Regression indicator on Tradestation

Hi Jason,

I noticed on Marketscope 2 that there is now a Regression indicator. It is quite an interesting indicator as it acts like an MA but actually performs in a very different manner! :slight_smile:

I would like to ask is this an FXCM-only indicator or is it generally available? I have not seen it anywhere else and cannot find it on, for example, MT4.

Do you know the formula for its calculation?

Many thanks!

Hi Manxx,

I’m glad you like the Regression indicator we added to Trading Station. I wish I could say it’s an FXCM-only indicator, but it’s not.

In fact, you can see the source code for the indicator in this file: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Candleworks\FXTS2\indicators\Standard\Regression.lua”

A note in the source code says “The formula is described in the Kaufman “Trading Systems and Methods” chapter 3 “Regression Analysis” (page 37-40)”.

Hi Jason,
Thankyou very much for your swift and useful response. In fact it is a benefit that it is not an FXCM-only indicator! I like it and want to build it into my method but was reluctant to do so if it is not a public domain indicator because it would create a problem if you ever withdrew it or I had to change broker.

For example, I used to use the “Shift” indicator in some analyses but that has now disappeared from the latest version of Marketscope. That was a pity because I would have also liked to use that with this regression indicator.

I might add that FXCM has been one of my brokers for many years and I have always been entirely happy with the service, products and training material provided. Marketscope is perhaps the best trading station I have ever come across for flexibility, reliability and clarity. My only disappointment with it has been the poor range of signal alerts available and backtesting facilities - but can’t have everything :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Jason.

It’s my pleasure, Manxx :slight_smile:

Have you searched the custom indicators on FXCMapps.com and FxCodeBase.com? I just search for “Shift” and found several indicators. One of them might be what you’re after. Here’s an example: FXCodeBase.COM: Forex Chart Indicators and Development • View topic - Shifted

I’m happy you’re pleased. The latest version was released on 21 December 2015. If you haven’t updated the platform since then, here’s more info: http://forums.babypips.com/fxcm/38711-fxcm-announcements-28.html#post741057

Please clarify what you mean by signal alerts. As I mentioned above, you may find what you are looking for at FXCMapps.com or FxCodeBase.com. Alternatively, it’s worth noting that your Trading Station login details also give you access to the Mirror Trader platform, so you can automate these signals and strategies on trades your account: Mirror Trader Automated Forex Trading Software - FXCM

Thanks again, Jason,
I maybe should have said “alerts” and not “signals”. I am referring to the “Alerts and trading Automation” tab. I am not looking to automate anything, I would just like to be able to set some alerts so that I wouldn’t have to watch short term charts so intently! But the alerts available here are quite few and limited. For example one cannot set even an MA cross for one EMA and one MVA.

This is certainly not a big issue by any means, and certainly not a complaint! :slight_smile: - it would just make it easier and quicker to react to various significant events occuring - or maybe I am just getting lazy… :smiley:

Hi Manxx,

While such alerts/indicators aren’t loaded onto Trading Station by default, they are available as custom indicators/alerts from FXCMapps.com and FxCodeBase.com.

I encourage you to visit those sites to see what custom apps are available for Trading Station. For example, I searched in the Custom Indicator section of FxCodeBase.com for “cross” and found the Price MA Cross Alert among others.