditor has changed in MT4 build 600 and as a result some expert advisors and indicators may have to be recompiled. Please follow the steps below to recompile your experts and indicators.[/I]

1. Open MT4 > go to File > Open data folder > double click on the MQL4 folder

2. Double click on the name of the expert advisor or indicator to open the file in MetaEditor.

1. If there are any errors when compiling the expert or indicator you will see those appear at the bottom of MetaEditor. You will need to address these errors before you are able to add the expert or indicator onto an MT4 chart.

[I]Please follow the instructions below to save backups for your MT4 files (expert advisors, indicators, libraries, templates, and profiles). It’s often a good idea to save a backup before uninstalling/reinstalling MT4, transferring files to another installation of MT4, etc.[/I]

1. Create a new folder where you would like for your backup files to be saved. To create a new folder right click > go to New > click on Folder.

1. Navigate to where your where your MT4 files are saved on your computer. Depending on the build of MT4 you are using they could be saved in a couple of different locations.

a. Build 509 and older: [B]C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\experts[/B]

b. Build 600: Open MT4 > go to File > Open data folder > then double click on the MQL4 folder. Depending on your settings this may go to either folder location below.

i. [B]C:\Users[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4\Experts[/B]

ii. [B]C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\MQL4[/B]

1. Copy the folders you would like to save and paste them into the new MT4 backup folder.

[I]If you receive an error message when you are trying to uninstall MT4 stating you do not have sufficient privileges you will need to edit a value in your computer’s registry.[/I]

1. Press Start then type in “regedit” and press enter. This will bring up your computer’s registry.

2. Press ctrl + F and type in “EnableLUA”. (You can also find this by going through the menu tree on the right. You would need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System)

3. Double click on EnableLUA in the right side of the registry editor window.

1. Change the value data from 1 to 0 and press OK.

1. Close the registry editor window and restart your computer. After you have restarted your computer, you will be able to uninstall MT4 though the task manager.

Where is the terminal.exe on the new 600 builds? what is that complete file path? Does it even use terminal.exe?
Is there a way to move the 600 builds on a different drive other than C ? I have copied mine to D drive, but cannot locate terminal.exe file to start it from the D drive.

This update really, really sucks. And that is being polite.
tester doesn’t work. file write errors. puts it on what ever drive it chooses to, and ignores the drive you tell it to.
thanks

C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4 erminal.exe

You can select a different installation folder when you run the MT4 installation program available at http://download.fxcorporate.com/FXCM-MT4Install.exe

I appreciate your frustration. Unfortunately, since MT4 is a third party platform, FXCM has no control over the changes MetaQuotes chooses to make to their own software. If you have difficulty running any of your EAs after following the suggestions in this FAQ, you may have to contact your EA provider for an updated version to their code that’s compatible with the new MetaEditor compiler.

Thanks Jason. the editor is nice. Long run it will all be a plus.

Hi Jason,

thanks for supporting everybody around here.
I have 3 issues, that are somehow related. Any support or help is appreciated.

Issue 1, location of Datafolder
I have a very fast but quite small C: harddisk. My MT4 terminal is installed on D:
Still the datafolder is on C: and also the ProgramData Metquotes where historical data
for backtesting is stored is on C:
How can I change the datafolder directory drive and how can I change the MetaQuotes folder
to my D drive?

The next 2 issues are related with Signal processing (automated trading).
Because of the combination of these issues I lost 60% of an account in 1 day. Please understand, I am not complaining, I just want to help to let the system function as described in the Help file video tutorials of MetaQuotes.

Please note: my MT4 system is running 24 7 uninterrupted. Next to that I have a second system that I use to remote monitor the performance.
Also note that my equity is around 410 GPB ($680) and I set a 35% useage limit on the signal setting dialog.
The signal I copied was Fenditest: www mql5 com en signals 27755 (Balance 147,387.41 USD)
(By the way FendiTest completely blew its $180k account into -$40k a couple of days later)

Issue 2: Incorrect lotsize calculation

Part from my journal of 27 feb 2014:

Signal - FendiTest for xxxxx subscription found, 2014.03.26 expiration, enabled
Signal - money management: use 25% of deposit, equity limit: 200.00 GBP, deviation slippage: 0.5 spreads, copy SL TP: enabled
Signal - connecting to signal server
Signal - different specification of symbol USDJPY.ecn, signal provider has maximal volume 1000.00, subscriber has 40.00
Signal - different specification of symbol GBPUSD.ecn, signal provider has maximal volume 1000.00, subscriber has 40.00
Signal - different specification of symbol EURUSD.ecn, signal provider has maximal volume 1000.00, subscriber has 40.00
Signal - signal provider has balance 147 387.41 USD, leverage 1:500
Signal - subscriber has balance 450.09 GBP, leverage 1:100
Signal - percentage for volume conversion selected according to the ratio of balances and leverages, new value 1%

If I interpret the information in the Help correctly about lotsize calculation, this is how my lotsize should be calculated:

35% of my balance is $238.21
Copier balance Signal balance ratio: 238,21 : 147,387.41 = 0.16%
Copier leverage Signal leverage ratio: 100 : 500 = 0.2

Actual calculated lot size ratio: 0.03%

How come the percentage is calculated to 1% ? It seems that 1% is the minimum percentage

Signal trades in 5 and 10 lots per trade. My brokers minimum lot size is 0.01

Unfortunately because of the 1% trading is done in lots of 0.05 and 0.1

Because of this not all orders could be fulfilled.

