Trading Station Desktop on Win10

Hi Jason,

Will Trading Station Desktop run on Win10 ?

My computer keeps prompting me to upgrade but I wanted to check with you first.

Appreciate the input.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Since Windows 10 is relatively new, the platform just hasn’t been tested on the OS by as many users as Windows 7. That said, I’m not aware of any specific issues running the platform on Windows 10.

If you want my personsal opinion, I’m delaying the upgrade to Windows 10, and not just for Trading Station. I’m happy with Windows 7 and want more feedback from others before switching.

I might think differently though if I had a touch screen device running Windows 8, since I’ve heard that Windows 10 addresses many of the gripes users had about Windows 8.

Again this is all just my personal opinion. If everything’s running fine for you on Windows 7, I’d say just keep it for now. That’s what I’m doing.

Hi guys,

I made the switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 around the middle of October, and I’ve had no problems with Trading Station, or with anything else.

I followed the download and installation prompts as they appeared — without interrupting the changeover or intervening in any way — and, when it was finally complete, everything was exactly where it should be in my computer. All my apps were moved seamlessly to the new OS, and everything is working fine.

I was surprised at how long the download and installation took. I guess it depends, in part, on how much stuff you have in your computer. If you decide to do it, make a pot of coffee and have a good book, or a couple of magazines, handy. At one point, a screen said, “This will take a while, so sit back and relax.”

There are a few little format differences to get used to — the start menu has been changed (and not for the better, in my opinion). But, that’s trivial.

Microsoft has retired Internet Explorer, and replaced it with something they call Microsoft Edge. It has some bells and whistles which I haven’t activated yet (like Cortana, for example), which might make it worth using. But, the plain vanilla portion of the new Edge browser is no improvement over the Google Chrome browser I’m currently using. I imported all my “favorite” webpages from Chrome to Edge, and the result is really disappointing — the list (which is really long) has been reversed in the Edge browser, and there doesn’t seem to be any way to fix that. So, I’m just ignoring Microsoft Edge, and using Chrome (and, sometimes, Firefox), as before.

I was perfectly happy with Windows XP for 6 years, or so, and wasn’t all that impressed with the so-called improvements built into Windows 7. But, I got used to Windows 7, and have made the move to Windows 10 only because Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 7 sometime in the near future. I wouldn’t have spent $200, or whatever the retail price is, to make that change. But, when it was offered for free, I figured why not. All things considered, I think you should make the switch for free, as well, if you haven’t done so already.

Didn’t mean to go on and on about it. Sorry about that.

Have a great weekend.

Hi Clint,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, your advice is well taken.

Regards Andy

Yes, thanks for the feedback on Windows 10, Clint :57:

Window’s 10 is great but not the default font sizes, does anybody have a solution? Everything else is scalable not the menu option, it’s very microscopic.

Thanks!

Look at the difference.

Thanks for your post. I checked with our tech support team, and apparently it has something to do with how Windows 10 handles resolution. Our developers will look to address it in a future update to Trading Station Desktop. In the meantime, the only way to make the menu text appear larger would be to decrease the resolution of your monitor, which you probably would not want to do, since it would affect other programs you run too.

I have same problems too, any updates on when FXCM will update the platform? Also, for other things which are scaleable, do I have to scale it one by one? Or is there a font size to scale for overall things in the platform? Thanks

Hi Fabian,

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

When the next update to Trading Station Desktop is available, I will make a post to let you know in our announcements thread.

To change the font size across the entire platform, go to System > Options. In the window that pops up, go under “Trading Settings” to “Common View” and adjust the Common Font.

I have changed the font size to 20 but the entire platform still appear to be the same. Ridiculously small font. Please help . Thanks

Hi Fabian,

Please refer to my earlier post in this discussion thread:

Hi Jason,

I just installed Trading Station on my new laptop with Windows 10 - it looks like the font is still very small for the menu options. Is the new update available? I don’t really want to change my resolution on my laptop, do you know of any workarounds if the update is not available yet? Thank you!

Hi Liz,

While the latest version of Trading Station Desktop is compatible with Windows 10, it has not been updated for ultra high definition monitors (UHD). Unfortunately, I have no ETA for you at this time regarding whether the platform will be updated for UHD compatibility anytime soon. I reached out to our tech team, and they suggested the following workarounds:

[B]Trading Station is not displaying fonts correctly.[/B]

One possible solution:
[ol]
[li]Right click on the icon for TSDesktop and select Properties.
[/li]> [li]Select the Compatibility tab
[/li]> [li]Check the box that says Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
[/li]> [li]Have the client restart the app.
[/li]> [/ol]

Another possible solution:
[ol]
[li]Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution
[/li]> [li]Click on “Make text and other items larger or smaller”
[/li]> [li]Adjust them to be larger
[/li]> [/ol]

These steps may or may not resolve the issue.

Alternatives:
[ul]
[li]Client can sign up for VPS and run the TS platform from there. We have seen this work for some clients.
[/li]> [li]In the meantime these clients can use TSWeb and TSMobile.
[/li]> [/ul]