Online trading API

Does FXCM (or any other trading broker platform for that matter) make an online API available ?

I have been using the Trading Station Web spread betting demo and opened a real account and will start trading soon but for me the UI is very poor so I am considering developing something better that I can use.

Hi Damianham,

Welcome to BabyPips! :slight_smile:

FXCM offers multiple API options. You might want to start by looking at ForexConnect which is very flexible.

That said, I would appreciate more feedback from you on what in particular you didn’t like about Trading Station Web. If you are looking for more advanced features from a trading platform, have you considered Trading Station Desktop? As with API options, FXCM offers multiple trading platforms.

Hi Jason

Thanks, pleasure to be here.

First of all there are many good things about Trading Station Web but basically it looks like FXCM didn’t employ a UX expert to design the UI so there are many small things which I don’t like. The layout means it is easy to click the wrong button and find yourself trading in the wrong direction. A big problem could be that it is built on Adobe Flash and this may restrict what you can do. Not sure what the capabilities are though as I would never build a system with Flash.

Thanks for the link to the FXCM APIs, shame they are C++/.NET/Java only. Client side Javascript is what I would be looking for. I build systems with responsive javascript UIs.

I also tried IG.com and I prefer their system for the most part - web based and popout charts and trading from the chart - but it has issues also.

Thanks for the link about the other trading platforms. I think I want to stick with spread betting and making my own decisions but need an interface that makes it quicker and easier to place trades and without inadvertent errors.

That’s understandable. It’s worth noting that all the platforms we offer are available for spread betting accounts.