Looking for feedback

Hello guys,

I have been considering FOREX trading for a while now and after a few different demo accounts and working out my strategy I opened up a “serious” demo account a few days ago and i want to know what you think about my results.
I keep reading that only a small percentage of traders are successful and believe me, I’ve paid for my trading education over the years through losses in the thousands when I was undisciplined and inexperienced. I would be part of that statistic if i gave up after blowing up my first few accounts when playing in the stock market, and i want to give Forex a try since i’ve always been passionate aobut the markets and felt i had the mindset for it.

My demo account was for an initial 5k deposit (for my real money account i would start with $2500 and am trading 1 lot where each up/down tick is equal to 1$. Are these types of results expected? Is there any reason i should be cautious of expecting results like this long term? Appreciate any input you can give me. I can go into my strategy a little bit if asked…

I cannot post a link due to the 5 post limit so you can paste this into your browser to see my trading history over the last few days.

postimg.org/image/shyge6mbn

Hello ityaboy

Good work. Yes, these result are possible and expected. Of course you do realize the trades you posted started 29 July and ended 31 July. That is 2-3 trading days. your account increased $693 with a starting capital of $5000. That is close to 14% in two days. If you can maintain this result on demo for at least one month before you open a real account then you will get a more realistic idea of what might happen. If you can maintain this performance that would be great. Once you open a real account, time will tell if this is consistent. The norm is usually to trade with only 1-2% of your capital per trade. You are currently trading with 1 lot size per trade. That is 20% of capital per trade. For sustainability if we apply 2% of capital per trade it means your performance would be $69.3 instead of $693. What is the difference? with a smaller lot size you have a higher survival rate in the long run.

Agree with oceanmen. Dont even think about trading full lots with this amount of capital when you go live, a handful of losses and you’re toast

The OP’s posted [I]demo trades[/I] are, indeed, trades involving full standard lots, with pips = $10
(for XXX/USD pairs).

But, he says that, in his [I]live account,[/I] he will be trading with [B]pips = $1[/B] — which means [B]mini-lots,[/B] not standard lots. If this is the case, then he will not be over-leveraged, and his risk percentage will be in the acceptable range of [B]1½%-2% of capital[/B] for most trades having a 50-pip (or tighter) SL.

As Clint mentioned, as long as your trade is in that range of 1-2% per capital, you will not have to worry about suffering huge losses. i did not check what pip values your lots are, but i agree with Clint. You are doing the right thing in that case.

Clint said: [B]“in his live account, he will be trading with pips = $1 — which means mini-lots”[/B]