Newbie from Peterborough

Hi All,

I am just starting out on my Forex journey. I’ve booked on a course with Learn To Trade. My course commences on 2nd May, and I was advised by one of the traders to have a look at your forum.

I’m married with four children and looking to take a new direction with my vocation. I’ve been buying currency for around nine years during the time I’ve been involved in my current position. My experience of buying currency is limited solely to spot and forward contracts to pay for the purchase of goods relating to my business transactions. I have zero experience of Forex trading, but I’m expecting the Learn To Trade course will provide me with a good understanding of the basics and I’ll be using MT4 and Smartcharts to get started.

Over the last year or so I’ve been spending far too much time at work and not enough time with my wife and kids, so I’m looking to redress that. I know I’ve got so much to learn, but Forex trading is something that has fascinated me for a long time, and gradually it’s drawn me in. I’m at the point where I need this new challenge, to learn new skills and develop them.

I’m super-excited about this opportunity, and I’m looking forward to the learning curve. I am keen to progress as quickly as I can, and fortunately my current position allows me a good deal of flexibility to undertake this endeavour. I look forward also to hearing from anyone who’s been in a similar position to myself at this moment in time, and to sharing with you my progress as this new chapter unfolds. Any advice or pointers on where to look on this forum are most appreciated.

Have a great day, and drop me a line if you want to chat!

Blue skies,
Damo :slight_smile:

Hi.
Have you paid anything yet?
If not, I suggest you cancel. They have nothing to teach that you cant learn at the free school here and elsewhere.
If you’ve paid, don’t let them pressure you into further courses

Hi CarlosRay,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve paid a course fee and I’m going to attend. It’s three days, hands on plus 90 mins 1-2-1 support included. I will definitely bear in mind what you have said about further courses.

This site is massive, and has a wealth of information from what I can see. I’ve started by introducing myself and moved onto the “School” tab, so now I’m working my way through the lessons. Would you say this is a good direction to be moving in? If so, where should I be looking after that, and if not what should I be doing instead?

Hi Damo.
Work your way through the school, taking all the quizzes so you know how much you actually understood.
Open a demo account with a reputable, UK based and FCA regulated broker. That way you can get used to the layout of the trading platforms, most brokers will offer 2 or 3 versions so try them all to see which you prefer.
Later you may open a very small live account, perhaps a couple of hundred pounds - your broker account will let you change the currency to dollars at no cost if you prefer that, whereas your bank will charge you. Youcan always change it back prior to withdrawing.
When you’re live, start trading the smallest unit you can, micro lots. This way you can afford long losing streaks while your still learning.
Good luck

Thanks for your advice CarlosRay!

Hi Damo,

Are you from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire? If so, likewise :-).

I attended a Learn To Trade seminar for free a year or so ago. It was essentially marketing to get you to buy their course so I cannot comment further on their actual learning materials, i’d be careful at shelling out any more money however. Take it all in and keep your wits about you.

Let us know how you get on and if you fancy an fx related chat over skype or something - i’ll be able to help point out some basic info.

Good luck!
Ben

Hi Ben I have also planned to go to this course with learntotrade - so much mixed reviews online on how to get started

I am still going through the online courses on babypips so I have taken Carlos advice but I do feel I need someone to hold my hand and get me started - I guess we are not all savy like Carlos

I am sure once I get the basic tips and tricks I will get the hang of it

What is your thoughts on this how was the course for you was it worth it?

Sorry XAN, I think you’ve misunderstood me. I didn’t take the course, I went to one of their free seminars which they essentially used as a marketing hook to try and sell you their actual course for £1500-£2000 i believe.

The person leading it knew what he was talking about, but at the end of the day he was just a salesman.

Ben