Algo trader new to these forums

Hello

I’m not a newbie to forex, but I am to these forums.

I started trading forex a couple of years ago, manually trading a system that I read about in a book. After a few months with little success, I realised that I had no objective evidence that the system even worked, other than the author’s assurances. I began to manually and painstakingly back test the system on historic data, scrolling through charts one bar at a time and recording the system’s trades in a spreadsheet.

I came to three main conclusions from this process:

1. The system would blow up my account if I continued to trade it.
  2. Evidence as to a system’s profitability is critical prior to trading it with real money.
  3. Manual back testing is a major pain in the butt.

Armed with this knowledge, I learned to program trading systems and dived deep into the literature on trading systems development and evaluation. Fast forward a year or two and I now develop, test and trade my own algorithmic trading systems. In general, I use the approaches espoused by Robert Pardo, Ralph Vince and David Aronson, but I am always reading about different ideas and approaches and have an open, if somewhat critical mind.

I am happy to say that I launched my first algorithmic system a little over two months ago, and so far results are good (and more importantly, in line with historical test results). I currently trade two of my systems live and am in the final stages of development of my third (hopefully!) profitable system. I hope to add many more to my portfolio over time.

I joined the forum for a couple of reasons:

1. To share what I’ve learned about trading in general, and in particular about algorithmic system design. I learned some lessons the hard way and it would be nice if others could learn them in a more pain-free manner.
  2. To discuss ideas around algorithmic system development, to find out what others are doing in this regard and to brainstorm ideas with like minded folks.

Looking forward to the discussions.

Welcome to our forex forum community! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on trading and what you have in mind for participating in the forums. Definitely look forward to seeing discussions as well!