Brand New at All of This

Hello, everyone! First, I am a complete novice at investing and trading – outside a 401k account, which is what got me interested in investing in the first place. I attended a “workshop” for self-directing our IRA. In the end, it was a cover for Online Trading Academy. Since I was completely ignorant about all of this, it was educational for me – not educational enough to get me to sign up for $40,000 in classes however. In the end, I could not get anyone there to let me see any trading logs of the instructors or sales people at the workshop. They make it sound so appealing . . .

My interest was piqued, and soon my research led me here. For whatever reason, I found the prospects of trading money interesting, and everywhere I turned the world wide web suggested that I begin my education here at babypips – so here I am.

I am 40, married, live in Georgia, and would love to learn how to make some extra money in the forex market. I own a tech start-up and work full-time, so I have a long-range plan regarding forex trading. My intention is to educate myself – with your help – paper trade as a hobby for the foreseeable future, then if I am successful at all, possible invest a small amount of money in the market.

I look forward to learning something new – I enjoy that. I am open to any suggestions – especially books, websites, or educational material. Also, what brokerage/platform do you suggest . . . one that will allow me to paper trade on then transition into the actual market.

Welcome to Babypips!

I would recommend going through the babypips school, as it is one of the most comprehensive forex instructional sites i’ve encountered, and theres no charge. Also, it seems you’re a pretty well educated person so my suggestion would be to not pay for any “instructional sites” or “profitable systems” You can find almost everything you need for free, and develop your own system that you are confident in. As far as brokers, i would suggest you do your research and pick a brokerage that has a good reputation, is accredited, and has low spreads. I’m pretty new to this as well, and just learning as much as i can a day at a time. Oh also, try to not pay too much attention to the forums. There are a lot of naysayers and people with the wrong mindset. You have to dig around to find the gems hidden in the excrement sometimes. If you have any questions you can always pm me.