FXCM Basic Account - Leverage question

Hi, I’m new to Forex trading. I’m a little confused here.
I just opened a FXCM basic account with 100$, but I was not told to select any leverage in the opening process, where can i check my leverage?

[B]Dear Inchaos,

I am in no way as knowledgeable or qualified as Jason Rogers, nor do I have any FXCM endorsement to answer user questions; however, Jason posted a reply on one of my threads, recently, which explains this topic in some depth and, therefore, answers your question; for this reason, I am taking the initiative to quote it here:
[/B]

[B]
I hope this helps![/B]

Thanks, PipMeHappy! I couldn’t have said it better myself :22:

Hi Inchaos,

Welcome to BabyPips!

The key point here is that it is your effective leverage, not your maximum available leverage that determines the risk you are taking with your account. Just like the speed you are driving matters more than the top speed of your car in terms of safety.

As a general rule of thumb, try not to exceed 10:1 effective leverage on your account. That means if you have $100 in your account, you don’t want to control more than $1000 total in open positions. That equates to 1 micro lot (1k) which is the smallest trade you can place in your account. On that trade size you’re risking approximately 10 cents per pip.

You might want to look at the studies by DailyFX analysts into trader profitability for more info on effective leverage.

Jason