This alone would be bad for money management, unfortunately I noticed another issue that has devastating effects and is different than specified:

Issue 3: Orders are NOT placed on the signal but appear to be held in a queue and are executed when there is enough balance margin to do so

Yesterday (26 Feburary 2014) I noticed that because of the lotsizing and the open positions orders could not be processed. I manually closed quite some positions. The Help documentation states that currently open orders are not copied, only when a new order is opened at the signal provider, a new trade should be opened in my account. When I look at the order statement of the signal provider, no trades were placed between 26 feb 16:40 and 27 feb 00:21.

When I closed my orders manually it was around 22:56. Shortly after I closed the open orders, new ones were being placed. And are being placed there and then, at the market. Unrelated to the actual trading of the signal provider.

My journal file shows this, after closing orders, several new ones are opened instantaneously and not based on actual order signals from the signal provider.

Please help me out on these issues. Is there anything I can do to correct this or is it really set in stone by MT4?

If the lotsize percentage can not be lower than 1%, we need to know. As this limits our choices when a signal provider has a large balance and or leverage compared to your account.

I am certain that when these 2 issues are solved (more accurate lotsizing and executing orders only based on actual trade signals of the signal provider) then I would not have lost 60% of my account in a day. In the current situation it is not safe for me to copy any provider with a large account, unless I increase my account with so much money that it can handle the 1% ratio.

Any help, fix or patch is appreciated. If it would be possible to manually set a rate (below 1%, lets say in 4 decimals) then using signals would keep the risk limited to what the signal provider is risking.

If it helps I can send the journal log file, just let me know.

Hi Tjark,

Thanks for posting your questions and welcome to BabyPips!

I’ve shared your questions with FXCM’s technical support team and will post their responses when I receive them :slight_smile:

We’ve recently received calls from traders experiencing difficulty with the latest platform build released by MetaQuotes (Build 625). Problems reported range from missing charts or missing rates, to an inability to launch the platform altogether. Our customer service team has been able to assist people having these issues, so I encourage you to contact our 24-hour live support, if you updated to MT4 Build 625 and have any of the problems I mentioned.

i have follwing code which was working perfectly i old MT4

for (pos36 = OrdersTotal() - 1; pos36 >= 0; pos36–) {
OrderSelect(pos36, SELECT_BY_POS);
if (OrderSymbol() == Symbol() && OrderMagicNumber() == MagicNumber) {
Li40 = TRUE;
Ld_76 += OrderProfit();
if (OrderType() == OP_BUY || OrderType() == OP_BUYSTOP) count44++;
if ((OrderType() == OP_BUY || OrderType() == OP_BUYSTOP) && OrderOpenPrice() > orderopenpricex52) {
orderopenpricex52 = OrderOpenPrice();
ticket48 = OrderTicket();
}

now in Build 600 it generate following error

[B]Return value of ‘OrderSelect’ should be checked
[/B]
it not effect execution and compiling
how i can overcome this issue

Hi Tfxsuccess,

Please confirm that all your MT4 files are located in the correct folders and recompiled.

[B]Please be advised that after August 1st, MetaQuotes will stop supporting MT4 builds older than 600.[/B] After that date clients who use a build older than 600 will receive an “old version” error message and will not be able to access their accounts. Build 600 was released Feb. 3rd 2014 so most MT4 users should have already updated to a newer build. However, if you’re still using an old version of MT4, you can get the latest MT4 build (number 670 at the time of this post) from our website.

You can check your MT4 build number on the platform by going to Help and clicking on About.

For traders with any questions about why MetaQuotes is no longer supporting older builds, this article on their website has more information.

My MT4 build 600 always showing wrong arrows problem. I will attach an indicator Picture with new build 600 compiler and old one. Please tell me how to fix arrows problem on my mt4 build 670.

Hi Kuei,

Welcome to BabyPips! :slight_smile:

When did you update to build 670, and what build were you using previously?

Also, can you tell me the name of the indicators in your picture? Where did you download it?

Thanks,
Jason

I updated recently. I almost open mt4 every day. MT4 keep updating when they have new one. The indicator is Lawgirl’s Trend Display v1.02. from FF. I download long time ago, but i keep using it. and I did a little modify.

While I’m not familiar with that indicator, MetaQuotes recently made changes which require that you save your indicator files in different folder than you did previously. In order to find the correct location, please go to File > Open Data Folder. An explorer window will appear. From there, go to the MQL4 folder and then the Indicators folder inside that.

You will then see the correct file location in the address bar of explorer. This file location will be unique to the copy of MT4 on your computer. For example, on my computer the location is: [B]“C:\Users\jrogers\AppData\Roaming\M etaQuotes\Terminal\BB190E062770E27C 3E79391AB0D1A117\MQL4\Indicators”[/B]