Hello from the latest newbie trader!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse, and I am just going through the School section of the site. I got interested in trading forex as a way to make believe I am a big powerful Wall Street shark (not really, that was a joke) but also as a means of part time income supplementation.

My main job is a business intelligence developer where I spend all day analyzing data, building data warehouses, and creating reports and dashboards to help people understand the data. I thought that forex trading would be a nice pivot that could utilize some of my existing skill set and provide me with around $150 - $500 a month of extra income (once my account gets up to a good balance).

I also find analyzing the charts and executing the trades to be very fun. I am still learning, so I haven’t done any actual trading, just playing around with the paper trading feature on trading view. My goals are to once I finish going through the School section to develop a trading plan focused around trend continuation strategies, back test it with historical data, then demo trade it for a few months, then find a broker that will open up a $2,000 account for some real money trading.

I am looking forward to hanging out and learning from you all!

Would you approach training for professional sports with this supplementation mindset? You’re underestimating the degree of difficulty.

So you are saying that it’s not possible to make a part time income trading??? Or is your objection the fact that I am not going to trade for 10 hours a day??? I am not looking for a full time income here, just a few dollars on the side doing something I find fun. I am certainly not “training for professional sports” and even taking one or two swing trades a week should generate profit once I find a strategy with a positive expectancy.