Newbie and not afraid to admit it

Hi! I’m a Yank living in Florida, USA, and although I’ve traded in the stock market for years, I’m new to Forex. I am a medical doctor but near retirement, and am interested in trading Forex as a way to continue to make some money after I retire. Even in medicine, it is hard to get hired if you’re in your sixties, and I’m 63 now. I don’t want to eat into my retirement capital too fast.

I had rejected the idea of delving into Forex in the past, because I figured “what do I know about currencies?” I believed in the adage of “trade what you know”, and my riskiest speculation involved future options in Health Sector stocks. But since Bush screwed the pooch, gains there have been slow.

So, recently I’ve started looking more into Forex, and the more I look, the more I like what I see. I like the way its sheer size makes it immune to manipulation. I like how it is not amenable to regulation by any one country. I like that there are no day-to-day gaps to trip you up. And I like how ready everyone seems to be to give of their time and teach freely; a sincere sign of unforced enthusiasm. Gotta like that.

So, hope to get to know all of you better as we share successes and setbacks. I promise to be brutally honest when I screw up, and humble when I win. Hopefully more of the latter than the former.

That’s effectively very nearly true of the interbank market itself, but far from true of the “brokers” through whom many retail traders trade forex. Just a cautionary note to take care in selecting one (some are actually counterparty market-makers pretending to be brokers, i.e. they trade against their own clients and have a direct incentive for the clients to lose. A genuine brokerage isn’t involved in the outcome of clients’ trades and prefers them to win, if anything).

And welcome to the forum.

(Some medical/biotech companies, especially those in gene-therapy research areas, might be interesting at the moment, regardless of Bush’s dog, as it were?).

Hi Yank, I am confused, what do you mean " Bush screwed the pooch" if you are referring to the former president, he has not been in the game for 7+ years. Then the part about gains being slow in the healthcare sector, more confusion, while 2016 has been a down year for healthcare the 5 years before that healthcare has been a leading sector, I have a Biotech fund in a retirement account that has tripled during this time frame. So just looking for a little clarification and welcome to the thread