Experimenting with FX.. I think I'm hooked

Hi!

I’m not sure where to start, so I’ll just dive right in:

I’m a unix engineer by day, and a pretty avid linux hobbiest. I got mixed up in bitcoin a while back, and while I more or less broke even, it opened my eyes to currency trading. I started getting interested in alternate cryptocurrencies, and started trading them for fun. The site I used to trade had an API, so I wrote a simple arbitrage bot and had some minor success with it. Recently I thought I’d see if I could apply what I had learned to anything in the real world, and was drawn to FX.

At first I thought I would try to do something similar with the bot, but I quickly realized that this was an entirely different universe. But a universe I found to be really very interesting, and I’ve now jumped down the rabbit hole.

At first I started researching expert advisors, and found quickly that the google results were chock full of get rich quick infomercials. There’s so many people out there who want to take advantage of people like me who are just getting into it, that it’s really difficult to filter out the little nuggets of truth from the rest of the carnival noise. I’m good on the technical side of things, and thought that might give me an advantage. However, the more I read, the more I realized that my background won’t be as big of a bonus as I had hoped. And also that pursuing the perfect expert advisor is not the best way for me to approach this.

The thing is, there is a really big learning curve. And for someone who started the adventure with a google search of “how to trade forex”, the path forward is far from clear. Choosing a broker, choosing software, opening an account, the whole leverage thing, building some semblance of a logical trade strategy based on a thousand other decisions around stops, profit taking, dozens of indicators, and … yeah. Ouch.

But still… it draws me.

So I’m learning. Slowly, mind you! But I’m learning. I’ve opened a demo account, and have been trading with metatrader 5. I’ve found a few indicators that almost have be believing that I have a basic handle on things. Almost. I’ve been trading for a few days with it… I’m up a very humble 4 percent. But at least I’m up, right?

So today, while browsing indicators, I thought … who is this Bill Williams guy anyway, and how am I supposed to read this accelerator thingy. Google led me to a forum post here, which was very newbie friendly. I browsed more around the site, created an account, and here I am introducing myself.

That brings us up to current, doesn’t it!

Going forward, I have a bit of money that I will get going with. If I have anything going for me, I think it’s that I’m not greedy. I’m happy to take a profit, and won’t beat myself up if it takes off like a rocket 5 seconds after I close. Once I (hopefully) find a system, I will stick to it like glue, and slowly apply lessons learned along the way. Definitely approaching it from the conservative side of things.

So I guess that’s where I’m at… looking forward to doing more diving in and seeing where this takes me.

Very nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

Hey!
Kindred spirit here. Discovered forex a month ago and share your new found excitement. I’m a fellow linux junkie/fan boy with a math degree and some basic programming skills. May I ask what broker/ software you ended up choosing? Right now I’m experimenting with demo accounts on a windows virtual machine, but ideally I’d like to have some sort of linux/unix solution.

Best :slight_smile:

Hey there! Glad you found your way into our site and that you’re enjoying your forex experience. Just keep on learning and trying with your system, and don’t be shy to post any questions right here if you’ve got any. See you around!

Welcome to our forex community as well!